What tactics are we using to score ?

As per title, over the last year I have been at a loss to see any pattern in our style of play that indicates what tactics we are actually using to try to create scoring chances.

So are we a team that relies on:

1). Hitting it up front to a hold up man with people looking to run past him ? - who is the hold up man, Windass  ?

2). Corners/throw ins to a big man to knock down in the box to a poacher  ?  - who supposed to be the big man feeding Rhodes if Patterson is taking the throws ?

3) Putting it over the top for someone to run in to ? - who has any pace in our team other than Harris ? 

4) Playing it out wide to beat a man on the outside and cross ? - who can beat a man and cross ? -Reach and Harris can do one of each
5) Relying on Bannan to produce the Man City style magic defence splitting pass without addressing the  issues with 1,2,3 and 4.

Has anyone seen any pattern in our play ?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Too early mate. We saw 16 minutes of full team play.

Very early impressions - solid, organised, make the most of breakaways and set-pieces. Unfortunately our set-piece delivery was off the scale dire yesterday.

Agreed

set plays will be our main goalscoring threat 

1 hour ago, sheffielddart said:

As per title, over the last year I have been at a loss to see any pattern in our style of play that indicates what tactics we are actually using to try to create scoring chances.

1). Hitting it up front to a hold up man with people looking to run past him ? - who is the hold up man, Windass  ?

2). Corners/throw ins to a big man to knock down in the box to a poacher  ?  - who supposed to be the big man feeding Rhodes if Patterson is taking the throws ?

3) Putting it over the top for someone to run in to ? - who has any pace in our team other than Harris ? 

4) Playing it out wide to beat a man on the outside and cross ? - who can beat a man and cross ? -Reach and Harris can do one of each
5) Relying on Bannan to produce the Man City style magic defence splitting pass without addressing the  issues with 1,2,3 and 4.

I have felt the same over the last 12 months, I think Monk,s only tactic was to try to recreate the system that brought him some success at Birmingham using Jucavitch as a target man and Adams feeding off him. Without Fletcher we have not had any success playing this style but Monk wasn't good enough to change things.

Like @holmeowl as said far to soon to judge Pulis, he has inherited a really unbalanced squad. I think he will get us organised and difficult to beat, which would be a start and even with this squad should be enough to keep us up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheOwlsofDodworth said:

Men behind the ball. Pace in Harris Odubajo breaking away.  

The issue I have with this if that's the tactic, is that we'll put men behind the ball and defend securely and well (we saw that in the first 15 minutes yesterday where I thought we defended well and we almost had a very disciplined shape which bodes well) but then we'll  break away with Harris and Odubajo who will sprint up the pitch and lose the ball OR sprint up the pitch and cross it onto the kop roof

I'm certain Pulis will see this straight away and go recruit players who are capable of breaking away, getting accurate crosses into the box and making a real impact.

Owlstalk Shop

2 hours ago, sheffielddart said:

The lack of a plan to score was absent even when Fletcher was here as his knock downs were mainly 40 yards from goal. The absence of 1-5 is a condemnation of the lack of proper coaching at the club. Even under Carlos without FF the play was excessively across the field and not forwards. Harris and Murphy gave us width briefly under the Bruce  plan and briefly things looked better.

Pulis will have to rely on set pieces, which happens to be his speciality.

Just now, victorturner said:

The lack of a plan to score was absent even when Fletcher was here as his knock downs were mainly 40 yards from goal. The absence of 1-5 is a condemnation of the lack of proper coaching at the club. Even under Carlos without FF the play was excessively across the field and not forwards. Harris and Murphy gave us width briefly under the Bruce  plan and briefly things looked better.

Pulis will have to rely on set pieces, which happens to be his speciality.

Sorry..lack of a plan to score was EVIDENT..not absent

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

The issue I have with this if that's the tactic, is that we'll put men behind the ball and defend securely and well (we saw that in the first 15 minutes yesterday where I thought we defended well and we almost had a very disciplined shape which bodes well) but then we'll  break away with Harris and Odubajo who will sprint up the pitch and lose the ball OR sprint up the pitch and cross it onto the kop roof

I'm certain Pulis will see this straight away and go recruit players who are capable of breaking away, getting accurate crosses into the box and making a real impact.

Kop Roof - good name for a band. 

January is going to be interesting. Is it looking like x2 strong powerful fast wingers and a striker who is smart and can keep the ball. 

I wonder if Pulis would have liked working with Nuhiu. Definitely Fletcher. 

4 hours ago, theowlsman said:

Keep it tight until the next transfer window, try to scrape a few 0-0 and odd 1-0 results from scabbed goals at corners, and free kicks. Then hope we can get some proper strikers in. Which is what Monk and Chansiri should’ve done.

Actually agree this is a good plan. 
No chance of it working with the set piece delivery we currently have thought. 
Opposition defenders current stand with their hands over their crotch when defending Bannan’s corners and even then they needn’t bother as their Knees are the only body part under any risk!