How important is a team's 'identity'?

1 minute ago, NorthernOwl said:

Style is more superficial. Any manager and team has their own style.

But an identify suggests a longer term and deeper commitment to a particular approach. An identity takes years to develop wheras a style can be adopted and changed very quickly.

So what identity has Pulis created at his other clubs?

(identity - not style)

Owlstalk Shop

Just now, @owlstalk said:

(identity - not style)

I dont think he really has.

Maybe at Stoke where I think the Pulis way of doing things became very much part and parcel of how the club functioned. But even then they very much choose to go in a different direction when he left.

Guest Mcguigan
1 hour ago, cowl said:

I remember when those that wanted Monk out started having a go at his use of words.

I joined in, of course, because I wanted Monk out too.

I think most of the group joined in as well.

Guest Therealrealist
2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

(identity - not style)

In the big scheme of things arguing about what an identity is about..is 107th on our problems list..just behind ‘there’s no hot water in the north stand bogs’

Guest Mcguigan
47 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

So 'identity' doesn't really exist - it's just another word to describe the definitive word of 'style'

This is what I've said for the last 5 pages but have been shot down and personally attacked for it

( I even got accused of 'pinning posts' bizarrely)

lol

But I was right all along

If I asked you which team plays very effectively with an interchanging, very mobile front three and who also provides great width with full backs pushing forward, who would suggest that team is, honestly?

2 minutes ago, Mcguigan said:

If I asked you which team plays very effectively with an interchanging, very mobile front three and who also provides great width with full backs pushing forward, who would suggest that team is, honestly?

Not  sure mate - thats not me saying that style isn't a well known one - it's just one that I can't name

Owlstalk Shop

20 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

'Reputation'

Yes in the sense that others see you but identity is something that you yourself subscribe to isn't it?

That's why I say it's something that the clubs (ideally) pulls together around.

Anyway, I suspect Pulis wasn't being too philosophical when he said this so I'll leave it now!

• Love 1

18 minutes ago, DlNGLE said:

Your clubs an absolute shambles, cheating FFP protocol, to pay players not good for the first 3 clubs you mention, way over the odds each month. No way would any player your interested in pick Huddersfield or Barnsley over Wensdeh because you’re paying premier league wages to league one players. 

Well thanks a bunch Dingle. I was only saying the other day how well Barnsley were playing and how we should admire the work the club has done to get into a good place. 
Now you post this and make me wish for bad things for Barnsley again! 
Very uncivilised!

• Haha 2

Just now, keepitsteel89 said:

We don't have time for identity right now.. 

lol

It gets funnier

We can just throw the word 'identity' into any sentence and people will lap it up

"Identity is something we can all gather around"
"We don't have time for identity right now"

any more?

Owlstalk Shop

Guest Mcguigan
10 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Not  sure mate - thats not me saying that style isn't a well known one - it's just one that I can't name

Aye, whatever. 

5 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

lol

It gets funnier

We can just throw the word 'identity' into any sentence and people will lap it up

"Identity is something we can all gather around"
"We don't have time for identity right now"

any more?

If you think is funny you want to get yourself onto YouTube and watch a bit of Bob Mortimer’s ‘Train Guy’. 

It includes the quote:

“He wants us to bat and ball some abstractions that might be actionable at a later date.”

In modern day football having an identity is very important. Players are simple  creatures really and got them to have an identity to follow makes things much easier all round. 

To send a team out with a consistent message and continuity in training sounds a far cry from anything we’ve been used to for a while. I imagine players feeling more happy and comfortable with anything thrown at them when they are all pulling in the same direction.

1 minute ago, CircleSeven said:

If you think is funny you want to get yourself onto YouTube and watch a bit of Bob Mortimer’s ‘Train Guy’. 

It includes the quote:

“He wants us to bat and ball some abstractions that might be actionable at a later date.”

Oh that's a classic

lol

Owlstalk Shop