Dawson

I'm a reader more than a poster on Owlstalk really, but the garbage that's being written on this topic is ridiculous.

I'm not interested in what Westwood's form was a year ago. That's a pointless conversation. He wasn't dropped for form or else he'd have been allowed to train and issued with a squad number by the previous manager. 

He's been asked to play today because a well respected manager has come in and made a judgment call that he's still the best keeper at the club. Better than the "young lads", who are actually mid-20's and for all their bleeding blue and white, didn't impress Steve Bruce or Tony Pulis enough to challenge for the number one spot. I presume no-one wants to offer me that Jos Luhukay or Garry Monk have comparable standing in the English game to those two? Nor do I recall rumour after rumour of other clubs wanting to take them off our hands. Too many people, too attached to their promise of half a decade ago.

So he plays after a year out in the cold. Even on the "didn't slip" reading of events the guy is going to be rusty. The truth is he'd have to be making two or three errors of that magnitude a game, albeit not all of them punished, to be on a par with what we saw from Wildsmith and Dawson either side of lockdown.

I don't in truth understand the existence of the argument that he didn't slip. He goes to push off his right leg and his heel flicks up. I don't know whether he was going to catch it, but if he was always going to punch it that not happening would have resulted in a stronger punch. The player has also told the manager he slipped, presumably without checking with John Pearson and a sneaky scroll through Owlstalk, for what his excuse should be.

His sharpness will improve the more games he plays, regardless. It's that form he needs judging on ahead of January, not a year ago against West Brom. I'm not seeing too many calls for the reinstatement of either Dawson or Wildsmith on this thread which means most know it's Westwood or the transfer market.

A lot of the critics of Westwood on here tonight also need to get their story straight. It's pretty hard to maintain a position of Dawson being used as pejorative, as a thread title, in mock confusion at who was in goal today, while simultaneously holding him as one of two possible solutions to the disproportionately imagined problem of Westwood's punch today.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, 4MinsOfTimeAddedOn said:

I'm a reader more than a poster on Owlstalk really, but the garbage that's being written on this topic is ridiculous.

I'm not interested in what Westwood's form was a year ago. That's a pointless conversation. He wasn't dropped for form or else he'd have been allowed to train and issued with a squad number by the previous manager. 

He's been asked to play today because a well respected manager has come in and made a judgment call that he's still the best keeper at the club. Better than the "young lads", who are actually mid-20's and for all their bleeding blue and white, didn't impress Steve Bruce or Tony Pulis enough to challenge for the number one spot. I presume no-one wants to offer me that Jos Luhukay or Garry Monk have comparable standing in the English game to those two? Nor do I recall rumour after rumour of other clubs wanting to take them off our hands. Too many people, too attached to their promise of half a decade ago.

So he plays after a year out in the cold. Even on the "didn't slip" reading of events the guy is going to be rusty. The truth is he'd have to be making two or three errors of that magnitude a game, albeit not all of them punished, to be on a par with what we saw from Wildsmith and Dawson either side of lockdown.

I don't in truth understand the existence of the argument that he didn't slip. He goes to push off his right leg and his heel flicks up. I don't know whether he was going to catch it, but if he was always going to punch it that not happening would have resulted in a stronger punch. The player has also told the manager he slipped, presumably without checking with John Pearson and a sneaky scroll through Owlstalk, for what his excuse should be.

His sharpness will improve the more games he plays, regardless. It's that form he needs judging on ahead of January, not a year ago against West Brom. I'm not seeing too many calls for the reinstatement of either Dawson or Wildsmith on this thread which means most know it's Westwood or the transfer market.

A lot of the critics of Westwood on here tonight also need to get their story straight. It's pretty hard to maintain a position of Dawson being used as pejorative, as a thread title, in mock confusion at who was in goal today, while simultaneously holding him as one of two possible solutions to the disproportionately imagined problem of Westwood's punch today.

You would no doubt also say ‘ Hutch’ was  just a bit rusty as he flailed around the pitch in Cyprus before being red carded for GBH.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 4MinsOfTimeAddedOn said:

He's been asked to play today because a well respected manager has come in and made a judgment call that he's still the best keeper at the club. 

And there was the (massive) mistake

He should have been on the bench (although that would no doubt have resulted in a mysterious shoulder injury again) and the in-form Wildsmith played instead

That's not just hindsight either - I said it the second it was touted that Westwood might return, and again when I saw the starting lineup

It was a ridiculous decision to put someone in goal who'd not been in the competitive game for a full year

Reckless

And it brought the exact result that I expected and predicted too

Another glaring Westwood blunder, a goal against us, a match lost, three points gone, and Westwood fans still refusing to see that he's not the player that they adore anymore

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

19 minutes ago, Therealrealist said:

I don’t beli3ve it has anything to do with watching them in training...I believe as soon as he took the job he was goin to bring westy back in

Could well be. Either way it hasn’t turned out too well.

5 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

He should have been on the bench (although that would no doubt have resulted in a mysterious shoulder injury again) and the in-form Wildsmith played instead

I've got some sympathy for this point.

Personally I would have gone for Westwood myself, but I could argue it either way.

Today doesn't prove anything along the lines of your last paragraph though. He's been given a chance to prove he can regain his form.

If he can't Wildsmith and Dawson still won't be the answer.

2 minutes ago, 4MinsOfTimeAddedOn said:

I've got some sympathy for this point.

Personally I would have gone for Westwood myself, but I could argue it either way.

Today doesn't prove anything along the lines of your last paragraph though. He's been given a chance to prove he can regain his form.

If he can't Wildsmith and Dawson still won't be the answer.

Totally agree with you on that mate

In the summer we had 4 goalkeepers but still needed to go out and get a first choice goalkeeper

It was obvious

We didn't do it

Now we pay the price

And of course we have Christmas coming up with everything that brings

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

4 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

No - ALL the fault is with Westwood on this one mate

In football you have to expect the unexpected and react accordingly !! That is part of the problem at Hillsbrough, the majority of the players are not mentally strong enough, hence the number of goals conceded  in the last few minutes and injury time these last few seasons. As they say, they are not savvy enough, apart from glimpses when Bruce was our manager. I am sure Pulis will rectify this problem over the coming months.

• Like 1

Guest Therealrealist
1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

Totally agree with you on that mate

In the summer we had 4 goalkeepers but still needed to go out and get a first choice goalkeeper

It was obvious

We didn't do it

Now we pay the price

And of course we have Christmas coming up with everything that brings

We can’t afford another keeper cus it seems dc keeps gettin goosed by agents...Westwood and Dawson have both got long lucrative contracts..they aren’t goin anywhere

Shocking keeping again, as a rugby league full back, that ball would have been mine all day long. Jump, lift the knees to protect yourself and gather the catch in,it's a simple technique. 

Exactly the same piece of sloppy goalkeeping /bad decision making as Dawson & Wildsmith. 

Hmm maybe they picked up some of their bad habits watching Westwood???? 

It all boils down to bad coaching for me. Its something that seems to happen way too much. If you look at a large percentage of our goals conceded its mainly becouse we just didn't do the basics right.not just goalkeepers, but outfield players too. 

Not picking runners up, getting cought out of position, not paying attention, trying to over play or be too clever in the wrong areas of the pitch, the list goes on. 

Basically until we get these players doing the basics right we'll be in trouble. 

• Like 1

Just now, shezzas left peg said:

Shocking keeping again, as a rugby league full back, that ball would have been mine all day long. Jump, lift the knees to protect yourself and gather the catch in,it's a simple technique. 

Exactly the same piece of sloppy goalkeeping /bad decision making as Dawson & Wildsmith. 

Hmm maybe they picked up some of their bad habits watching Westwood???? 

It all boils down to bad coaching for me. Its something that seems to happen way too much. If you look at a large percentage of our goals conceded its mainly becouse we just didn't do the basics right.not just goalkeepers, but outfield players too. 

Not picking runners up, getting cought out of position, not paying attention, trying to over play or be too clever in the wrong areas of the pitch, the list goes on. 

Basically until we get these players doing the basics right we'll be in trouble. 

Nailed it

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop