How important is a team's 'identity'?

3 hours ago, gurujuan said:

I am mightily impressed by the way Southampton are doing things. They have a good coach and play the right way. He works with his staff, at all levels of club, working to instil his ideas throughout all the clubs academy sides Every player who comes into the side knows exactly what his role is 

In this league, Swansea were pioneers, but others have followed Fulham, Brentford etc. Saturday’s opponents Barnsley are starting to lay the foundations, and that hasn’t changed under recent coaches 

We lurch from one way of doing things, with a particular group of players, before changing to another random manager, and another set of players It’s madness

A good example is that Southampton u23s train in the afternoons so the first team manager can train the first team in the morning and watch the youngsters in the afternoon so he knows everything 

3 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Nobody has yet defined for me what a team 'identity' actually is

The name of the club is its identity, ie. Sheffield Wednesday is our name, so we are identified as being Sheffield Wednesday.

Another example, the name of another club is Sheffield United, so they are identified as being Sheffield United.

I hope that helps you.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Billque said:

The name of the club is its identity, ie. Sheffield Wednesday is our name, so we are identified as being Sheffield Wednesday.

Another example, the name of another club is Sheffield United, so they are identified as being Sheffield United.

I hope that helps you.

So it's just the name then?

AND the style or INSTEAD OF the style?

Owlstalk Shop

3 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

The latest one I've heard on commentary is shooting through the ball

I wanted to press pause, run down to Hillsborough, run up the South Stand steps, up onto the gantry, rag Rob O'Neill off his commentator throne (that he rightly deserves cos he does a great job) and shake him shouting "WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU SAYING??? WHY ARE YOU SAYING SHOOTING THROUGH THE BALL???? IT DOESN'T ACTUALLY MEAN ANYTHING"

Then punching a seat reyt hard like Paterson did for that lad in the black jacket that he was trying to impress

Screenshot 2020-12-12 at 21.10.34.jpg

He's only punching the seat cos' it's static...if it was moving he'd be five yards behind it

• Haha 1

Guest Therealrealist
37 minutes ago, sherlyegg said:

What comes around goes around..

The gruntbags...Barcelonaesque last year, breath of fresh air, manager of the year

Seems it was a mistaken identity.

A silver lining on this turd of a year...really enjoyed watchin them today

6 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

8 pages of total absolute proof that team identity is a total myth

7 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

West Ham United a team with an identity to play good football

Leeds United a team whose identity  was classed as being dirty.

Sheffield Wednesday who had an identity of having a fantastic fanbase.

How times change !!

Just now, Billque said:

Sheffield Wednesday who had an identity of having a fantastic fanbase.

How times change !!

Too right

If you did a conga at Blackburn whilst getting battered or sang 'we're gonna score... in a minute... score in a miiiiiiiiiinute' these days you'd get called anti-swfc and accused of taking the p*ss out the club

Owlstalk Shop

4 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Explain it to me a bit more though

How many teams have one?

Is it like Sheff United have 'overlapping centre halves' so they're known as that?

Southampton have a list of potential managers should they part company with one.

The manager is expected to play the way they want and work within the structures there.

The reason why they have a list is continuity so the new manager has the players at his disposal to play the way he wants, which is the way Southampton want.

19 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

8 pages of total absolute proof that team identity is a total myth

Its obvious what an identity is. Burnley under Dyche, technically not proficient but hard working, dogged and offering physicality. Generally play without the ball for long periods. Transfers in and out reflect this.

Swansea, Tikka Tikka, like to play neat and tidy football. Less physical. More focused on football on the deck. Transfers in and out generally reflect this as does academy graduates.

Stoke under pulis. Big lumps with a direct style of play and extremely physical.

An identity is of the squad or of the club dependent, generally, upon how youth players are taught and developed. 

Just now, Spondon Owl said:

Its obvious what an identity is. Burnley under Dyche, technically not proficient but hard working, dogged and offering physicality. Generally play without the ball for long periods. Transfers in and out reflect this.

Swansea, Tikka Tikka, like to play neat and tidy football. Less physical. More focused on football on the deck. Transfers in and out generally reflect this as does academy graduates.

Stoke under pulis. Big lumps with a direct style of play and extremely physical.

So "STYLE" then

Owlstalk Shop

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

So "STYLE" then

Yeah I'd say so... style of play. But beyond that its somewhere around mentality of players. 

Players of a similar mentality. Not winners or losers, more players with tenacity, players who are niggly, sly, dirty, players who are bricks.. you get a mix in the team but you tend to get a spread of players with a similar mentality when building an identity. Fulham last year... tenacious, clever, technically good but not the most aggressive of teams. 

Anyway, thats my ten penneth. 

• Thanks 1

Guest hirstysfags
7 minutes ago, cowl said:

Knowing what identity means is like knowing what happened at the Christmas party.

You either know or you don't and if you don't it can't be explained to you.

Fortunately, I know both.

*boast post*

We all know what happened. We shouldn't dig those bones up again. The restraining orders have only just ceased.

Guest Mcguigan

Identity and style aren't the same thing though are they? 

Your style, amongst other things, identifies you. 

How would you identify a Mod from a rocket, a skinhead from a goth? By their style.