Dawson

2 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

Westwood could make 100 mistakes and I still wouldn’t want Dawson back in 

He’s the better keeper overall and one mistake doesn’t change that 

That's not really up for debate.

Given how Dawson has performed, I'm not sure being better overall than him atm counts for a great deal.

I doubt Dawson will play again after that Rotherham display.

On 21/11/2020 at 16:26, StudentOwl said:

Absolutely no one in this thread is hating Westwood... if you can't see the hypocrisy behind your attitude in here vs Dawson threads then lord help you.

Perhaps its the starting a thread thing to jump on a players back literally as soon as it has happened?

As critical as I have been of Dawson and Wildsmith at times, I've never felt the need to do that, guess it gets you a few laughs and a few likes though as we stumble to another defeat.

It was an error, a poor punch. I look forward to you starting threads the very moment every time one of our players makes a costly mistake, I fear you may get repetitive strain injury though. 

On 21/11/2020 at 16:19, HarryPlopper said:

Some people purely post to make themselves look better.

Westwood made a good clearance, the return would not happen ninety five times out of a hundred.

Try harder to hate.

A good clearance, think you need to go to Specsavers pal, even I could have easily caught that and it was hardly a “clearance”.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SiJ said:

I mean, if Westwood makes some more mistakes then what? 

Wildsmith back in, having got demoted for not really doing anything wrong?

Does Westwood sit on the bench or does he go AWOL again?

I've said it a few times, but we really need to be looking at a new number 1 in January imo.

Fixed it for you!!

1 hour ago, SiJ said:

I mean, if Westwood makes some more mistakes then what? 

Wildsmith back in, having got demoted for not really doing anything wrong?

Does Westwood sit on the bench or does he go AWOL again?

I've said it a few times, but we really need to be looking at a new number 1 in the summer imo.

I reckon that's what Pulis will be at in the 10 games between now and January.

He needs to establish what his priorities have to be in the window.

If Westwood can get us through to the end of the season then that's one less area he needs to look at. If Westwood's just not going to be up to it though, then he's got 10 games or so which to do it.

As for Wildsmith, I strongly suspect Pulis will probably already have made his mind up about him; there's no way he'd have just brought Westwood back so quickly if he thought Wildsmith would otherwise be up to it. He may well have still brought Westwood back into the squad, but he wouldn't have started him after a year without playing.

1 hour ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Perhaps its the starting a thread thing to jump on a players back literally as soon as it has happened?

As critical as I have been of Dawson and Wildsmith at times, I've never felt the need to do that, guess it gets you a few laughs and a few likes though as we stumble to another defeat.

It was an error, a poor punch. I look forward to you starting threads the very moment every time one of our players makes a costly mistake, I fear you may get repetitive strain injury though. 

Mate, in almost every single sense, this has nothing to do with Westwood. It's a comedic (depending on your sensitivities and biases) dig at a subsection of the fanbase that have had the knives out the second Dawson has done owt wrong... one that has persisted for ages. That same subsection have also deified Westwood as the best goalkeeper in the league and forgotten the (at least) half-a-dozen costly mistakes he made in the run-up to being dropped in the first place. This thread is a dig at them too.

I've made my thoughts on Westwood incredibly clear over the last year-or-so. I think it was a mistake to have given him a two year contract and thought so at the time. I think he's a bad egg. I think he's nowhere near as good as some think he is, and he hasn't been at that level for three or four years now.

But I feel quite a lot of sympathy for the bloke on this occasion... you don't do four/five days of training and be expected to start a game after 12 months away from the pitch. That's Pulis' mistake. Believe me, I would have much rather his return inspired a clean sheet yesterday. 

Anyway, I think the majority of people on here got the joke.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

Mate, in almost every single sense, this has nothing to do with Westwood. It's a comedic (depending on your sensitivities and biases) dig at a subsection of the fanbase that have had the knives out the second Dawson has done owt wrong... one that has persisted for ages. That same subsection have also deified Westwood as the best goalkeeper in the league and forgotten the (at least) half-a-dozen costly mistakes he made in the run-up to being dropped in the first place. This thread is a dig at them too.

I've made my thoughts on Westwood incredibly clear over the last year-or-so. I think it was a mistake to have given him a two year contract and thought so at the time. I think he's a bad egg. I think he's nowhere near as good as some think he is, and he hasn't been at that level for three or four years now.

But I feel quite a lot of sympathy for the bloke on this occasion... you don't do four/five days of training and be expected to start a game after 12 months away from the pitch. That's Pulis' mistake. Believe me, I would have much rather his return inspired a clean sheet yesterday. 

Anyway, I think the majority of people on here got the joke.

The fact it persisted for ages suggests he made plenty of mistakes, which unfortunately he did.

As for your 'joke', hilarious! I guess its all in the timing.......We have conceded and Westwood has made an error, I know, I'll start a joke thread of it immediately! 

Managers fault.

trying to be clever and by picking Westwood was a nice dig at monk, like him endlessly bleating about finances at Boro was as well

even the press conference comments about Westwood were a dig at monk . Who in their right mind would make a judgement on a starting keeper having seen one training session ?  

I too feel sorry for Westwood. If he is to be our first choice goalie I hope he can find his form of a few years ago . His work coming off the line has been his issue, especially timing, hopefully the goalie coaches can help with that. 

Slightly more in favour of the decision to start Westwood than not. 

As someone pointed out, I find it hard to believe people are suggesting he didn't slip, give it was pointed out in commentary and by Westwood to Pulis after the game. I can't see it in the clips but TV angles etc.

Regardless of the slip and punch everything from then on to the goal is poor.

On 21/11/2020 at 16:26, @owlstalk said:

Calm down with the grammar and spelling stuff and the outpouring of nonsense about people who simply disagree with you

We’ve been disagreeing about things for ages particularly over the last 12 months. That said depending on which side of the fence you’re on, one view is deemed as disagreeing and another is regarded as out and out wrong, just as you were when you suggested Westwood was finished here 😉

5 minutes ago, Jim said:

We’ve been disagreeing about things for ages particularly over the last 12 months. That said depending on which side of the fence you’re on, one view is deemed as disagreeing and another is regarded as out and out wrong, just as you were when you suggested Westwood was finished here 😉

I'd not count your chickens on that score Jim - especially given his absolute blunder at the weekend

Owlstalk Shop

Give Westwood a chance, let's see what he's looking like after 5 games. It was an error but not a horrendous one. Pulis is right to give him a run as we know the other two aren't up to it. 

At least we give Westwood a chance to rediscover his previous form, the other two never had it in the first place, you can see why pulis did what he did.

As others have said should've maybe had 2-3 games for u23s then back in next week but so be it.