Bailey Cadamarteri

17 minutes ago, Daizan10 said:

Doesn't matter if hes over-hyped. take the risk and get him tied down as soon as we can. Some will be great and make us some money, some will not and just fade out. But the small amount he can be tied down to as a 17 year old is a lot less than the money we are throwing away paying for past it mercenaries. Got to get them committed before their agent knows they are good and they have other options. 

That’s the thing, maybe young Hirst was overhyped, maybe he wasn’t  Ironically he’s only playing cameo roles at Rotherham, but he’d be a starter here, such is our need for a target man 

The thing with him, Shaw and Urhoghide, they’d all shown enough promise not to allow their contracts to run down  If there was even a chance that they might be able to a job for us, then they stay as part of the squad, thus enabling us to avoid having to buy in back ups   So, if we were unsure, put them out on loan so we can get a second opinion. The thing is, there was never any doubt with any of them, there was always a role here for them as part of the squad

Edited by gurujuan
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Guest Smackavolley
13 minutes ago, Daizan10 said:

Doesn't matter if hes over-hyped. take the risk and get him tied down as soon as we can. Some will be great and make us some money, some will not and just fade out. But the small amount he can be tied down to as a 17 year old is a lot less than the money we are throwing away paying for past it mercenaries. Got to get them committed before their agent knows they are good and they have other options. 

His dad has the inside track and the lad is an out and out goal scorer.  The club won't be dictating how this one plays out.

7 minutes ago, Smackavolley said:

Not sure it was that straightforward. I guess that Borukov and his agent wanted too much money + he was hardly setting the world on fire.

Bit puzzled by Cadamarteri Snr's comments in the article. His lad has always been rated as a top prospect by anyone who's seen him. Parents and coaches alike. It's good to see all our age groups playing 2 up front now. Be interesting to see what happens to the goals for column for the remainder of the season. There's a lot of U23's coming to the end of their contract. Any who will be definitely been released should go. I'd like to see four or five of the U18's given a run in the U23's now.

It would also free up places in the U18's for Cadamarteri and other promising U16's to play U18 football. Neither side is playing for anything so fast track development when the opportunity is there.

I’m sure we will see this happen. Not sure why we haven’t seen more of the U18s getting a run out with the U23s, unless they’re deemed not good enough. It’s a bit odd for instance, that the U23s have played all season without a centre forward, and often without a forward of any description, and yet Bonnington has rarely had a sniff

15 hours ago, Morepork said:

DC act now!!!

Buy the lad a train ticket to Leicester or Glasgow. Job done.......

At least he can’t go to Belgium, unless DC is happy to stump up a £5k fine for a trip abroad.

Which he probably would come to think of it......

• Haha 1

Guest Smackavolley
18 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I’m sure we will see this happen. Not sure why we haven’t seen more of the U18s getting a run out with the U23s, unless they’re deemed not good enough. It’s a bit odd for instance, that the U23s have played all season without a centre forward, and often without a forward of any description, and yet Bonnington has rarely had a sniff

Been a bit unlucky. My understanding is that Adedoyin, Hagan and Bonnington have had more than their fair share of injuries this season. 

Guest Therealrealist
1 hour ago, soldierboyblue said:

Out of those bar Hirst who is playing at a decent level?

Hes not 'playing' at any level most weeks

I'd be most interested to know why one year contracts with one year options haven't been the norm latterly. Perhaps someone with contracts expertise can enlighten. It seems a no brainer from the club's point of view. Perhaps it's the agents/players that have been baulking at this i.e. securing the immediate future with a one year contract but keeping mid/longer term options open. 

2 hours ago, soldierboyblue said:

Out of those bar Hirst who is playing at a decent level?

Ah that old chestnut - if they haven't gone on to be world beaters then its good business.

We have players who if developed properly could have developed into our first team saving us millions in wasted salaries on players.

Presumable if Shaw goes on to play in Celtic reserves then that will be more good business by DC under your eyes, but most fans can clearly see that if he was to stay in a season or two we would have a very god player on our hands.

If Hirst was still here and been allowed to play and develop over the last 2 or 3 season instead of being sent home like a naught school for 12 months we probably would have saved money that we wasted on Windass, he could even be the reason we say in the division instead of being relegated which in tv money allow will be worth about £7m a season. You forget Hirst in the season before he left scored 40 goals in 40 games at youth level.

If Clare or Kirby had been given a chance we would have wasted the money on squad fillers like Kachunga and Pelupessy. If Thorniley had stayed we wouldn't have wasted all the money on Dunkley who basically never plays.

IF IF IF - the simple fact of it is we don't value youth under Dc - we instead waste £20-30m a year on salaries for players who either are not good enough, are unfit and never play or players who when they do play saunter around the pitch and don't give a poo about the shirt they are wearing 

Something you would not get with an Owl who has grown up with the club and would be an honour to wear the shirt week in week out.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, room0035 said:

Ah that old chestnut - if they haven't gone on to be world beaters then its good business.

We have players who if developed properly could have developed into our first team saving us millions in wasted salaries on players.

Presumable if Shaw goes on to play in Celtic reserves then that will be more good business by DC under your eyes, but most fans can clearly see that if he was to stay in a season or two we would have a very god player on our hands.

If Hirst was still here and been allowed to play and develop over the last 2 or 3 season instead of being sent home like a naught school for 12 months we probably would have saved money that we wasted on Windass, he could even be the reason we say in the division instead of being relegated which in tv money allow will be worth about £7m a season. You forget Hirst in the season before he left scored 40 goals in 40 games at youth level.

If Clare or Kirby had been given a chance we would have wasted the money on squad fillers like Kachunga and Pelupessy. If Thorniley had stayed we wouldn't have wasted all the money on Dunkley who basically never plays.

IF IF IF - the simple fact of it is we don't value youth under Dc - we instead waste £20-30m a year on salaries for players who either are not good enough, are unfit and never play or players who when they do play saunter around the pitch and don't give a poo about the shirt they are wearing 

Something you would not get with an Owl who has grown up with the club and would be an honour to wear the shirt week in week out.

So in essence you have said IF also. :duntmatter:

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Smackavolley said:

Been a bit unlucky. My understanding is that Adedoyin, Hagan and Bonnington have had more than their fair share of injuries this season. 

Totally agree Smackers

I'm informed this lad has a veritable mountain to climb before he reaches a good level ...

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, Teddy Nickelarse said:

I'd be most interested to know why one year contracts with one year options haven't been the norm latterly. Perhaps someone with contracts expertise can enlighten. It seems a no brainer from the club's point of view. Perhaps it's the agents/players that have been baulking at this i.e. securing the immediate future with a one year contract but keeping mid/longer term options open. 

It use to be done like this in the 90's Graham Hyde, Ryan Jones, Brian Linighan all having them in their contracts, I think it stemmed from Newsome and Whetheral both leaving for Leeds in a similar situation to whats happening with Shaw 

In fact Brian had a one year option took up as back up on the basis they weren't sure if Des Walker was signing an extension or not, Des signed and Brian got released on a free to Bury with a full years money in his pocket 

Guest Smackavolley
36 minutes ago, OWLERTON GHOST said:

Totally agree Smackers

I'm informed this lad has a veritable mountain to climb before he reaches a good level ...

Yep 😁

Would imagine he needs to be at PEAK fitness to see the very best of him. 😉

3 hours ago, Dutch McLovin said:

This is it i see the Hirst thing as much our fault as his. He had just scored all those goals was top scorer in an international tournament for his country his strike Partner (Ben Brearton at Forest) had just made his first team debut and Hirst felt he was at least ready to be involved... what did we do, spaffed money on Fletcher Rhodes and Winnall to add to Forestieri Hooper Joao and Nuhiu and told him it was another year in the under 23's. 

Now im not saying he and his advisers were innocent but come on its bad management from our end.

Were doing it again now and we are actually giving them a route to the first team... there is no forward planning. Shaw is off, fully expect Urgohide to be next and then the rest of them that are out of contract nit have been involved in the first team are at the end of there contracts. We just do not learn and its clear DC hasnt got a clue with his latest interview "last season no one was saying give Shaw a new contract"..... its not the fans who should have been saying this!!! He started a game or two last season, which suggests the coaching staff and manager thought he had something about him. He should have had a new contract then !!!!

It doesn't alter the fact that Hirst wasn't ready. Still isn't by the look of his season this time around. 25 appearances for Rotherham, No goals.

I don't bear him any ill will but he wanted to run before he could walk. Still he will be ok financially I suppose.

2 hours ago, gurujuan said:

That’s the thing, maybe young Hirst was overhyped, maybe he wasn’t  Ironically he’s only playing cameo roles at Rotherham, but he’d be a starter here, such is our need for a target man 

The thing with him, Shaw and Urhoghide, they’d all shown enough promise not to allow their contracts to run down  If there was even a chance that they might be able to a job for us, then they stay as part of the squad, thus enabling us to avoid having to buy in back ups   So, if we were unsure, put them out on loan so we can get a second opinion. The thing is, there was never any doubt with any of them, there was always a role here for them as part of the squad

They have all shown promise and should be offered new deals. Hirst was and Shaw were, I think I read that Urhoghide has been offered one as well. The trouble is what do you offer them?

We offered Hirst the top possible under our pay structure , he wanted more. It looks like he was aware of interest from the Premiership and wanted first team money to stay here. We obviously decided that was too much. There a limit somewhere.

Shaw, I've no idea what he was offered but Celtic can pay more than we can. Shaw may be a big fish in a little pond here but he might get lost at Celtic or he might turn into a top player. Ignoring the money I can see why he had his head turned by Celtic after the cluster f*** here this season.

Urhoghide, we will just have to wait and see. When you are Div 1 or low end Championship you are always going to lose players to bigger teams. We've pinched players from Barnsley, Rotherham etc over the years, maybe they will get their own back now.

I still think we should add a years extension at our option to contracts for young players, it stops them leaving for free if we think they are worth something.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, prowl said:

I still think we should add a years extension at our option to contracts for young players, it stops them leaving for free if we think they are worth something.

Yes my question earlier was why has this seemingly stopped of late?

Are the club offering this but agents/players won't commit to it? 

As I queried earlier; is it maybe that players want to secure their immediate future (one year) - especially in the current climate -  but want to keep the balance of power in their favour longer term?

• Like 2

Guest T Hardy

Thanks to Dave Jones with this.

He said when he first came here that we had absolutely nothing in terms of local recruitment (which you can believe, how many of our youngsters make it in the Premier League compared to United and Barnsley - zero) and he helped put things in place to ensure we had a system.

It’s not going to mean anything if we get nothing for these players though.

3 hours ago, prowl said:

It doesn't alter the fact that Hirst wasn't ready. Still isn't by the look of his season this time around. 25 appearances for Rotherham, No goals.

I don't bear him any ill will but he wanted to run before he could walk. Still he will be ok financially I suppose.

25 games no goals...I suppose that makes him a £23.5m striker at some teams 😉

3 hours ago, Teddy Nickelarse said:

Yes my question earlier was why has this seemingly stopped of late?

Are the club offering this but agents/players won't commit to it? 

As I queried earlier; is it maybe that players want to secure their immediate future (one year) - especially in the current climate -  but want to keep the balance of power in their favour longer term?

If you get young lads coming in who have been dropped by other clubs you have a good chance they will sign anything you put infront of them. I'm not suggesting we take advantage of that but we do need to stop them going without us getting fair money for them.

32 minutes ago, prowl said:

If you get young lads coming in who have been dropped by other clubs you have a good chance they will sign anything you put infront of them. I'm not suggesting we take advantage of that but we do need to stop them going without us getting fair money for them.

Yes agreed.

I just wonder whether though, whether the likes of Uroghide for example, with the support of his agent, felt his best course was to sign a one year extension but declined one that gave the CLUB the option to extend as that tips the balance in favour of the club. Even young academy players nowadays seem to hold a lot of aces. Agents have seen to this.

I can understand why the club might not want to give longer contracts to younger players given how many fail to develop especially given the financial difficulties, albeit self inflicted, but exacerbated by the COVID crisis.

I personally doubt that it's the club that has cast aside the possibility of one year plus option contracts.

Guest timrud

DC played a blinder with Clare and Hirst

They both tried to hold the club to random and were nowhere near the required standard.