How important is a team's 'identity'?

Just now, heppers said:

In marketing speak it would be positioning. The cheapest, the best or the best value.

Slow build up quick on the counter, fast passing game, etc..

Pulis sides would be physical, strong defensively and scoring from set pieces.

So style then?

• Like 2

Owlstalk Shop

3 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

We're on page 4 and nobody can agree on what an 'identity' is for a team

THIS SPEAKS VOLUMES

I don’t think it’s fair saying because we haven’t bottomed something out in a meagre 4 pages on Owlstalk it’s a complex issue. The current ‘should we start Rhodes’ page is on page six already and it’s the 100th version of it and we still haven’t reached a consensus! 

this one has another 8 pages or so left in it yet I would hope...

5 hours ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

Scott Parker just used it to describe Fulham n’all.

I bet he did

Chauffeur driven car to the Sky Sports studio to sit there sounding all knowledgable

Chucks in 'team identity' every now and again during the half time 'analysis' and everyone at Sky is like  "oooooh he must know what he's on about that Scott Parker - we'll book him again'

On the way out just before he gets chauffered home in the private car they see Scott walking out and shout "hey Scott- great programme tonight. Liked that bit about 'team identity' too - you nailed it son"

He replied 'errr.. yeah.. thanks'

Gets into the car knowing he's ripped Sky off, ripped US off as viewers and subscribers, but doesn't worry about it but sits at home in a pool of regret and dark guilt

• Haha 2

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, CircleSeven said:

I don’t think it’s fair saying because we haven’t bottomed something out in a meagre 4 pages on Owlstalk it’s a complex issue.  

It isn't

The question was 'what's a team identity'

Nobody has come close to anything reasonable as an answer

lol

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, Markowski77 said:

Ive just explained it to you but you’ve chosen to ignore it? 🤔 🤨 

https://www.vontobel.com/en-int/impact/identity-in-football-turning-lone-wolves-into-a-team-6221/

Don’t worry about it. I explained it too but the explanation was simply batted away with a Sid James face. 
It’s all part of the identity of Owlstalk. 

• Haha 2

Just now, CircleSeven said:

Don’t worry about it. I explained it too but the explanation was simply batted away with a Sid James face. 

You both posted different definitions

Like you'd get if you asked people in scientology to describe what it was

It's cult this innit

You're trying to recruit more people into the cult of 'identity'

Well COUNT ME OUT

I can see it's one of those scams

Owlstalk Shop

Guest Hornsby

Very. Just behind player quality , motivation, mental and physical fitness, team spirit, competition, training facilities, fan buy in , wages, experience, youth, winning mentality and getting paid.

2 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

owlstalk is becoming a bit of a dictatorship - everyone else’s opinion is wrong but Neil is correct , because he can post topics and subjects and pin them, then shout down everyone else’s opinion 

Kim Jong-Neil

2 minutes ago, Markowski77 said:

owlstalk is becoming a bit of a dictatorship - everyone else’s opinion is wrong but Neil is correct , because he can post topics and subjects and pin them, then shout down everyone else’s opinion 

Kim Jong-Neil

Have you posted your opinion?
Is it correct?
What topics have I pinned?
Aren't you trying to shout down my opinion here?

lol

It's totally fine if you've fallen for the 'identity' scam - don't feel silly - many others have too

But don't have a pop at ME for it

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

You both posted different definitions

Like you'd get if you asked people in scientology to describe what it was

It's cult this innit

You're trying to recruit more people into the cult of 'identity'

Well COUNT ME OUT

I can see it's one of those scams

The problem is your already in. 
You started the thread yourself. 
You have become thing you so desperately wanted to avoid being without even noticing!

Anyway, your ‘identity cult’ tin foil hat is in already in the post. 

I shall look forward to next weeks ‘what is the teams ethos’ thread. 

👽

Just now, CircleSeven said:

The problem is your already in. 
You started the thread yourself. 
You have become thing you so desperately wanted to avoid being without even noticing!

Anyway, your ‘identity cult’ tin foil hat is in already in the post. 

I shall look forward to next weeks ‘what is the teams ethos’ thread. 

👽

Is a team's 'ethos' also it's 'identity'?

Owlstalk Shop

Just now, @owlstalk said:

Is a team's 'ethos' also it's 'identity'?

See, I told you that you are now part of it!

Keep up the good work. 

And remember, the tin foil hat stops the government 5g quantum micro particles from giving you Corona. 

keep it on at all times!

we will be in touch soon 👽👽

Guest wilyfox
50 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Other than that first year, when we perhaps needed to, it’s also been a case too much turnover. Since DC has been here, we’ve brought in nearly 70 players That’s a ridiculous amount in 5 years

well, the turnover thing is quantity over quality. We buy cheap 3 times rather than a decent solution in the first place.

as for spending...DC has never got to grips with recruitment. Overspent first 3yrs, underspent the next 3. Needed a happy medium so we could continue to evolve the team a little each year.

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

I'll be honest here

I don't actually believe there's any such thing as a team's 'identity'

I think it's simply something people in football say to sound knowledgable

I think people like fans then repeat it, say it etc so THEY sound knowledgable

And then the media repeat it, talk about it and ask about it so THEY sound knowledgable

And there's nobody around to bang everyone's heads together and shout "WHAT THE FOOOOOOK ARE YOU LOT TALKING ABOUT???"

lol

The reason i don't believe in 'team identity' is because nobody can define it, explain it, demonstrate it to me

So forgive me if I remain cynical in this thread but I think anyone talking about team  'identity' is chatting bobbar

A teams identity is a collective vision that everyone buys into.  Players, Fans, owner, youth system etc etc.

There are plenty of examples of it.  Barcelona being that of possesion, skilled based football.  Real Madrid of signing the best players in the world.  Wimbledon of the 80's being physical and direct.  Liverpool with the high press and attacking football.  Man City trying to be like Real Madrid.  Same with PSG.  Southampton with developing youth and playing good football.  Ajax in the past with total football.  The Italians with their defensive foundations.  St Pauli with their "Punk Rock" vibe.  Leeds in the 70's(?) being physical I think (Before my time).

Most of the time you need money to do it (See Many City, PSG, Real Madrid).  Or you need an impeccable youth system (See Ajax, Barcelona, Southampton).

The other route is to sign players who will bully teams (Wimbledon and Leeds).

In my view an identity is where you wanna get to.  And it's the first thing I'd decide on if I owned a football club.  Start with a goal and build towards it.  Even if it doesn't work at first you have to commit to it, or it will never work.

Just now, Kraschenbern said:

A teams identity is a collective vision that everyone buys into.  Players, Fans, owner, youth system etc etc.

There are plenty of examples of it.  Barcelona being that of possesion, skilled based football.  Real Madrid of signing the best players in the world.  Wimbledon of the 80's being physical and direct.  Liverpool with the high press and attacking football.  Man City trying to be like Real Madrid.  Same with PSG.  Southampton with developing youth and playing good football.  Ajax in the past with total football.  The Italians with their defensive foundations.  St Pauli with their "Punk Rock" vibe.  Leeds in the 70's(?) being physical I think (Before my time). 

So 'style' then

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop