Pep Guardiola's calls for more home fans fallout

Kopparberg

A leading Manchester City supporters group says manager Pep Guardiola's call for more fans to attend their Premier League game with Southampton is "disappointing and uncalled for".

After Wednesday's Champions League win over RB Leipzig, Guardiola said he "would like more people" on Saturday.

Kevin Parker, general secretary of City's official supporters' club, said the comments were "frustrating".

"It's not factual, our attendances are generally excellent," he added. 

"He [Guardiola] doesn't understand the difficulties that some people might have getting to a game on a Wednesday evening at 8pm."

Attendances for City's Champions League games at home have tended to be lower than those for Premier League games.

The Etihad Stadium capacity is about 55,000 and there was a crowd of 38,062 against RB Leipzig, with the away section virtually empty.

Guardiola wanted more Man City fans at FA Cup win over Fulham

City averaged 54,219 during the 2019-20 Premier League season and more than 51,000 attended their first two league games at home this term.

"It does also play into the hands of supporters from other teams who want to take every opportunity to have a go at City for what they think are the poor attendances," Parker said.

"People refer to the Etihad as the 'Emptyhad'. It's a little bit of fun by the opposition supporters but there's no justification for it.

"He [Guardiola] is absolutely the best coach in the world but, in the nicest possible way, I think maybe he should stick to that."

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

How are the fans gonna play victim in this scenario :laugh: I don’t see what he’s done wrong, apart from ask for more fans to show up. I’m sure I’ve seen managers do that before. Paranoid fanbase 

It's embarrassing really, isn't it

Multiple trophy winners with one of the best club sides in the world - if not THE best. Some of the worlds best players - win most weeks at home and abroad

And all the manager asks is for the fans to show up and support

Big ask...

1 hour ago, FreshOwl said:

How are the fans gonna play victim in this scenario :laugh: I don’t see what he’s done wrong, apart from ask for more fans to show up. I’m sure I’ve seen managers do that before. Paranoid fanbase 

The fans are annoyed because as we know fans take a lot of pride in their attendances, and their attendances are excellent but he’s still moaning-showing how out of touch he is because he can’t comprehend why these people can’t get to the games

• Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

The fans are annoyed because as we know fans take a lot of pride in their attendances, and their attendances are excellent but he’s still moaning-showing how out of touch he is because he can’t comprehend why these people can’t get to the games

Agree 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

When sky decides to misquote or reframe the sentiment, you realise where the problem is. Just listen to the clip and be done with it. Dragging this on for no reason. British football fans, so weird man 

He literally said they’ll need the support of the fans so everyone should come. Sky and other news outlets are milking it as much as they can.

I’m pretty sure I’ve heard Wednesday managers over the years say something like “we’ll need everyone to turn up on Saturday to support the team” but that wasn’t an issue? 

UKs gone barking mad 

15 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

When sky decides to misquote or reframe the sentiment, you realise where the problem is. Just listen to the clip and be done with it. Dragging this on for no reason. British football fans, so weird man 

“I would like more people to come to the next game on Saturday,” Guardiola told BT Sport after the 6-3 victory, attended by a crowd of just over 38,000.

“We will need the people next Saturday, please, because we will be tired. I invite all our people to come next Saturday, 3pm, and watch the game.”

I dunno-for me it’s a bit disrespectful, they’re good fans, they turn up, they get more fans than Chelsea or Liverpool in, in Europe they don’t have loads of floating fans and tourists to make up the numbers like other clubs have.

35 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

I dunno-for me it’s a bit disrespectful, they’re good fans, they turn up, they get more fans than Chelsea or Liverpool in, in Europe they don’t have loads of floating fans and tourists to make up the numbers like other clubs have.

Agree.

People have lives and other commitments. City probably don't have the support base to rely on filling a 50,000+ stadium for every game regardless. It might be the one area where the historical difference between them and United remains the most apparent (and might always be). 

If you're a Man City fan who has to pick and choose their games for whatever reason, I'm not sure you pick the midweek CL game either. These CL group games at City always look super flat to me in terms of atmosphere. 

• Like 1