Barry Bannan

1 minute ago, Minton said:

Don't believe the experts eh? lol

It's not that mate,

It's just that if Bannan is the second best defensive midfielder in the league but we aren't looking  dangerous  going forward then I'd rather him get pushed up the pitch where he can cause damage, and put Luongo in his place to try and compete to become the best defensive midfielder

Owlstalk Shop

1 hour ago, sheriwozgod said:

Pelupessy is way below whats needed in this division and is continually exposed......that's one of the reasons Bannan ends up dropping so deep to compensate.

The other reason is Monks rigid team shape.

I know mate, I was been sarcastic. Joey is garbage - god knows why we gave him an extension. 

For what it’s worth, I think Bannan is a top player but we haven’t got the best out of him apart from the first season under Carlos.

Bannan should play in a conventional midfield 3 with a top defensive player holding and protecting the back 4 and let him dictate the game from the left centre of midfield. He would also thrive if we had some good movement ahead of him.

We have not utilised his abilities for me. 

Edited by Bouncing Owl
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Plonk said:

Is it only me that can see the promble. First half of season he plays alongside Hutch, played well, we go third. Second half of season he plays alongside cat, has to do the work of two men and suddenly he’s ineffective going forward and he’s poo. It’s Sheridan all over again. Play himwith palmer he’s a genius play him with klass Ingerson and he’s poo. Why can’t people see what the promble is.

Because that’s not what the problem is.

Hutch flatters to deceive, because he’s blood and guts.

First 23 games, upto and incl Bristol C 1-0 win:-

With Hutch 1.55 points per game

Without Hutch 2.2 points per game.

He does not fit with Bannan. Never has. Too deep.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Didn't he say he was playing deeper because he was playing with an injury?

Has he been playing with an injury for 4 years? He has always dropped deep to pick up the ball. 

8 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Bit simplistic that and using stats to support your argument. What is our points per game since Hutchinson was kicked to the kerb? Bet it is less than 1.55.

56 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

It's not that mate,

It's just that if Bannan is the second best defensive midfielder in the league but we aren't looking  dangerous  going forward then I'd rather him get pushed up the pitch where he can cause damage, and put Luongo in his place to try and compete to become the best defensive midfielder

But Luongo is more likely to be a goal threat from open play. As @Bouncing Owl says, to get the best out of Bannan he needs to play in a 3 where he can be far more effective and have a proper holding midfielder deeper than him - the player we have needed for 4 years. 

11 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

If you played Hutch deep, Bannan playing ahead on the left centre and Luongo on the right centre, that would work. Problem is hutch and Bannan doesn’t work in a 2 as like you say, hutch plays too deep.

Weve had various managers who appear not to have the necessary intellect to get the best out of the players we have available which is disappointing. 

1 hour ago, Minton said:

Don't believe the experts eh? lol

The 'experts' that produced those stats are not the leaders in the industry, the bizarre stats that were posted on here recently appear to show why! 

I'm not falling for any rejuvenated optimism.

We still have our short comings, which will take years to fix.

The most simplistic way to put it.

Under the age of 26. We have 2 players who contribute regularly. Iorfa and Dawson. 

Zero potential coming through.

Not building for tomorrow.

22 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Bit simplistic that and using stats to support your argument. What is our points per game since Hutchinson was kicked to the kerb? Bet it is less than 1.55.

The missing link is crystal clear, whether you want to trust stats or your eyes - it’s Fletcher.

Heres the rest of the season. Still doesn’t support your point about Hutch being key.

With Hutch P4 L4

Without Hutch P10. W2. D3. L5

Just now, bigash_swfc said:

Under the age of 26. We have 2 players who contribute regularly. Iorfa and Dawson. 

That's just your (negative) opinion though

I wonder if you were saying the same thing pre-xmas when we were on our amazing run with the same players?

Owlstalk Shop

4 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

The missing link is crystal clear, whether you want to trust stats or your eyes - it’s Fletcher.

Heres the rest of the season. Still doesn’t support your point about Hutch being key.

With Hutch P4 L4

Without Hutch P10. W2. D3. L5

I never said Hutchinson is key, just that your stats were too simplistic and only showed one picture. We have only won two league games since the Bristol City game that your original stats ran to. He played in the win at Leeds - only 10 minutes but the score was 0-0 when he came on so to discount him is again slightly misleading stats. He also played in the cup win at QPR, one of our 4 wins in 15 games in 2020, but I guess cup games don't count.

as a defensive midfielder you could also look at goals conceded stats with and without him in the side, wonder how that shapes up.

Of course Fletcher is the main reason we have struggled - but I put that on Monk having only 1 effective way of playing and needing Fletcher for this. 

Fletcher does effect the whole game in the way his hold up play moves us up the pitch but his absence should not impact as badly on the goals conceded stats as has been the case.

Also since his return we thankfully did manage a win due to his goal but have continued to concede goals for fun against Derby and Brentford. 

7 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

That's just your (negative) opinion though

I wonder if you were saying the same thing pre-xmas when we were on our amazing run with the same players?

It's an honest opinion, 2 players under 26 who regularly contribute. Can't escape that.

It's not exciting. 

Quick fixes have bottomed out.

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

You're going to say Hutch should come back to Sheffield and play aren't you?

lol

No. I’m saying he should never have been frozen out in the first place. And if you do at least ensure you’ve got someone capable of doing his job

55 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Just give me the stats for this season since we dropped him because I can’t understand why haven’t won the league already

5 hours ago, sheriwozgod said:

Pelupessy is way below whats needed in this division and is continually exposed......that's one of the reasons Bannan ends up dropping so deep to compensate.

The other reason is Monks rigid team shape.

He drops deep no matter who his side kick is.

I really don't think he knows he is doing it, just wanting the ball all the time.

He dose seem to play further forward though when he has Pellupessy and Luongo in the team.

Another thing about Banan, why does he hang on to the ball too long?, how many time's have we seen a player go down the flank, only for Banan to pirouette and pass the ball inside?.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bigash_swfc said:

That's been the story of the last 50 years, sadly.

8 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Screenshot 2020-06-13 at 09.33.09.jpg

I can honestly see Barry Bannan being the player that plays the best in the upcoming games.

The time off will have made him hungry to play again like every other player but I think he'll relish playing behind closed doors, away from the fans who get on his back.

I reckon he'll thrive and spring back into life.

I can also see Monk playing him further up the pitch too

Looking forward to seeing Barry Bannan in full flight and can see him being the one making things tick

You don't give a very good impression of Bannan do you? Lacked hunger before the lockdown. Can't perform in front of Wednesday fans. It seems he is another that isn't mentally strong enough to play at Hillsborough. Maybe he just isn't good enough and our aim should be to sign players that have the hunger all season and can play in front of supporters who pay for expensive tickets that go towards his extortionate wages.

• Like 2

Just now, Ronnie Starling said:

It seems he is another that isn't mentally strong enough to play at Hillsborough. 

If you could just explain all the great games he's had, great goals he's scored, fantastic through balls he's played that would be great

You know... so we know you're not just having a pop at one of our best players out of ignorance

Owlstalk Shop

3 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

If you could just explain all the great games he's had, great goals he's scored, fantastic through balls he's played that would be great

You know... so we know you're not just having a pop at one of our best players out of ignorance

A broken watch tells the correct time twice a day. Bannans goal return and assists are poor for a player who we seemingly have to play through. He is very limited as he can't challenge in the air, weak in the tackle, often caught out of position, offers little when we are out of possession and his set pieces are poo . We are so predictable with him in the side. Pass to Barry, watch him piroette on the ball, take 6 touches when one would suffice, passes back to centre half. Repeat.

• Like 1
  • Love 1