Monk's done with Rhodes?

1 hour ago, cookeh said:

Err.. No Joao and Nuhiu found the best form either of them have ever had in an Owls shirt and so they stayed in the starting 11.

So we've got from 7 managers to 6 managers? Which one have you left off, the one who wasn't a manager, or the one who never had Rhodes available to select? You've still included the two that did use him an that he scored goals for.  But hey.. you "know football".

Umm.. 3 goals. While being told to play deeper and lay it off. So even when being completely misused he'd average 10-15 goals a season. I'm sure you were trying to make some stunning point that takes down Rhode's, but err.. well.. ya didnt.

Why am I having to tell you so much about the team you support?
Nando was available thru-out and played regularly.
Fletch was available but mostly sat on the bench.
Hooper was about for a few of them.
Joao wasn't even at the club. But I'm sure that with you knowing about football n all you knew that and what shipping him out really meant was that he was ahead of Rhodes. Yep. Must be.

Honestly, why do i bother trying to remind fools like this of reality.

Oh good god, get over it. You're just a sad wee fella that's still got the hump about a player not wanting to miss and hurt our cause.

You've been demostrably wrong about everything.. well done. Keep on claiming to know about football eh.

I don't claim to know anything. However.. "Hooper was about" - clearly couldn't be bothered to complete your comprehensive research. Came back for the last 6 games, but injured for the play offs. 

How could Joao and Nuhiu find the form of their life if Rhodes was first pick.  He couldn't force his way back in by showing it on the training ground ? Let's face it, he couldn't force his way into anything.

As for sad wee fella's, have a look at the person who started this thread, tantrums because his beloved useless excuse for a striker isn't getting game time , again. But the key difference here, is the one you have identified. You think it's it OK to refuse to take a penalty. To do the job asked of you. 

4 hours ago, cookeh said:

Had a weel look to check I wasn't crazy and yes.. 8 of Rhodes' first 11 appearances were in a front 2 with Winnall.
The dynamic when they played was as i said. Rhodes was the hold-up player and Winnall trying to play off him. 100% misuse of Rhodes.

Rhodes started the first 12 league games he was available for and played in every league match to the end of the season. That's not exactly screaming 4th choice to me, but maybe you know better.

Jos gave Rhodes time when he arrived? That's just flat out not true tho is it.
Here's a list of the minutes per match for Rhodes after Jos arrived.
70, 72, 0, 0, 0, 85, 0, 0, 0, 45, 13, 0, 0, 0, 0, 7, 87, 68, 0, 0
A lot of zeros for "getting game time". An average of 20 minutes per 90, and never starting more than 2 games in a row.
Just what a striker needs to get going.
He was then shipped out to Norwich on loan for a year. So when exactly did Jos give him a fair shout?

Some peoples revisions of history are baffling.

Doesn’t fit the narrative on here though.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

How could Joao and Nuhiu find the form of their life if Rhodes was first pick.

You're just an idiot. Those are two seperate time periods. You know these days that pass before your eyes, they seperate one moment from the next, it stops everything from happening at once.

Rhodes was signed by Carlos and was his number 1 striker when he arrived, but Carlos used him as a target-man, because i guess Carlos hadn't seen Rhodes play in the previous years as he wasn't in the UK. When Jos came in.. he's a different person from Carlos btw.. Rhodes was not 1st choice.. I assume you'll ask why as you don't seem to know the slightest thing about our club.

What was the main thing Jos did when he first came in? Steady the ship. He did that by setting us up very defensive and compact and sacrificing our attacking play as just stopping us losing games was more important. His first 3 results were 0-0s. Everyone who was wathcing us at the time knows this. Everyone except you apparently.

Joao found favour in this system as his pace meant he could chase things no one else in the team could. Joao became the number 1 striker, everything else fitted around him.

After a couple of months, with a stronger defense, but the team managing less than a goal a game, Jos shifted things a bit. He looked for a partner for Joao and opted for Nuhiu, probably because big guy/quick guy is a pretty classic setup. Nuhiu went into the side and did nothing. But Jos stuck with it and kept giving him starts. Another month goes by and suddenly Nuhiu (nearing the end of his contract) wakes up and finds the form of his life.

I really don't know why I'm bothering to explain how time works and how all managers aren't the same person. You literally think Joao was higher in the pecking order than Rhodes under Carlos despite Joao being sat on the bench at Blackburn at the time. I might just screenshot that and use it as my signature on every post. A reminder to everyone else to ignore the wild blithering that comes out of your mouth. Good grief.

3 minutes ago, cookeh said:

You're just an idiot. Those are two seperate time periods. You know these days that pass before your eyes, they seperate one moment from the next, it stops everything from happening at once.

Rhodes was signed by Carlos and was his number 1 striker when he arrived, but Carlos used him as a target-man, because i guess Carlos hadn't seen Rhodes play in the previous years as he wasn't in the UK. When Jos came in.. he's a different person from Carlos btw.. Rhodes was not 1st choice.. I assume you'll ask why as you don't seem to know the slightest thing about our club.

What was the main thing Jos did when he first came in? Steady the ship. He did that by setting us up very defensive and compact and sacrificing our attacking play as just stopping us losing games was more important. His first 3 results were 0-0s. Everyone who was wathcing us at the time knows this. Everyone except you apparently.

Joao found favour in this system as his pace meant he could chase things no one else in the team could. Joao became the number 1 striker, everything else fitted around him.

After a couple of months, with a stronger defense, but the team managing less than a goal a game, Jos shifted things a bit. He looked for a partner for Joao and opted for Nuhiu, probably because big guy/quick guy is a pretty classic setup. Nuhiu went into the side and did nothing. But Jos stuck with it and kept giving him starts. Another month goes by and suddenly Nuhiu (nearing the end of his contract) wakes up and finds the form of his life.

I really don't know why I'm bothering to explain how time works and how all managers aren't the same person. You literally think Joao was higher in the pecking order than Rhodes under Carlos despite Joao being sat on the bench at Blackburn at the time. I might just screenshot that and use it as my signature on every post. A reminder to everyone else to ignore the wild blithering that comes out of your mouth. Good grief.

Calm down son - you'll give thi sen heart attack

• Haha 1

Owlstalk Shop

Just now, @owlstalk said:

Calm down son - you'll give thi sen heart attack

People like this just get on my nerves.

They're the sort who booed Tommy Spurr out the club. Who booed Morgan Fox out the club.
They're not fans and they hide behind "anyone who knows anythign about football" while knowing absolutely nothing themselves.

I've had conversations with folk about Rhodes over the years, and we're not alwys agreed, that's the nature of football.
But chumps like this with "Where was Joao?" Get out. What are you doing on an Owls forum is you dont' follow the club. Honestly.

Guest Jack the Hat
13 minutes ago, cookeh said:

I feel your pain . I’ve stopped trying to explain things. It’s not going to changed preconceived views that we should play our only striker because he wasn’t first choice striker when other strikers who have left were here. And he wasn’t picked by other managers who are no longer here or weren’t even here when Rhodes was or are actually managers of other clubs. It’s not worth it pal.

Not sure why some posters are getting so animated about Rhodes’ play over 4 years ago. 

Here’s his recent return - league games only:-

18/19 - 1010 mins - 6 goals

19/20 - 684 mins - 3 goals

20/21 - 141 mins - 1 goal 

Overall - 1835 - 10 goals

A goal every 183 minutes, with no penalties. Apart from Hooper nobody has done better than that for us in the DC era.

Is it amazing? No.

Is it good? Yes.

Does he add much else? Not overly.

So far so undecided, so let’s add one extra question...

Do we have two other strikers who will score a goal every 185 minutes?

Lets be honest, we probably don’t. Like him or (as some clearly do) loathe him, if you want to stay in this division we probably need AT LEAST one striker netting every 180 minutes. For me that’s most likely Rhodes.

Edited by Holmowl
  • Like 1

Guest Jack the Hat
9 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Not sure why some posters are getting so animated about Rhodes’ play over 4 years ago. 

Here’s his recent return - league games only:-

18/19 - 1010 mins - 6 goals

19/20 - 684 mins - 3 goals

20/21 - 141 mins - 1 goal 

Overall - 1835 - 10 goals

A goal every 183 minutes, with no penalties. Apart from Hooper nobody has done better than that for us in the DC era.

Is it amazing? No.

Is it good? Yes.

Does he add much else? Not overly.

So far so undecided, so let’s add one extra question...

Do we have two other strikers who will score a goal every 185 minutes?

Lets be honest, we probably don’t. Like him or (as some clearly do) loathe him, if you want to stay in this division we probably need AT LEAST one striker netting every 180 minutes. For me that’s most likely Rhodes.

Spot on fella. My answer is no we don’t. And contrary to what I was told yesterday we do need to score goals!

48 minutes ago, cookeh said:

I read the first and last paragraph. 

You said Joao and Nuhiu were in the form of their life. Your words.

You then say Joao was at Blackburn.

Irrespective of time frames, it’s the same result for Rhodes.

To make it simpler for you, and save the NHS some money, I’ll make it easy for you.

You’re right about everything.

None of this is Jordan Rhodes fault. It’s on everyone else.

The managers that failed him.

Karanka

Bruce - who could have taken him to Villa but chose Hogan instead.

Carlos

Jos

Farke

Bullen

Mobk

The strikers that were and are better than him over the past 4 years. 

The team mates who didn’t play to his strengths.

The opposing players who were fitter, stronger and hungrier. 

The owners who gave him a very good contracts.

The fans who made him unwelcome from day one and have been impatient.

Anybody who starts a comment on social media with ‘your an idiot’ is already drowning. 

But remember, you, who started this thread, with ‘Monk just doesn’t want Rhodes. There seems no other conclusion to make’ you are right about everything. 

3 minutes ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

I read the first and last paragraph. 

You said Joao and Nuhiu were in the form of their life. Your words.

You then say Joao was at Blackburn.

Irrespective of time frames, it’s the same result for Rhodes.

To make it simpler for you, and save the NHS some money, I’ll make it easy for you.

You’re right about everything.

None of this is Jordan Rhodes fault. It’s on everyone else.

Karanka

Bruce - who could have taken him to Villa but chose Hogan instead.

Carlos

Jos

Farke

Bullen

Mobk

The strikers that were and are better than him over the past 4 years. 

The team mates who didn’t play to his strengths.

The opposing players who were fitter, stronger and hungrier. 

The owners who gave him a very good contracts.

The fans who made him unwelcome from day one and have been impatient.

Anybody who starts a comment on social media with ‘your an idiot’ is already drowning. 

But remember, you, who started this thread, with ‘Monk just doesn’t want Rhodes. There seems no other conclusion to make’ you are right about everything. 

You're a clear simpleton.

The two things i said were replying to you.

You mentioned Rhodes under Jos.. and yes he wasnt in the side as Joao and Nuhiu were playing blinders.
The other comment you were talking about Rhodes first 12 games. Those were under Carlos. And at that period Joao was out on loan, sat on Blackburns bench and had barely scored for us in two years.
Why is time a difficult thing for you to grasp? It's very simple.

Umm.. Bullen's not a manager. Bruce never had him. Neither failed Rhodes.
Jos didn't pick him for perfectly valid reasons, but sending him out on loan was a mistake which I'm sure Jos would agree with in hindsight.
Farke and Karanka didn't fail Rhodes.. they used him regularly and he scored goals for them.
Carlos failed Rhodes. And Monk is failing Rhodes. That's it.

Sum total of managerial failures.. Monk and the decline of Carlos.

You then just make a random list of nonsense. But then.. you can't seems to grasp that Jos and Carlos aren't the same person. So.. good luck getting thru the day.

42 minutes ago, Jack the Hat said:

Spot on fella. My answer is no we don’t. And contrary to what I was told yesterday we do need to score goals!

Grow up. This is a classic example of distilling everything into an obviously ridiculous soundbite so you can convince yourself that the argument falls at the first hurdle because it's so silly.

The facts are that the last 6 managers Rhodes has played for at 4 different clubs have seen fit between them to give him an average of 17.5 starts per season for 5 whole years now, and he has responded to the challenge by averaging 6.6 goals per term. To a man. they clearly agree that his modest goal threat is not worth the price of the reduced overall effect on the team. But what do they all know?

10 minutes ago, cookeh said:

Farke and Karanka didn't fail Rhodes.. they used him regularly and he scored goals for them.

That's not really true. Rhodes appeared in only 24 games for Middlesbrough in nearly a year and a half there, and 9 of those were from the bench. Although he scored a few goals in the promotion run in, it did not affect their overall form, which if anything dipped by a tiny fraction. In the Premier League, he appeared only 6 times despite them managing a feeble 27 goals all season.

I've already explained the Norwich situation twice in this very thread. He started the first 6 games and they were struggling, one point clear of the relegation zone. After that, Farke switched to one up front and Rhodes only started 3 more league games all season. In a quarter of those games, he didn't feature at all.

Edited by DJMortimer

19 hours ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

Yes, baffling. Having seen him play for 2 games, Jos saw what anybody who knows about football saw.

What 6 football managers saw. It’s all the managers fault, unless you’ve believe the OP in this thread because he blames Monk.

And those first twelve games - how many goals ? Those first twelve games, Hooper , Fletcher , Joao - we’re they available ? 
End of the season in question, six game unbeaten run took us into the play offs - what was his involvement ? When Hooper and Fletcher were available ? 

Now to the Play offs ? His contribution was to come on as sub in the home leg after 75 minutes and be outrun by a defender who was older in years and played 90 minutes at Huddersfield and from the start at Hillsborough. 

And when asked to take a penalty...maybe Carlos made that up.

Thumbs up Jordan, at least you tried. Like you said, baffling.

The two games he played under Jos were both games we won. One of which he got the man of the match and scored the winning goal.

Guest Jack the Hat
25 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

Grow up. This is a classic example of distilling everything into an obviously ridiculous soundbite so you can convince yourself that the argument falls at the first hurdle because it's so silly.

The facts are that the last 6 managers Rhodes has played for at 4 different clubs have seen fit between them to give him an average of 17.5 starts per season for 5 whole years now, and he has responded to the challenge by averaging 6.6 goals per term. To a man. they clearly agree that his modest goal threat is not worth the price of the reduced overall effect on the team. But what do they all know?

That's not really true. Rhodes appeared in only 24 games for Middlesbrough in nearly a year and a half there, and 9 of those were from the bench. Although he scored a few goals in the promotion run in, it did not affect their overall form, which if anything dipped by a tiny fraction. In the Premier League, he appeared only 6 times despite them managing a feeble 27 goals all season.

I've already explained the Norwich situation twice in this very thread. He started the first 6 games and they were struggling, one point clear of the relegation zone. After that, Farke switched to one up front and Rhodes only started 3 more league games all season. In a quarter of those games, he didn't feature at all.

When he scored in Middlesbroughs promotion run in their formed dipped. Impossible to prove or disprove as it is subjective but in itself shows how bizarre your argument is. Don’t forget we are asking if he’s the best option now. No idea where you are at!

1 hour ago, cookeh said:

You're calling somebody an idiot and then basically saying Carlos didn't play Rhodes right because he didn't know the kind of player he was? More or less meaning no coach, scout or anyone whatsoever will have talked about Rhodes' strengths and weaknesses with Carlos? Think about that, I'd be very careful calling others idiots when you come out with that mate :laugh::laugh: 

Better yet, I think you should ring Monk up now and tell him he's not playing Rhodes right either, I'm sure Rhodes will score 60 goals this season if Monk listens to you.

Also, all the managers who worked with him every day in training and deemed him surplus to requirements. They're obviously missing what you can see. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Jack the Hat said:

When he scored in Middlesbroughs promotion run in their formed dipped. Impossible to prove or disprove as it is subjective but in itself shows how bizarre your argument is. Don’t forget we are asking if he’s the best option now. No idea where you are at!

Their form, in terms of points average dipped by a tiny fraction and their league position was unchanged. That is not subjective, but absolute fact. Of course, many reasons contribute to those things that have nothing to do with Rhodes. And this has been posted (along with the Norwich season) because some are disingenuously using it as evidence that he has been a much greater force these last five years than is actually the case under closer examination. 

You don't decide what the thread is about. Sorry. This is just another attempt to banish or whitewash anything that doesn't conform to your narrative. It seems to me that in a thread about the merits or otherwise of Jordan Rhodes, it's perfectly appropriate to discuss his historical contribution, especially when his supporters are misrepresenting parts of it to justify playing him now.

And I still remain unconvinced that he is the best option for us now anyway. Whilst he might score a few more goals than Kachunga in particular, I suspect it would come at the cost of the overall team ethic and shape. Like I said before, we are not good enough to create lots of the chances we're told Rhodes needs, and if we were, he'd probably waste a number of them regardless. 

37 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

Their form, in terms of points average dipped by a tiny fraction and their league position was unchanged. That is not subjective, but absolute fact. Of course, many reasons contribute to those things that have nothing to do with Rhodes. And this has been posted (along with the Norwich season) because some are disingenuously using it as evidence that he has been a much greater force these last five years than is actually the case under closer examination. 

You don't decide what the thread is about. Sorry. This is just another attempt to banish or whitewash anything that doesn't conform to your narrative. It seems to me that in a thread about the merits or otherwise of Jordan Rhodes, it's perfectly appropriate to discuss his historical contribution, especially when his supporters are misrepresenting parts of it to justify playing him now.

And I still remain unconvinced that he is the best option for us now anyway. Whilst he might score a few more goals than Kachunga in particular, I suspect it would come at the cost of the overall team ethic and shape. Like I said before, we are not good enough to create lots of the chances we're told Rhodes needs, and if we were, he'd probably waste a number of them regardless. 

We will team ethic and shape our way into D1 if we don’t score +/- 60 goals.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DJMortimer said:

If we had Pukki we wouldn’t need Rhodes as much.

We dont. We’ve got two from Paterson, Windass and Kachunga.