• Windass
    • Rhodes

Guest Kagoshimaowl

We won but that was crap!

Dawson 7 didn’t have much to do but claimed a few crosses. Saved the pen

Odubajo 3 learn the offside rule you prat. He isn’t good enough

Iorfa 6 ok

Lees 6 ok

Borner 4 he is not as comfortable in a back three. Unbelievably may be replaced by van Aken in the near future 

Harris 6 same as usual. Great approach play but awful end product. Is still an outlet though

Luongo 5 didn’t notice him and awful miss

Bannan 5 not great and crap tackling 

Dele-Bashiru 4 there’s a player in there but the game passed him by 

Brown 5 preferred him against Leicester from a deeper position 

Reach 1 enough said

Penney 7 a bright spark and most likely to score

Windass 5 quiet 

Rhodes 4 I honestly didn’t realize he was on the pitch at first

Needs massive improvement for next week 

8 hours ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

Four hours + of main event today has failed to produce any excitement, all games as bad as each other ! 

Well. It was:

1. Last preparation games before the league start and several squads still not complete.
2. First game of the Mickey Mouse cup. Nice to win games in this cup, but doesn't really mean much, compared to league games anyway.

Pretty much as expected.

• Like 1

Dawson 7 - did everything asked of him, flawless display, although not tested.

Iorfa 7 - good defensively, without really being pushed. Want more driving runs from him going forward

Lees 6 - again, dealt with everything defensively. Still shaky on the ball and was rushed a couple of times into mistakes

Borner 6 - as per Iorfa. The back three passed the ball pretty well, we just need to up the pass speed a gear

Odubajo 7 - thought his endeavour was superb. Unlucky with the end product, but never gave up running. More of the same please

Dele 5 - good debut. His first touch will need to improve although he demonstrated his strength on the ball. Passing wasn’t great, it was ok. Wanted him to really connect with the shot he had. He needs a run of games to get up to speed with the pace and fitness requirements of senior football. Good running off the ball. Good start.

Luongo 7 - efficient and effective. Good passer, made himself available and made some good tackles.

Bannan 6 - pretty good, although I wish he would reduce the volume of Hollywood balls. Improved when Windass came on and he moved left of centre.

Harris 6 - again good endeavour. Improved on the right.

Brown 7 - looks a real player. Linked well with Bannan and showed glimpses of true class. Would have been an 8 had he shot when through on goal. Good movement throughout.

Reach 5 - I feel for him, not his position. That said, he lost the ball a couple of times when he could have done better

Penney 8 - wow, what a 30 minutes. His close control was excellent which gave him extra time to make his decisions. Great composure when surrounded by defenders to jink through and get his shot off.

Windass 7 - again superb cameo. We clicked up a gear when he came on. Superb running off the ball into dangerous spaces. Looked sharp and wanted the ball. He could forge a great partnership with Brown behind a quality striker.

Rhodes 6 - did well with the time he had

Edited by Pieman

Dawson - 7 - Didn't put a foot wrong in the game, and made a key (albeit simple) save in the shootout. I just feel, especially when playing without an outlet up front, we need to be braver when it comes to playing out from the back. Too often Dawson just punted it up field, when there was the opportunity to play it to our centre halves.

Iorfa - 7 - Thought defensively, we were strong and dominant against a rather feeble Walsall attack. And Iorfa often set the tone for that.

Lees - 7 - Similar to Iorfa, thought he defended well, and made very few errors.

Borner - 5 - Started really slowly, silly booking following an unforced error and was fortunate in the 2nd half when he lost the ball on halfway. He's becoming a worry for me, in that left centre half spot... doesn't seem mobile enough to cover the ground required.

Odubajo - 6 - In the 1st half, he was probably our most positive player. Lacked quality, but tried to get in the box and make things happen. Worked hard and covered a lot of ground.

Harris - 6 - Frustrating again. Saw a lot of the ball, but little end product. Too often seems to fail to create an angle and just shoot straight at a defender. Did well with the run for the ball across the box, but, overall, he's not doing enough in that role for me.

Bannan - 6 - He's still the heartbeat, and we still seem totally dependant upon him. And when he doesn't put in a 8 or 9 out of 10 performance, we suffer offensively. Tried to make things happen,  but too often missed his target.

Luongo - 5 - Looked sluggish, and off pace. Made little impact going forward, and missed a sitter following Penny's superb ball in.

Dele-Bashiru - 5 - Hmm, disappointing debut. Gave the ball away far too often, and failed to make any impact on the game. 

Reach - 5 - Given him the benefit of the doubt, because he's clearly not a forward. Not sure what Monk is thinking playing him up front. It's not his position, and suits none of his attributes at all. However...not sure where this leaves him. His poor form continues, and it seems like Monk hasn't got a position in mind for him

Brown - 7 - Frustrated and isolated when playing up front with Reach. Looked most threatening when dropping into midfield, but lacked forward options. However, when Windass came on, and he dropped into the No.10 position, he showed some real glimpses of quality. 

Penney - 7  - Man of the Match - Came on, looked after the ball, made things happen and played with a positive, direct mindset. Brilliant delivery for Luongo's chance. Real bright spark. 

Windass - 6 - We seemed to have a lot more fluidity up front when he came on. Linked up well with Brown when he crossed instead of shooting.

Overall...

It was essentially a pre-season friendly. It's only our 2nd game since coming back, and of course, there was going to be rustiness. And our current situation with a serious lack of available strikers, that turgid rustiness was only exacerbated by our lack of an outlet up front.

That said, Walsall caused us no problems whatsoever, and at no point did they look like they were stronger or further ahead in their fitness than ourselves. We controlled the game, but lacked that cutting edge and bit of sharpness in offensive areas. 

I've concerns over Borner at left centre back, and I'm not sure Van Aken's mobility will remedy things in that left centre back position. Our rumoured pursuit of Clarke-Salter makes a lot of sense following that performance yesterday. But balance wise, when Brown drops into that No.10 position, I think you can see the system potentially yielding some good football. But we're crying out for that physical, yet mobile option to play alongside a Windass or Kachunga up front. 

It wasn't great, but so many Championship teams fell foul of lesser opposition yesterday, and we managed to find a way to progress. On to the real tests now..

15 hours ago, legendaryswan said:

Penney,wow sheets about to get real,that was dire,I would have shut the curtains if that was in my backyard,hope monk learned summat,small wonder Rowett swerved the job,its got SACKED written allover it.

Like 1974 allover again

Rowett didn't swerve the job, he was practically begging for it. 

He just didn't get the job, Monk did.

1 minute ago, legendaryswan said:

Rowett said he never spoke to the club,talked the job up,but didnt apply

He touted himself for the job on every media outlet he was booked on at the time.

He applied for it, but never spoke to the club.

For some reason, the club didn't consider him. A mistake in my eyes. And I said it at the time.

Dawson   -   7    Dashed off his line for one cross and got nowhere near it which might have cost him on another day , other than that no problems

Iorfa  -   6   Did OK

Lees    -    6    Ditto

Borner    -    5    Looked  a bit sluggish

Odubajo    -    5     A bit hit and miss but at least tried to get us moving

Bannan    -    6    Still our main outlet but not at his best

Luongo    -    5    Been here a year now and i could still count on one hand the number of impressive displays.  Goes missing for long periods and wasted our best chance

Dele-Bashiru     -    5    Obvious physical attributes, but his distribution was awful for the main part........hopefully just nerves

Harris   -    6    See Odubajo

Brown   -   6    Got better in second half in his proper position and showed some glimpses of what he can bring to the table

Reach    -    4    Out of position but still woefully ineffective.........looks devoid of any confidence whatsoever

Windass    6    Looked decent in his short spell

Penney    7    Quick , mobile, good first touch , crosses well and a good shot on him,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,just looks a player and i and a few others have been saying it for a few years now.  Dont know why we have only given him 1 year as he looks like he could be a real asset.......needs to start on Saturday for me.

OVERALL

A win is a win and we must bear in mind we have only had 1 friendly , but even so we were pi$$ poor for long periods against a very weak team , hopefully with Kachunga, Windass and Dunkley integrated and a few more strikers things will improve because on that showing they need to.