Jordan Rhodes to QPR

10 hours ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

TBF he can’t score from the bench.

No manager rates him. (Apart from Farke according to some on here).

Be a relief when his contract expires.

Think if he was even half the player he was at Huddersfield and Blackburn no manager in his right mind would have left him on the bench.
Guess we will never truly know why he is a shadow of his former self last 4-5 years.

His decline started at Middlesbrough,

6 goals in 24 games under Karanka, not surprised with the way he plays football.

He should have thrived under Carlos and the way we played football.

I remember Carlos saying that Rhodes needed time to adapt to our way of playing. I thought you dont sign an £8million striker and get him to adapt.

He should have also had 10 games upfront with Fletcher after the Forest game last year to see if he could form a partnership.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

Think if he was even half the player he was at Huddersfield and Blackburn no manager in his right mind would have left him on the bench.
Guess we will never truly know why he is a shadow of his former self last 4-5 years.

It’s throw-away inaccuracies like this that really frustrate me.

Over his last 3 seasons he’s averaged a goal every 205 minutes. He is not a shadow of his Town, Boro and Blackburn days.

Have you any idea how much better that 205 min figures is than Windass, Marriott, Kachunga and Paterson, our only other options? Off the scale!

If he plays he will score more than our other strikers. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jonnyowl said:

6 goals in 24 games under Karanka, not surprised with the way he plays football.

I remember Carlos saying that Rhodes needed time to adapt to our way of playing. I thought you dont sign an £8million striker and get him to adapt.

He should have also had 10 games upfront with Fletcher after the Forest game last year to see if he could form a partnership.

Boro he scored 6 in 1161 minutes in Championship mins. 

A goal every 193 minutes.

Once again, compare that with Windass, Paterson, Kachunga and Marriott.

I totally get opinion, but let’s get facts right. 

Edited by Holmowl

5 minutes ago, jonnyowl said:

In theory yes, but in reality we didnt cross it much it was high press intricate attacking football (at first). While he should have scored more than he did by the time he came here we had gone more defensive. It was really a bad move for him. His decline had started, so had ours but we didnt know it and weve ended up where we are. We should do anything to get him off the wage bill this month.

2 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Over his last 3 seasons he’s averaged a goal every 205 minutes. He is not a shadow of his Town, Boro and Blackburn days.

Have you any idea how much better that 205 min figures is than Windass, Marriott, Kachunga and Paterson, our only other options? Off the scale!

Disagree. If he was anywhere near what he was at Huddersfield or Blackburn no manager would keep him on the bench.
Plus despite his £30k per week wages other clubs wold be a lot more interested in signing him than they are if they thought he had goals in him.
All those other players you mention offer something to the side if they are not scoring while Rhodes offers very little.
You would think Rhodes would have tried to developed his game in other areas to compensate but rarely seems interested whenever I see him play.

Guest hirstysfags

It's his record that's holding him back bizarrely. People expect his old performances but because they don't come instantly, he's back on the scrapheap. 

It's a Catch 22 situation. Play him for a while and see what happens.

2 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

Disagree. If he was anywhere near what he was at Huddersfield or Blackburn no manager would keep him on the bench.
Plus despite his £30k per week wages other clubs wold be a lot more interested in signing him than they are if they thought he had goals in him.
All those other players you mention offer something to the side if they are not scoring while Rhodes offers very little.
You would think Rhodes would have tried to developed his game in other areas to compensate but rarely seems interested whenever I see him play.

If you are right, why are our results so good when he starts, and so dire when he doesn’t?

Think he should have been given more of a chance at the start of this  season. Scored in the first game which was what you would call a typical Rhodes goal followed by a 0-0 against Watford who have a good defensive record. Surprised Monk didnt play him more when we were playing wingbacks though as it can allow for 3 in the middle and still 2 upfront. 

Never going to get a game under Poolis as hes not a 6'5 CB.

Successive managers here don't pick him so whatever his record is and whatever our record with him playing is I think his time is up. Be interesting to see what happens to him at the next club he joins.

16 minutes ago, hirstysfags said:

Play him for a while and see what happens.

He played in 22 of the first 23 games after he arrived (the equivalent of half a league season), starting 16 of them. In that time he scored THREE goals and got ONE assist. And that was in a team that finished 4th in the league. There is no reason to believe in the years since then that he would be any more productive now. Dating back to the last game of 2017, his form for Wednesday stands at 21+27 appearances (the equivalent of a little more than a full league season) and FIVE goals. The main 'justification' for playing him currently is only due to how reduced our alternatives around him have become.

34 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

But what else does he do in the 205 minutes compared to the others?

34 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

If you are right why have his last half a dozen managers kept him largely on the bench.
He is a spent force.

Don’t deflect.

Your point “All those other players you mention offer something to the side if they are not scoring while Rhodes offers very little.”

If Windass, Kachunga, Paterson and Marriott add so much, and Rhodes adds so little, why do we do so much better when he starts?

1 minute ago, Holmowl said:

Don’t deflect.

Your point “All those other players you mention offer something to the side if they are not scoring while Rhodes offers very little.”

If Windass, Kachunga, Paterson and Marriott add so much, and Rhodes adds so little, why do we do so much better when he starts?

Coincidence if we do. 

24 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

He played in 22 of the first 23 games after he arrived (the equivalent of half a league season), starting 16 of them. In that time he scored THREE goals and got ONE assist. And that was in a team that finished 4th in the league. There is no reason to believe in the years since then that he would be any more productive now. Dating back to the last game of 2017, his form for Wednesday stands at 21+27 appearances (the equivalent of a little more than a full league season) and FIVE goals. The main 'justification' for playing him currently is only due to how reduced our alternatives around him have become.

Ian Rush didnt score a single goal for 10 games when he rejoined Liverpool, Forlan - 26 games without a goal for Man Utd. I wouldn't say either of those two were poor goalscorers.

25 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

Is that how you would pick your team for Coventry?

”Right lads...Elias you start because you did ok in 2017. Rhodesy you sit there because you were awful in 2016”.

You have to pick the best of what you have NOW. And the facts are clear, we do well (recently) when Rhodes starts.

This thread is about you and several others itching to drive our player to Loftus Road, when actually he is one of our least bad striker options. 

2 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

Coincidences often happen when you have a small amount of data.
I go on what I see with my own eyes  and the fact his all his managers for the last 4-5 years have not picked him regularly.
The bloke is not not interested anymore.

What do your eyes tell you about Windass, Kachunga, Paterson and Marriott as strikers?