Ifollow commentators.

Just now, Jackie Sewell said:

Why can't Rob and John watch Ifollow on their lap tops while they're commentating ? Then they could keep up with us in identifying players and know what just happened.

Hi mate,

Rob's said because there would be a massive delay from the incident to them seeing it

Not sure if it's changed but that's what he said earlier this season when I asked him

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Owlstalk Shop

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Hi mate,

Rob's said because there would be a massive delay from the incident to them seeing it

Not sure if it's changed but that's what he said earlier this season when I asked him

I'd like them to at least keep on top of the rules.

Neither of them knew that the half-time subs do not count towards the 3 in-game substitution stoppages a team can make. Keeping on top of stuff like this should be part of their research into the job they do. 

Nothing against them, but just to brighten up what frankly is an appalling set up in Ifollow, just change the commentators every now and then! 

Couldnt the club do something as simple as offering someone a chance to commentate on one of the games. People could pay to enter a ‘raffle’ and it could all go to the children’s hospital charity or whatever, and the highest bidder wins. 

Just another way of trying to improve the experience slightly, and doing something good for a great cause. 

Just a little thought.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

I'd like them to at least keep on top of the rules.

Neither of them knew that the half-time subs do not count towards the 3 in-game substitution stoppages a team can make. Keeping on top of stuff like this should be part of their research into the job they do. 

I didn't know this, so is it 2 subs at half time, and then the other 3 make 5 or can you make another 5 after the 2?

Just now, daleblue said:

I didn't know this, so is it 2 subs at half time, and then the other 3 make 5 or can you make another 5 after the 2?

A team can make 5 subs a game but can only stop the game to make subs 3 times. Half-time doesn't count as stopping the game to make a change. You cant make more than 5 changes in total.  

1 minute ago, hirstyboywonder said:

A team can make 5 subs a game but can only stop the game to make subs 3 times. Half-time doesn't count as stopping the game to make a change. You cant make more than 5 changes in total.  

Got it, so they could do a 1, then 1, then 3, or any multiples of, thanks I really didn't know this.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sefton owl said:

Nothing against them, but just to brighten up what frankly is an appalling set up in Ifollow, just change the commentators every now and then! 

Couldnt the club do something as simple as offering someone a chance to commentate on one of the games. People could pay to enter a ‘raffle’ and it could all go to the children’s hospital charity or whatever, and the highest bidder wins. 

Just another way of trying to improve the experience slightly, and doing something good for a great cause. 

Just a little thought.

You have no idea how difficult it is to commentate on a game.  It's a skill, it's not something the average fan could even come close to doing in a competent way.

Good idea to get a fan to do the "colour" work but I'm not sure it would add much.  John Pearson is pretty partizan as it stands, what's a fan (who essentially knows f*ck all about the intricacies of the game) going to add?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just not bothered...

Some of their best work was early on.

The big clock on the screen said 8 minutes. Cue commentator “...that’s 11 minutes gone now”.

30 seconds later, a free-kick to Stoke “..Wednesday have a two-man wall”. Cameraman focussed on the clear 3 man wall.

Quality stuff. 

• Haha 2

Think Patterson went down and they went through the entire team before saying his name.

Even if there is some stream lag, which seems to be about 2-3 minutes, they could review key moments and say 'i've just seen a replay - yes windass should've been sent off' etc...

14 hours ago, Sefton owl said:

Just a little thought.

Just stop with this nonsense

Owlstalk Shop

The commentary is synced to the pictures but ifollow must be 30 seconds to a minute behind actual events.

So its tricky because they are effectively doing a radio commentary in real time 

Well said mkowl.

It is a radio commentary, we don't have the setup that your SKY TV productions, etc have, so any slight mistake is highlighted ten fold.

Pairing the sound with the pictures is great to a point, but we don't have access to immediate replays or the ability to double check a monitor if we are unsure of anything.

For folks at home watching, an incident might look clear as mud as you have a camera zoomed in on the footage. We are trying to work out what is happening from the top of the South Stand and it isn't always clear!!!

We have started using iFollow to check on incidents but like Neil and others have mentioned in this thread, the footage is around 1 minute behind what we are seeing at the time due to the delay.

Edited by TheWednesday
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 28/11/2020 at 18:04, Jackie Sewell said:

Why can't Rob and John watch Ifollow on their lap tops while they're commentating ? Then they could keep up with us in identifying players and know what just happened.

Because iFollow is delayed. They are watching and commentating live.