How important is a team's 'identity'?

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Nope

Not buying that for a second mate

lol

No offence

I am impossible to offend I’m too old and have seen to much to take offence just because someone doesn’t agree with me. 
At the end of the day I have been directly involved in this type of stuff over a number of decades. I have see it work and I have seen it fail. I have availed you with my informed opinion and if your deep and considered response is to simply say nope, don’t agree and post a Sid James face then offence is not the reaction I would have. 
I’ve told you it as I see it. 
Just because you don’t believe in it doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist. And just because I do believe it exists and can be a powerful tool doesn’t mean it does. 

But right now we are trash as a team and as a club and have been underperforming for decades and decades and will continue to do so until football ceases to exist. Unless we do something different. Establishing an Identity might not be a bad idea. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Just now, CircleSeven said:

I am impossible to offend I’m too old and have seen to much to take offence just because someone doesn’t agree with me. 
At the end of the day I have been directly involved in this type of stuff over a number of decades. I have see it work and I have seen it fail. I have availed you with my informed opinion and if your deep and considered response is to simply say nope, don’t agree and post a Sid James face then offence is not the reaction I would have. 
I’ve told you it as I see it. 
Just because you don’t believe in it doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist. And just because I do believe it exists and can be a powerful tool doesn’t mean it does. 

But right now we are trash as a team and as a club and have been underperforming for decades and decades and will continue to do so until football ceases to exist. Unless we do something different. Establishing an Identity might not be a bad idea. 

I am a big believer in 'brand' and 'brand identity'

But I don't  believe a team has an 'identity'

The closest I can think of any team having any kind of identity as I've had it described to me is the old Wimbledon team with their ghetto blaster in the dressing room and the brutal style they played

But I'd call that their style 

Owlstalk Shop

21 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I'll be honest here

I don't actually believe there's any such thing as a team's 'identity'

I think it's simply something people in football say to sound knowledgable

I think people like fans then repeat it, say it etc so THEY sound knowledgable

And then the media repeat it, talk about it and ask about it so THEY sound knowledgable

And there's nobody around to bang everyone's heads together and shout "WHAT THE FOOOOOOK ARE YOU LOT TALKING ABOUT???"

lol

The reason i don't believe in 'team identity' is because nobody can define it, explain it, demonstrate it to me

So forgive me if I remain cynical in this thread but I think anyone talking about team  'identity' is chatting bobbar

Very good. 

I did explain what it was but you decided to ignore it presumably because it didn’t fit in with your agenda**

** note- I am using this in the knowledge there is no such thing

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

I am a big believer in 'brand' and 'brand identity'

But I don't  believe a team has an 'identity'

The closest I can think of any team having any kind of identity as I've had it described to me is the old Wimbledon team with their ghetto blaster in the dressing room and the brutal style they played

But I'd call that their style 

Good for you. Call it style instead of identity. There are thousands of articles on creating team identities. That also doesn’t make it true but often the organisations that do buy into this stuff do a lot better than those who don’t. 

3 minutes ago, cowl said:

I remember when those that wanted Monk out started having a go at his use of words.

I joined in, of course, because I wanted Monk out too.

This isn't a Pulis / Monk thing - stop with your agenda

This is a 'anyone who uses the word identity' thing

lol

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, CircleSeven said:

There are thousands of articles on creating team identities. 

Oh I don't deny that

Easiest way to make money is to write books and articles on team identity then sell it to people who are saying 'identity' about teams to sound knowledgable because they don't want to be the odd one out

lol

Owlstalk Shop

Guest hirstysfags

lol

Agenda!! Bingo....

"Identity" for football clubs was created by sky (and continues to be peddled) to sell more subscriptions and we, as fans, lap it up as it makes us seem better, more worthy of peoples attention almost arrogant.  With a very few exceptions its entire nonsense.

Same with made up derbys

We saw it with Carlos and we will see it again as will many clubs (leeds and bielsa, Lampard and chelsea, Rodgers and leicester, Southampton and that's just EPL teams)

Identity FC transcends a playing style, in this country, we could say Liverpool have one (Man Utd sold theirs years ago), but I struggle elsewhere to see one. 

Just now, @owlstalk said:

lol

At this stage I’m assuming anyone with an agenda about identity is going on the list of those with a grudge against the club?

I wonder if some wins would put all this talk to bed? I guess we will never know. 

That’s or identity now. The club everyone looks forward to picking up three points from. 

Just now, @owlstalk said:

lol

I've redrafted the offending quote for you:

"The balance of the team is so, so important. And a style within that balance is important."

Everyone happy now?

Oh I don't deny that

Easiest way to make money is to write books and articles on team identity then sell it to people who are saying 'identity' about teams to sound knowledgable because they don't want to be the odd one out

lol

If it’s that easy to make money doing that why aren’t we all doing it? I guess it’s just not on our agenda. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1