Handball - VAR

mattitheowl

Guest Bulgaria

I said it ages ago that players, especially the skillful ones are just going to try and aim for the arms of the defenders once in the penalty area.

It's a farce.

I've heard they've changed the rules but it doesn't seem like anyone is sure about what they are now. Talk of attacking teams gaining an advantage etc. The Chelsea penalty yesterday. If it hadn't hit his arm it would have meant the ball went in a different direction, therefore the clearance that led to the cross would have been different. However, his arm was near his body. It wasn't straight down by his side though so unnatural? Interpretation. 

Man u penalty was definitely handball but wouldn't have been given without var. Add in the 'fergie time' and you can see why there was complaining. 

Whatever happens there's complaining, I'm beginning to think football fans, players and managers need someone or something to blame whenever they don't win. Who saw that coming eh? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 0wl18 said:

The ‘unnatural position’ predominantly worked. Why not fetch it back? 

ive heard that if the arm is more than a rugby balls width away from the torso, referees are being told to award penalties?! If it’s an attacker it’s fine though 🤦

Heard a load whinging about VAR again today. It’s not VAR that’s the issue, it’s the bloody rules!

Unnatural position is still there. Yep agree, I don’t like the rule but it’s there 

https://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/lawsandrules/laws/football-11-11/law-12---fouls-and-misconduct

Just now, DobbinTheDonkey said:

Time to start aiming for hands/arms in the box

But only if you're in the EPL because VAR will spend 10 mins looking at it first to see if it has brushed someone's upper arm, but below the sleeve of their T Shirt, unless it's a long sleeve shirt then it's their armpit.  Or something.

• Haha 1

Just not bothered...

Guardian match report

Tottenham 1-1 Newcastle

Spurs are denied victory after yet another handball controversy, an absolutely ludicrous stoppage-time decision which has Spurs players circling around the referee Peter Bankes at the final whistle. A Spurs player is sent off as a result ... meanwhile, up in the stands, Mike Ashley is rubbing his hands together with glee. Newcastle – somehow – have escaped with a point.

That spurs one is ridiculous. Nothing Dier could have done about it, he's jumped up and his arm is in a natural position for that. I would honestly be telling my players to hit it at players arms if a shot isn't on. If you're at the byline, tight angle etc just have a go. 

It's not the refs, it's the rules they're having to enforce. Strangely everyone seems surprised by them. 

2 hours ago, mattitheowl said:

Why is it so hard to get a pretty simple rule correct?  It's like the officials don't understand the game.

You’ve hit the nail on the head. The imbeciles who make these rules are ex referees, players don’t get a look in.

• Like 1