How important is a team's 'identity'?

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

lol

It gets funnier

We can just throw the word 'identity' into any sentence and people will lap it up

"Identity is something we can all gather around"
"We don't have time for identity right now"

any more?

yes..the part you cut out of my post lol

"We don't have time for identity right now  if we got hold of a few gems in the window and started winning people would be talking about our new identity but stuff like that takes years with the right people in charge..pipe dream for us atm"

• Haha 1

I think in a few lines it’s hard to put into words what a club identity is. Few clubs have one (mainly because managers turnover so often now) but I remember watching a report/mini documentary on Sean Dyche and Burnley, and that club clearly has an identity that permeates in all aspects of what they do. I think it was on Sky Sports not that long ago.

Just now, 4evaowl said:

Have you seen the Sean Dyche documentary I referred to?

Not sure I think so mate

I can remember seeing something a bit back and was so impressed with him

Everything he said he would do - he did

Everything he said he wouldnt do - he didn't do

And his attitude towards the players was unbelievably good and worked a treat

Must have been the documentary yeah!

I'd love to watch that again

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

Not sure I think so mate

I can remember seeing something a bit back and was so impressed with him

Everything he said he would do - he did

Everything he said he wouldnt do - he didn't do

And his attitude towards the players was unbelievably good and worked a treat

Must have been the documentary yeah!

I'd love to watch that again

Yes. He makes it clear that it takes a long, long time to embed, and that an identity, beliefs, philosophy (or whatever best describes it) has to fit with the area and fan base - in his case Burnley, a very working class, industrial town.

Just now, 4evaowl said:

Yes. He makes it clear that it takes a long, long time to embed, and that an identity, beliefs, philosophy (or whatever best describes it) has to fit with the area and fan base - in his case Burnley, a very working class, industrial town.

Well to be honest I'd listen to Sean Dyche

If that's what he told me I'd believe him 100% and take it onboard

Am deffo gonna watch that again - it was fantastic last time

Owlstalk Shop

On 13/12/2020 at 21:07, 4evaowl said:

Same as us, we need a similar identity I think

51 minutes ago, S2HighfieldOwl said:

Same as us, we need a similar identity I think

Fizz that, we’re no longer a northern industrial city We were, back in the day We see ourselves now as a vibrant modern city, and need a football club to match Its embarrassing being managed by Pulis

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

Fizz that, we’re no longer a northern industrial city We were, back in the day We see ourselves now as a vibrant modern city, and need a football club to match Its embarrassing being managed by Pulis

I understand what you're saying, but at the same time our history is what makes us, it's important to acknowledge that

3 minutes ago, S2HighfieldOwl said:

I understand what you're saying, but at the same time our history is what makes us, it's important to acknowledge that

No I’m with you, we must never forget our heritage, but we need a football club that’s fits the 21st century. Watching Norwich right now, their football is streets ahead of what we do, but then they have a very modern coach. The attritional stuff we play has nothing to do with how football should be played

IMO an identity is what you expect in terms of style of play from your team/club.

We have had several identities during my time being a Wednesday Fan. Strong and Effective under Big Jack and Wilko and an Entertaining Style under Big Ron and Francis. Since then we’ve had no real identity under a succession of managers for 25 Years.

If Pulis gets his feet well and truly under the table here I would expect a return to the days of Big Jack and Wilko.

7 minutes ago, Jim said:

IMO an identity is what you expect in terms of style of play from your team/club.

We have had several identities during my time being a Wednesday Fan. Strong and Effective under Big Jack and Wilko and an Entertaining Style under Big Ron and Francis. Since then we’ve had no real identity under a succession of managers for 25 Years.

If Pulis gets his feet well and truly under the table here I would expect a return to the days of Big Jack and Wilko.

How many teams in the top two divisions play that way? It’s grimness personified, and as I said, a friggin embarrassment that we are doing things that way