How important is a team's 'identity'?

1 minute ago, Kraschenbern said:

Yes.   

So 'identity' doesn't really exist - it's just another word to describe the definitive word of 'style'

This is what I've said for the last 5 pages but have been shot down and personally attacked for it

( I even got accused of 'pinning posts' bizarrely)

lol

But I was right all along

Owlstalk Shop

Is Pulis referring to the club or the team? Both lack an identity to me. 

The club has no strategy. It doesn't know if it's developing young players or not, selling players for a profit or not, scouting players from particular leagues, charging appropriate prices to balance income with expenditure , working with its fans to create a good atmosphere. 

The team has no identity. We were going for a 3-5-2 but didn't bring in the right players to make it work (ie. no proper wing backs or centre forwards). Before that Bruce, Luhukay and Carlos all seemed to have a different approach. How you sign players to fit with contrasting styles and make it work I have no idea.

So I'd agree with Pulis. But I don't think he'll be able to sort it out and Chansiri will probably sack him in a year or so and bring in someone who wants to play a totally different style.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

So 'identity' doesn't really exist - it's just another word to describe the definitive word of 'style'

This is what I've said for the last 5 pages but have been shot down and personally attacked for it

( I even got accused of 'pinning posts' bizarrely)

lol

But I was right all along

Well it does exist, of course it does.  It just has many different names.  Style, Identity, Ethos.  All the same thing, but still exist.  A lot of the reason why Liverpool are now a success is because Klopp went their and instilled his identity, style, ethos, ideology, whatever into the club.

I get what you're trying to say, that it's just a modern term that on the face of it doesn't mean much.  But if you really look into it, most successful clubs do have it.  Even if it's just temporary success, chances are, they had an identity for the time period.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

So 'style' then

In a way, yes, but I'd say an identity is something the club can come together around- especially if times are tough.

I'd say Norwich and Brentford have a clear identity, regardless of playing style. They develop players and sell them on, don't spend more than they make and don't charge ridiculous prices. If things go wrong, like Norwich going down, they back themselves to come back because they have an ethos or identity they believe in.

• Like 2

I reckon it's more of an ethos, or ideal.

It's more like an aura or a feeling.

It's more like some kind of mythical imagining which ensures everybody in the club or associated with it have a mind over matter understanding and comparability.

Basically....its a load of rounduns.

Just now, trev said:

I reckon it's more of an ethos, or ideal.

It's more like an aura or a feeling.

It's more like some kind of mythical imagining which ensures everybody in the club or associated with it have a mind over matter understanding and comparability.

Basically....its a load of rounduns.

lol

Yep

TOTAL nonsense

Owlstalk Shop

Just now, @owlstalk said:

Christ almighty

So identity is now like a Christmas Tree?

Ha ha. 

I think it's an interesting question you've asked and I see why you're not convinced by the answers.

How about this: up until this FFP fiasco I would have said our identity was 'Sleeping giant, Potential to be a top half Premier League club, Large Support.'

That identity might have drawn players and managers to the club before but those days are gone now. I don't think players would be attracted to us over 'smaller' clubs like Norwich, Brentford, Burnley, Huddersfield or even Barnsley. 

Whereas they could be identified as: 'Good stepping stone to the Premier League'

Just now, vulture_squadron said:

Ha ha. 

I think it's an interesting question you've asked and I see why you're not convinced by the answers.

How about this: up until this FFP fiasco I would have said our identity was 'Sleeping giant, Potential to be a top half Premier League club, Large Support.'  

'Reputation'

Owlstalk Shop

4 minutes ago, vulture_squadron said:

Ha ha. 

That identity might have drawn players and managers to the club before but those days are gone now. I don't think players would be attracted to us over 'smaller' clubs like Norwich, Brentford, Burnley, Huddersfield or even Barnsley. 

Whereas they could be identified as: 'Good stepping stone to the Premier League'

Your clubs an absolute shambles, cheating FFP protocol, to pay players not good for the first 3 clubs you mention, way over the odds each month. No way would any player your interested in pick Huddersfield or Barnsley over Wensdeh because you’re paying premier league wages to league one players. 

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

I'll be honest here

I don't actually believe there's any such thing as a team's 'identity'

I think it's simply something people in football say to sound knowledgable

I think people like fans then repeat it, say it etc so THEY sound knowledgable

And then the media repeat it, talk about it and ask about it so THEY sound knowledgable

And there's nobody around to bang everyone's heads together and shout "WHAT THE FOOOOOOK ARE YOU LOT TALKING ABOUT???"

lol

The reason i don't believe in 'team identity' is because nobody can define it, explain it, demonstrate it to me

So forgive me if I remain cynical in this thread but I think anyone talking about team  'identity' is chatting bobbar

I think it's simply having a system and way of playing that runs through the club and goes deeper than the manager currently in charge.

Having the first team adopt a style of play that remains constant over an extended period of time - even when managers change. Having youth teams play in the same style so players can easily step into the first team and know what is expected of them.

A manager leaves and a new manager comes in with a similar approach. No need for a complete clear out every time this happens. 

We have taken the exact opposite approach. Each new manager pulling the squad in a completely different direction. The result a completely mismatched, unbalanced squad with the players having no idea what is expected of them.

31 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

So why don't people just say 'style' then if it's style

Style is more superficial. Any manager and team has their own style.

But an identify suggests a longer term and deeper commitment to a particular approach. An identity takes years to develop wheras a style can be adopted and changed very quickly.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DlNGLE said:

Your clubs an absolute shambles, cheating FFP protocol, to pay players not good for the first 3 clubs you mention, way over the odds each month. No way would any player your interested in pick Huddersfield or Barnsley over Wensdeh because you’re paying premier league wages to league one players. 

That's exactly my point.