Points dropped from winning positions?

48 minutes ago, Sanchez_Jenks said:

28 I believe. Add them and we'd be 2nd but too much to assume you'd never throw any away but makes for a nice stat and statement 

Christ on a bike! We'd be looking at least play offs then allowing for a few dropped points.

Get this useless two hat out of our club before we can sink any deeper!

Monk out!!!! 

• Like 1

Twenty eight points dropped from winning positions, which alongside the fact that we've played over seventy league matches and only come from behind once to win (Brentford) is rather indicative of the lack of mental toughness within the club.

Edited by Beauchief Owl
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, bobness said:

Does anyone know how many goals we conceded? If my maths is correct, deduct the goals conceded and we would be league champions. Just goes to show how poor this division is

There's always one. Obviously you won't win every game you are ahead in but surely even you can't think the amount of times we have sacrificed leads/points this season is acceptable. 

I've been banging on about our mental frailties for a long time. 

We assembled a squad of players with no strength of character, no mental fortitude. Players who are unable to put their bodies on the line. Players who lack a sacrificial mindset and a never say die attitude. And then we expected them to be successful in one of the most physical and competitive leagues in the world........

There are many criticisms that can be leveled at the people responsible for recruitment at S6. Signing older players, injury prone players, high wages, players we were simply never going to play. However, the continued signing of players that simply do not have the right mental attributes to succeed is arguably the most damning legacy of our recruitment teams lack of ability. They simply do not understand what is required to succeed in the Championship or English football in general.

Edited by Morepork
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Morepork said:

We assembled a squad of players with no strength of character, no mental fortitude. Players who are unable to put their bodies on the line. Players who lack a sacrificial mindset and a never say die attitude. And then we expected them to be successful in one of the most physical and competitive leagues in the world........

There are many criticisms that can be leveled at the people responsible for recruitment at S6. Signing older players, injury prone players, high wages, players we were simply never going to play. However, the continued signing of players that simply do not have the right mental attributes to succeed is arguably the most damning legacy of our recruitment teams lack of ability. They simply do not understand what is required to succeed in the Championship or English football in general.

And yet they never seemed to have that problem, at other clubs, or playing under Carlos or Bruce.

25 minutes ago, Plonk said:

And yet they never seemed to have that problem, at other clubs, or playing under Carlos or Bruce.

I don't accept that. 

You managed to analyse their performance at previous clubs pretty quickly then to be able to speak with such certainty. One or two weak individuals in a team is less impactful than an entire squad full, as we assembled. I ask you, who in our team exhibits all the characteristics I mentioned above, it'd be obvious to the eye? I mean consistently as well because that's what strong characters do, they can't do anything else.

The Playoff final performance against Hull and the Semi-final performances against Huddersfield were classic failures of character so I'd disagree about CC, also there were plenty of others in his time. 

Under Bruce we didn't see enough to know with any certainty how that would have panned out. 18 games and a win percentage of 38.89 is not a big sample, Alan Irvine had a better win percentage from 59 games. To suggest these players would somehow defy the characteristics of all their previous seasons with us and suddenly find the collective or individual mental fortitude to succeed in this league is to defy logic. You don't see the kinds of collapses we have seen from players with character, they may have bad results but you'd see the fight in them. Something we have almost never seen from these players, collectively or even individually. 

Edited by Morepork
  • Thanks 1

Guest mkowl
55 minutes ago, Morepork said:

Good post 

In a team you are going to bounce off those around you. So if you are in a team with mentally strong leaders then you may be pulled up towards their level  but it is also masked by those around you. 

You can see it in these players and those stats on points lost but as importantly points recovered don't lie.