Assault on the young fan at dingles

Guest The Claw

47 minutes ago, soldierboyblue said:

Were you Red, Blue or Green?

NO idea what you mean mate,but i do hope we arnt going to embark on a 'Walting' exercise....there boring...I served with 3 units: Royal Engineers(77-81) Op Banner 79(12 Int attached) & 4 Para 86/7...BPC July 86,mixed cadre Para's SAS & Commando's.......Red hot that week,like today..Talking about 34-40 years ago...Also spent a short time with 131 Commando Engineers(V) but didnt rebadge so havnt included that.

Edited by parajack
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, parajack said:

NO idea what you mean mate,but i do hope we arnt going to embark on a 'Walting' exercise....there boring...I served with 3 units: Royal Engineers(77-81) Op Banner 79(12 Int attached) & 4 Para 86/7...BPC July 86,mixed cadre Para's SAS & Commando's.......Red hot that week,like today..Talking about 34-40 years ago...Also spent a short time with 131 Commando Engineers(V) but didnt rebadge so havnt included that.

Dont do 'cryptic' so my reply was a little abrupt,apology's for that.Answer of course is 'none of the above'...DZ flash was 'black' 4 Para(V)

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, parajack said:

No walting exercise was asking if you were 1, 2 or 3 PARA. Hence Red, Blue, Green DZ.

1 hour ago, soldierboyblue said:

No walting exercise was asking if you were 1, 2 or 3 PARA. Hence Red, Blue, Green DZ.

Yeah i realised too late,couldnt edit in time,i dont do cryptic mate,didnt 'twig' in time(see Edit:second reply) I was a little abrubt & apologised,,,'Answer of course was 'none of the above' I was Recce,Patrols platoon 4 Para (V) so DZ flash was Black.(though it could have been numerous other colours if non Infantry Para) Prior to that i was a Regular Royal Engineer.

• Thanks 1

Have you two finished trying to catch each other out yet! 😀

All this code it’s like an episode of 'allo 'allo. 
Listen very carefully, I will say this only once!

i was in charge of a unit once with a combination of marines and paras. This is all causing me flashbacks!

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, daveyboy66 said:

Ian McKay VC was my company corporal as a boy soldier in 1968...top guy spent hours  teaching me how to play squash.

Legend and no doubt a howler as they all were back in the day. We had one of the prints of him storming the Argie position in the Squadron bar. Was on holiday with Ian Collins (Kiverton Park) the week before we both got called back to deploy to Macedonia. He went out the day before and was killed by a stone thrown through the window of his land rover. First job was cleaning up the rover and then a ramp parade to bring him home.

• Love 2

29 minutes ago, parajack said:

Yeah i realised too late,couldnt edit in time,i dont do cryptic mate,didnt 'twig' in time(see Edit:second reply) I was a little abrubt & apologised,,,'Answer of course was 'none of the above' I was Recce,Patrols platoon 4 Para (V) so DZ flash was Black.(though it could have been numerous other colours if non Infantry Para) Prior to that i was a Regular Royal Engineer.

No such thing as a regular engineer, unless of course you were signals or MT. They used to hang around with the strange ones from Support troop. 😂

• Haha 1

I joined the TA (feel free to call me a STAB!) at the age of 29 and did 9 years in the Jersey Field Squadron (Royal Militia of the Island of Jersey) who were attached to 111 Engineer Regiment at the time, but coming from Sheffield knew John well from school (Sharrow Lane), scouts and of course Wednesday.

He lived for the army from the very start and all he ever wanted to be was a soldier. My understanding is he was killed in a diversionary attack when his section ran into an Argy machine gun post. R.I.P.

15 minutes ago, airborne_rat_of_s6 said:

No such thing as a regular engineer, unless of course you were signals or MT. They used to hang around with the strange ones from Support troop. 😂

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Utah Owl said:

I joined the TA (feel free to call me a STAB!) at the age of 29 and did 9 years in the Jersey Field Squadron (Royal Militia of the Island of Jersey) who were attached to 111 Engineer Regiment at the time, but coming from Sheffield knew John well from school (Sharrow Lane), scouts and of course Wednesday.

He lived for the army from the very start and all he ever wanted to be was a soldier. My understanding is he was killed in a diversionary attack when his section ran into an Argy machine gun post. R.I.P.

I was  a Signaller.....Combat Sig 2,Driver RE,Combat Engineer 3....ha ha   and i was a REMF.....RHQ troop.....1 Armd Div Engr Regt Nienberg.....BAOR  Great Posting...I also joined  the (than 'TA' now 'Army Reserve') at age 29, 6 Years after leaving the regs.Passed 'P'  Company as oldest on the Cadre.@Old para's never die'.....they come on OWLSTALK and bore the **** out of everyone...AIRBORNE

Edited by parajack
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Utah Owl said:

So you were SAS..Saturday and Sunday  soldier 😎

• Haha 3

30 minutes ago, parajack said:

I was  a Signaller.....Combat Sig 2,Driver RE,Combat Engineer 3....ha ha   and i was a REMF.....RHQ troop.....1 Armd Div Engr Regt Nienberg.....BAOR  Great Posting...I also joined  the (than 'TA' now 'Army Reserve') at age 29, 6 Years after leaving the regs.Passed 'P'  Company as oldest on the Cadre.@Old para's never die'.....they come on OWLSTALK and bore the **** out of everyone...AIRBORNE

I think this conversation is for grown ups only 😎

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, daveyboy66 said:

So you were SAS..Saturday and Sunday  soldier 😎

There is a lad who drinks with a few of the lads I know. Unitedite and now ex TA RLC ambulance driver. Did 20 years with them and only deployed once, on TELIC. Some of the stories he was telling his civi mates were that over the top that even they were calling BS on him. 1000 yard head shots from his moving ambulance with a 9mm and volunteering to be the gunner and loadie on the CH-47 when someone was on R&R. Now has been given the name Hereford John by the lads he drinks with, and that has stuck even after he left 😂

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, daveyboy66 said:

Over the last 25 years I've steered quite a few of the kids I've worked with into the TA and they've nearly all done well with a few ending up joining as regs.

If I'd known at 18 or 19 what I discovered at 29 I'd have joined the regs too.

• Like 1