How important is a team's 'identity'?

46 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Nobody has yet defined for me what a team 'identity' actually is

I'll try to identify what identity means. Identity is what makes us different to other teams.

If we play in red shirts, white shorts and red socks on Tuesday at Forest, we would look like the home team and would lack our individual identity.  This would be our best chance of winning, but unfortunately the referee would not allow it.

Our identity as a team is the club colours.  Players come and go, but the colours remain. Or would do if people like Eric Taylor and Chansiri had not forced us to look like Ipswich clones (clowns?) during periods of our history.

Player wise, few of our players have identity, especially if you're watching on I follow with a mobile phone.  Bannan is the fair haired midget and Atdhe used to be the big friendly trundling giant.  The one who chases everything down on his own up front is called Josh.  The rest are much of a muchness and don't have identity as far as I know.  

Hope that helps.  

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Lincs Owl said:

I'll try to identify what identity means. Identity is what makes us different to other teams.

If we play in red shirts, white shorts and red socks on Tuesday at Forest, we would look like the home team and would lack our individual identity.  This would be our best chance of winning, but unfortunately the referee would not allow it.

Our identity as a team is the club colours.  Players come and go, but the colours remain. Or would do if people like Eric Taylor and Chansiri had not forced us to look like Ipswich clones (clowns?) during periods of our history.

Player wise, few of our players have identity, especially if you're watching on I follow with a mobile phone.  Bannan is the fair haired midget and Atdhe used to be the big friendly trundling giant.  The one who chases everything down on his own up front is called Josh.  The rest are much of a muchness and don't have identity as far as I know.  

Hope that helps.  

So why is pulis saying we lack an identity

It's blue and white stripes

He's reyt weird that 'Tone' isnt' he?

lol

Owlstalk Shop

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

Tony Pulis keeps speaking that the team doesn't have an 'identity'

Yesterday he said:  "The balance of the team is so, so important. And an identity within that balance is important."

What do you think is a team's identity?

Can you give a real life example?

How important do you think it is for a team to have an identity?

Do all other teams have an identity?

Why is this like an exam?

What's the meaning of life?

How important is a team's 'identity'?

I think id get a C- if i was lucky.

Guest hirstysfags
4 minutes ago, Lincs Owl said:

Hope that helps.  

So it's just a visual thing??

Of Course a team / football club can have an identity!!! 

It’s the integrity of a football club, how its run , how’s its styled and the Philosophy of the style of play. Identity does just mean the 11 players on the pitch it means everything - the structure of the football club , the non playing staff. 

Ottmar hitzfeld was very passionate about creating an identity to his football clubs / teams 

Just now, Markowski77 said:

Of Course a team / football club can have an identity!!! 

It’s the integrity of a football club, how its run , how’s its styled and the Philosophy of the style of play. Identity does just mean the 11 players on the pitch it means everything - the structure of the football club , the non playing staff. 

Ottmar hitzfeld was very passionate about creating an identity to his football clubs / teams 

That's the culture or brand or 'mission statement' isn't it?

Owlstalk Shop

Guest hirstysfags
1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

I wonder if - when Pulis was talking about 'identity' - he really meant 'a load of really big tall chunky players'

They are the tools that would achieve our identity.

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

So it's like the "X Factor"

If that's the case why doesn't Pulis just say we have one?

Nobody would be any the wiser

In marketing speak it would be positioning. The cheapest, the best or the best value.

Slow build up quick on the counter, fast passing game, etc..

Pulis sides would be physical, strong defensively and scoring from set pieces.