• Deli-Bashiru
    • Bannan
    • Reach
    • Brown
    • Harris
    • Penney
    • Windass
    • Rhodes

Between Moses, Penney and Brown for me but gone with Penney who could have scored a couple and whipped a few good crosses in too. I’d like to see him start when we’re playing teams that we’ll be attacking (like this one), maybe needs bit of protecting in games against better opposition. 

• Like 2

Penney for me, he was actually willing to run at the defence, get in early crosses, take early shots. Looked our most dangerous player on the pitch despite only being on for half an hour.

Brown in a close second though. Showed a glimpse of the creativity he has to offer, just needs someone on the receiving end of it. Nice little linkup with Windass at one point so maybe that's a partnership that could provide some goals...

Edited by S6ToBerlin
  • Like 2

Hard to say anyone deserved more than a 7. I'll spare the wrath of an Emerson Thome 5/10 rating seeing as it is the first game of the season.

Dawson - 7 - only one (routine) save to make, claimed a couple of high balls, no mistakes. My stream cut out for the penalty save!

Odubajo - 7 - seemed to be a little unlucky with the offside calls, but there wasn't the proper camera angle to check, otherwise could have won a penalty with his darting runs

Harris - 6 - not caught out at the back and one decent low cross, but as usual, little end product

Iorfa - 6 - got caught out a couple of times, but his recovery speed meant we got away with it

Lees - 7 - MoM - shut Lavery almost entirely out of the game, solid - a couple of hopeful punts out of play as usual

Borner - 6 - a couple of mix-ups where he was dragged out of position/needless pushed the opposite

Bannan - 6 - quiet, passing was a bit off and didn't really dictate, couple of poorly timed slide tackles

Dele-Bashiru - 7 - impressive the way he pushed other off the ball - we've lacked that power in the centre mid for a while - passing at times less impressive

Luongo - 6 - Worked hard, didn't do much of note, wasted a glorious chance near the end

Brown - 7 - his strength on the ball and composure, looks a class player - but also lacked end product

Reach - 6 - ran gamely but as usual lacked strength and seemed to disappear behind his marker when we got in the box

Subs

Penney - 7 - excellent impact, ran hard at the defence and a lovely cross for Luongo. Would have got an 8 but wasted a good shooting chance. Like to see more of him.

Windass - 6 - looked bright, should be in first XI soon

Rhodes - 6 - think he was mentioned more in commentary than any player on the pitch, but not sure what sort of "central pivot" they were expecting

Overall, can't be too harsh as at least we dominated the ball and looked solid at the back, save for one or two corners. But highlights our weakness in breaking down teams that give us the ball - going to need to show a lot more invention and end product in the final third. Hopefully the new additions can help us find that. Otherwise, it'll be a long season.

Dawson - 7 - Solid.  Hardly anything to do but dealt with their one shot well.  Good pen save. 

Odubajo - 7 - Good runs, nearly in several times.  Decent at the back.  Impressed me. 

Harris - 6 - The more I see him, the more I think he’s a full back and not a winger.  Good defensively but poor product.  Improved towards the end. 

Iorfa - 7 - Solid but didn’t get forward as much as usual. 

Lees - 7 - Solid but he needs to be more decisive with his passing.  Slows play down. 

Borner - 6 - Good mostly with a couple of errors.  

Bannan - 6 - Not his usual self.  Lost the ball several times.  Still has quality.  Needs to improve his corners. 

Dele-Bashiru - 7 - great strength and control.  Poor delivery of passes.  Finally got the ‘Huddlestone’ prospect we’ve been talking about since Wembley. 

Luongo - 7 - Strong, composer but missed that chance.

Brown - 8 - quality.  A great signing.  Will be key this year.  Man of the Match by a mile. 

Reach - 5 - Did nothing of note 

Subs

Penney - 7 - Good sub performance but poor shooting.  Fox replacement.  

Windass - 7 - looked good.  Up for it. 

Rhodes - 6 - Lacks confidence.  Won some flick one but nothing else. 

Monk - 7 - Set up well.  I like his style of play.  Good subs. 

Controlled game, solid at the back and created chances.  Need to take them!

Huffed and puffed a bit.  

Overall happy. 

35 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

I gave it to Penny but Odubajo was the only one in the first half who trying to make something happen.

Penny came on and stole Odubajo's MoM.

All credit to Jos who took him to Hamburg.

image.png.7b448f0f204cb992ccaaba948fbda1fb.png

Looks like he's come back a different player. 

I think we've just found the answer to where the crosses are going to come from, and a few goals too I'd like to bet. 

image.png

Edited by Ozymandias Owl
  • Like 1