What tactics are we using to score ?

1 hour ago, sheffielddart said:

I just hope, with Pulis, to see evidence of a plan of some sort. It would at least show some clear thinking on what we are trying to do and give the team an identity. 

I agree. Even if it's along ball to Paterson and hopefully Rhodes on the edge of the opposition, it would be a plan and would give he team conviction going forward. We may need players who can play with intensity but not stupidity  and I really doubt whether Reach can contribute other than on the left, crossing the ball.

And if we can get Flint and Iorfa playing at the back, we might get some much needed height in central defence. 

• Like 1

It seemed obvious yesterday that the Pulis way was to get the whole team 'in shape' in our own half. No chasing balls in their half - don't engage till they cross the halfway line.

Lots of teams play like this:  eg Tottenham, Palace and they're very difficult to break down

The difference is that they also have a plan for attacking. Counter-attacks with pace. But instead of Kane, Bale and Son, or Zaha, Townsend and Schlupp we have Rhodes Paterson and Windass. We just don't have the personel for counter-attacking football.

So, I think the plan will be to launch it into the corners, chase after it and hope to get corners and throw-ins and attack the box from there. Something tells me that in training next week Pulis will be looking at who else can take corners. Reach, Brown and Penney (and even Pelupessy) are all better than Bannan was yesterday.

If everyone was fit, it wouldn't surprise me if we switched to a back 4 of Iorfa Lees Flint and Borner, with Iorfa in the Reda Johnson role.

Pulis kept telling us that wherever he goes, he looks at the players available and works out 

a way to turn them into a winning side. He didn't admit that this was the same at every club he's been to and it looks like it'll be the same here.

And actually, given the players he's got, it's probably our best bet.

But it won't be pretty.

BTW The most success we had with Monk was at the start of last season when we played 4-3-3 with Bannan hitting long forward balls to the wings for Harris and Murphy to chase on the counter-attack. The only problem was that we had only one striker (Fletcher) and Harris was never going to contribute goals, so we got confused trying to find a system where we had more people on the pitch who could score - hence 3 -5- 2 was born.

Pulis said the game plan went out of the window after 15minutes.

I didn't see any game plan for the first 15 minutes, a lot of effort and willingness to run but that only gets you so far. There is very little skill or ability in this squad. Playing Windass up front on his own???? Windass? Plays with a face like a smacked arse. Even had he stayed on we were never going to win the game

9 hours ago, sheffielddart said:

As per title, over the last year I have been at a loss to see any pattern in our style of play that indicates what tactics we are actually using to try to create scoring chances.

So are we a team that relies on:

1). Hitting it up front to a hold up man with people looking to run past him ? - who is the hold up man, Windass  ?

2). Corners/throw ins to a big man to knock down in the box to a poacher  ?  - who supposed to be the big man feeding Rhodes if Patterson is taking the throws ?

3) Putting it over the top for someone to run in to ? - who has any pace in our team other than Harris ? 

4) Playing it out wide to beat a man on the outside and cross ? - who can beat a man and cross ? -Reach and Harris can do one of each
5) Relying on Bannan to produce the Man City style magic defence splitting pass without addressing the  issues with 1,2,3 and 4.

Has anyone seen any pattern in our play ?

fingers.gif

1 hour ago, megsonstheman said:

Pulis said the game plan went out of the window after 15minutes.

I didn't see any game plan for the first 15 minutes, a lot of effort and willingness to run but that only gets you so far. There is very little skill or ability in this squad. Playing Windass up front on his own???? Windass? Plays with a face like a smacked arse. Even had he stayed on we were never going to win the game

I think that’s unfair.

15 minutes into an away game and the opponents hadn’t had a sniff. 

I think there’s every chance we’d have had more of the game and more attacking play as the game went on had we kept 11 on the pitch.

Pulis’ plan might not be to all tastes, but there will certainly be a plan.

19 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

I think that’s unfair.

15 minutes into an away game and the opponents hadn’t had a sniff. 

I think there’s every chance we’d have had more of the game and more attacking play as the game went on had we kept 11 on the pitch.

Pulis’ plan might not be to all tastes, but there will certainly be a plan.

I mainly agree with what you're saying there, not sure about the (more attacking play as the game went on) bit.

Although I do think we'd have probably got at least a 0 - 0 or possibly snatched a goal without the sending off.