Windass/Rhodes misses ....

Guest hk_owl

The only football I watch is Wednesday. I’m not sure strikers in the Prem take every chance they get, but the score lines would suggest otherwise.

IMO Rhodes and Windass didn’t miss “sitters” yesterday, despite Brian Laws grinding that they did. Chances, yes. Chances that better footballers might have made a better go of? Possibly...

I think we’ve got a poor squad made up of average footballers, I had hoped the managers we’ve had could get a bit more out of them, but I think we’ll run out of time.

It's football.

Salah, Mane and Jota 'missed' a load of chances against Newcastle yesterday and they are different class to our shower.

At least we managed to create the chances. 

Moore and his staff have succeeded in that respect. It's just happened too late in the season to save us. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

It's really clear to anyone watching that Moore and his management team have VASTLY improved us going forward and with number of chances we create

Bodes well if Chansiri is going to let him keep his job for next season

I agree with your post, & also had a chuckle about how you've constructed it, which demonstrates how you've changed as a poster.

My guesstimate is that 80% want DM to have a go next season.

4 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

It's really clear to anyone watching that Moore and his management team have VASTLY improved us going forward and with number of chances we create

We're definitely scoring more under Moore.

Unfortunately, we're also conceding more, as well.

Monk (11 games)

F – 6 (0.55 per game)

A – 10 (0.91 per game)

Pulis (10)

F – 6 (0.60)

A – 12 (1.20)

Thompson (11)

F – 11 (1.00)

A – 16 (1.45)

Moore (12)

F – 14 (1.17)

A – 20 (1.67)

I posted earlier in the season when some were frustrated with our style under Monk about us being like a boxer with a glass jaw and a weak right hook, and suggested that adopting a more gung-ho approach would lead to us conceding more, and would therefore probably fail to improve results.

Unfortunately, our squad is so weak and disjointed that as soon as we try to make the most of one strength, we inevitably expose another weakness.

In fact, the correlation between our improving attacking play and our worsening defensive play is quite remarkable:

1380339720_Screenshot2021-04-25at09_13_32.png.ebf10e4181464a81848b6aa7efddc9f7.png

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Best finisher in our squad. That’s all that matters.

I think you are probably right about Rhodes being our most deadly striker. But the issue is ( we all know this )that the other players have to create the chances for Rhodes.

Rhodes is quite slow and these chances have to layed on a plate in and around the 6 yard box.

When we were not creating many chances it was a waste of time playing Rhodes but under Moore we are creating chances so I would play him.

I think the reason that he is not getting picked is because his closing down is poor and you can see winning the ball back in attacking positions is part of Moores game plan.

I haven't seen anything that makes me think that Paterson should lead the line, but I do like him as an attacking midfield player.

For me our best forward at the moment is Windass, his movement and pace are much better than our other forwards, yes he makes bad decisions but most games he at least tests the goal keeper a couple of times. Injury free he would get us 20 plus goals in league 1.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Monk (11 games)

F – 6 (0.55 per game)

A – 10 (0.91 per game)

Pulis (10)

F – 6 (0.60)

A – 12 (1.20)

Thompson (11)

F – 11 (1.00)

A – 16 (1.45)

Moore (12)

F – 14 (1.17)

A – 20 (1.67)

I posted earlier in the season when some were frustrated with our style under Monk about us being like a boxer with a glass jaw and a weak right hook, and suggested that adopting a more gung-ho approach would lead to us conceding more, and would therefore probably fail to improve results.

Unfortunately, our squad is so weak and disjointed that as soon as we try to make the most of one strength, we inevitably expose another weakness.

In fact, the correlation between our improving attacking play and our worsening defensive play is quite remarkable:

1380339720_Screenshot2021-04-25at09_13_32.png.ebf10e4181464a81848b6aa7efddc9f7.png

Quite.

The problem is that the squad is completely unbalanced. Moore is playing a system he has never employed as a manager to date. He probably doesn't want to play with wing-backs ling-term but it is what he feels is the best with this bunch. We can't play a flat back 4 because we don't have 2 good enough full-backs. We have had plenty of managers in the last 4 seasons, none of them have deemed Penney good enough. The only manager who picked him this season was Thompson and his win ratio as manager dipped significantly in the games that Penney started. 

We also don't have a focal point striker to play 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1. Rhodes is a penalty box player whose contribution to build up play is minimal and is incapable of completing much more than 60 minutes on a regular basis. 

It is credit to Moore that we are playing more attacking football and creating more chances but in trying to get forward more we are more open defensively and can get caught out because we don't have a single forward capable of holding the ball up effectively or a midfield unit that is dynamic and physical enough to stop the opposition. That has been combined with some very basic errors at the back - Borner yesterday and in getting sent off at Reading, Lees against Swansea, Wildsmith against QPR, the shambles of Rotherham's winner. 

The poor balance of the squad is exacerbated by the lack of motivational leadership. It beggars belief that we have failed to pick up a single point from behind considering how many times we have been behind.  

Edited by Guest

Guest T Hardy
3 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Sadly I think this owner might sack DM if we go down. The target will have been to stay up and DC probably thought we had no chance of relegation 

8 hours ago, Indoor Owl said:

Rhodes has less goals per minute with Wednesday, and is a less deadly finisher, than Atdhe Nuhiu. Even considering that Atdhe spent most of his minutes in at 80+ trying to hold I'm out the game. 

"Deadliest finisher in the league"? 

I'm on board with Holmowl in that he's the best we have, and even think Rhodes should have been starting because he's an actual striker under contract, and with Rhodes, Windass, and Paterson up front he was more effective in a four game steak than he was in four years, but you have to be kidding me with this nonsense. 

Lunacy to think Rhodes is even top ten in finishing in the Championship based on what we've seen, and the missed chances lately. 

Wrong on so many levels. Adthes goals per minutes is far worse than Rhodes. And if you care to check the stats for chances converted in the Championship this season, guess who comes out on top for the whole league? Yes the man you hate.

21 minutes ago, Emilianenko said:

Wrong on so many levels. Adthes goals per minutes is far worse than Rhodes. And if you care to check the stats for chances converted in the Championship this season, guess who comes out on top for the whole league? Yes the man you hate.

He's down to 4th now, missing more chances. Also, on that particular stat, Chey Dunkley was the 2nd best player in the entire division last season for chances converted - not sure it is the best barometer. Unless you think we should play Dunkley up front? 

of course its disappointing when we miss chances but at least we are now making them. I know the results aren't there just yet but I can at least see us playing like a proper football team again. I'm a lot more confident going down with Moore and this coaching team than I was before they arrived. Because they've got this sorry lot playing to a decent tune, imagine what they could do if they are allowed to recruit their own players? Really impressed with Windass recently, Moore seems to have spoken to him and his game has improved the longer the season has gone on. Will be a valuable asset next season in League 1.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

He's down to 4th now, missing more chances. Also, on that particular stat, Chey Dunkley was the 2nd best player in the entire division last season for chances converted - not sure it is the best barometer. Unless you think we should play Dunkley up front? 

Not playing Dunkley up front but maybe have someone else on set pieces as that’s clearly where he scores from. 
I’ll settle for fourth best finisher in division to lead our line.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Emilianenko said:

Not playing Dunkley up front but maybe have someone else on set pieces as that’s clearly where he scores from. 
I’ll settle for fourth best finisher in division to lead our line.

4th best finished in the division on the one spurious stat you choose to use.

Last seasons best finisher in the entire division based on this stat? Nakhi Wells. I just don't know why he hasn't been snapped up by a Premier League club.

Edited by Guest

11 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

4th best finished in the division on the one spurious stat you choose to use.

Last seasons best finisher in the entire division based on this stat? Nakhi Wells. I just don't know why he hasn't been snapped up by a Premier League club.

So who would you like our chances to fall to?

Paterson played up front again yesterday and was totally inept again.The ball just bounces off him and never sticks.

Rhodes on the other hand keeps the ball and lays it off or draws fouls. Shall we keep playing Paterson up top?

I thought Pattersons misses were as bad TBH, sums our season up for me that game.  
Showed real quality at times, good football in patches, enough chances to win the game yet NOT clinical enough mentally in both boxes. 
As well as the missed chances, silly mistake from Borner for 1st goal and bad defending for the 3rd.

5 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Monk (11 games)

F – 6 (0.55 per game)

A – 10 (0.91 per game)

Pulis (10)

F – 6 (0.60)

A – 12 (1.20)

Thompson (11)

F – 11 (1.00)

A – 16 (1.45)

Moore (12)

F – 14 (1.17)

A – 20 (1.67)

I guess I know the above was the case but it’s interesting to see in as much detail. 

At the end of the day every permutation of team setup and every manager has failed. This obviously points at the players we have being the problem. With error prone defenders you have to set the whole team up to defend. This only works if you have clinical strikers to take the few opportunities you create. 
If you go the other way and focus on creating chances knowing you need many chances to get a couple of goals then you need super reliable defenders. Again we fail. Our defenders are unbelievably error prone. 

These deficiencies could maybe be covered up if we had a great midfield who chipped in with some important goals. But we are terrible here as well. Our best player is Bannan who’s main Achilles heel is.....scoring. 

Much work to be done in the summer...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Emilianenko said:

So who would you like our chances to fall to?

Paterson played up front again yesterday and was totally inept again.The ball just bounces off him and never sticks.

Rhodes on the other hand keeps the ball and lays it off or draws fouls. Shall we keep playing Paterson up top?

Rhodes really doesn't keep the ball that well - he has done it a few times in recent matches and it stands out like a sore thumb because generally build up play is not part of his game.

I'd like Rhodes to make a bit more of a nuisance of himself and bust a gut to get across defenders more in the box. 

I agree Paterson is not as good, I'd like the chances to fall to Rhodes but I'd also like him to do more to try and get on the end of things in the box. Is he our best striker? Undoubtedly. We can all see that, I am sure our managers can see that, Moore won't be ignorant of the fact Rhodes has started in many of our wins this season. Unfortunately they can also see that in many games he looks like I busted flush after an hour and doesn't seem physically capable of being up for starting 2 games in a week very often. 

4 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Rhodes really doesn't keep the ball that well - he has done it a few times in recent matches and it stands out like a sore thumb because generally build up play is not part of his game.

I'd like Rhodes to make a bit more of a nuisance of himself and bust a gut to get across defenders more in the box. 

I agree Paterson is not as good, I'd like the chances to fall to Rhodes but I'd also like him to do more to try and get on the end of things in the box. Is he our best striker? Undoubtedly. We can all see that, I am sure our managers can see that, Moore won't be ignorant of the fact Rhodes has started in many of our wins this season. Unfortunately they can also see that in many games he looks like I busted flush after an hour and doesn't seem physically capable of being up for starting 2 games in a week very often. 

Rhodes keeps the ball better than anyone we have

• Haha 1