Classy from Jordan Rhodes

43 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

Kenwyne Jones scored 7 in his only 7 appearances for us back in 2004/5. As there are no such things as outliers, variables or happenstance as far as you're concerned (at least on this subject) then clearly he would have kept that up indefinitely for the whole season had he been available to us for every game? 

...and here lies the absolute truth. As the famous phrase goes “there are lies, damn lies and then there are statistics” - DJMortimer has the facts correct. We can take a subset of results from a wider set and make it say what we want it to. If we are to use Holm Owl’s reasoning then we can’t ignore that goal scoring (and assist) run that Nuhiu went on when Jos was in his first few months of management. That subset of data clearly shows that Nuhiu is one of the best goal scorers we’ve ever had and that we shouldn’t have sold Joao - we have the stats to prove it if we use the Holm Owls method that is. In fact, the Nuhiu stat is better than the Fletcher/Rhodes team goals stat because Nuhiu scores more goals and provided more assists than Rhodes did. 

The fact is that the aforementioned statement holds as much water as Holm Owl’s ridiculous assertions about Fletcher/Rhodes “team goals”. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, shandypants said:

...and here lies the absolute truth. As the famous phrase goes “there are lies, damn lies and then there are statistics” - DJMortimer has the facts correct. We can take a subset of results from a wider set and make it say what we want it to. If we are to use Holm Owl’s reasoning then we can’t ignore that goal scoring (and assist) run that Nuhiu went on when Jos was in his first few months of management. That subset of data clearly shows that Nuhiu is one of the best goal scorers we’ve ever had and that we shouldn’t have sold Joao - we have the stats to prove it if we use the Holm Owls method that is. In fact, the Nuhiu stat is better than the Fletcher/Rhodes team goals stat because Nuhiu scores more goals and provided more assists than Rhodes did. 

The fact is that the aforementioned statement holds as much water as Holm Owl’s ridiculous assertions about Fletcher/Rhodes “team goals”. 

Funnily enough, I looked that up. The Joao/Nuhiu combination at one point in 2018 got 11 goals between them in 8 appearances. That would translate to the pair of them registering 63 on their own in a full Championship season. I stopped looking there, but I'm reasonably confident that the rest of their time together was rather less prolific.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

Funnily enough, I looked that up. The Joao/Nuhiu combination at one point in 2018 got 11 goals between them in 8 appearances. That would translate to the pair of them registering 63 on their own in a full Championship season. I stopped looking there, but I'm reasonably confident that the rest of their time together was rather less prolific.

Stop talking sense. You need to think like Holm Owl does. Start snatching at spurious data and ignore the rest. What’s wrong with you man!!!

8 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

I don't think anyone, @Holmowl included is expecting the Rhodes/Fletcher partnership to continue ripping it up if given another chance but the fact remains Monk has a tendency to play 4-4-2 and not pick Forestieri in a role up top. 

With this in mind it is difficult to make a case for anyone to partner Fletcher on recent form so would be so much of a disappointment to see this pair given another go as opposed to say Winnall or Nuhiu? 

17 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

I don't think anyone, @Holmowl included is expecting the Rhodes/Fletcher partnership to continue ripping it up if given another chance but the fact remains Monk has a tendency to play 4-4-2 and not pick Forestieri in a role up top. 

With this in mind it is difficult to make a case for anyone to partner Fletcher on recent form so would be so much of a disappointment to see this pair given another go as opposed to say Winnall or Nuhiu? 

Fletcher and Wickham are surely first choice?

7 minutes ago, NeonLeon said:

Wow! I’d forgotten about Wickham. Let’s hope he’s been on the same diet as Nuhiu. Wickham was fat enough to twerk before the lockdown. 

7D73B4DE-E45E-4EB1-8BD7-15C633FE8B4F.gif.750b2868a9ced5e4f8b5975e14fd1cc7.gif

Edited by shandypants

5 minutes ago, NeonLeon said:

Unless Wickham has found fitness and a new found interest in playing for us over the lock down he would be behind Nuhiu based on form over the most recent games, absolutely awful. 

2 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Unless Wickham has found fitness and a new found interest in playing for us over the lock down he would be behind Nuhiu based on form over the most recent games, absolutely awful. 

He wasn’t great was he? But I don’t think he had no interest in playing for us, he was just really unfit after a few seasons of injury. 

16 minutes ago, shandypants said:

He wasn’t great was he? But I don’t think he had no interest in playing for us, he was just really unfit after a few seasons of injury. 

Maybe I was a bit harsh in that respect but his body language didn't exactly suggest his was enthused to be playing for us.

He had made 5 appearances for Palace in the month leading up to joining us, most were as a sub but maybe he thought and hoped that he had a part to play in the Premier League this season having scored an important goal for them in January.    

5 hours ago, DJMortimer said:

How patronising is that?

The difference is, Jones did not have 50 woeful appearances for us before that no matter the tactics, manager, league position, formation, partner, weather, opponent... Rhodes went into that Forest game with 1 goal in his previous 10+9 appearances.

I've given you endless examples of similar statistical anomalies in the past when you've picked this bone up, essentially just off the top of my head. These things happen... a lot.

Here's another one - in our 1990/1 promotion campaign, David Hirst had spells of 2 goals in 11 consecutive games and then 0 in 10. The rest of the season his record was 30 goals in 35. And it was nothing to do with partnerships either as Paul Williams started 50 games up top that campaign; almost ever present. Picking one set of data or the other would 'prove' he was either our most prolific striker for half a century or worse than David Graham. 

Apologies for the opening remark. Yes, it was patronizing and wrong.

You refer to Rhodes. I don’t. I refer to Fletcher-Rhodes as a partnership. It works brilliantly. It’s is on a three match run of 7 in 3. Plain Barmy not to pick that partnership up again now they are both fit and available.

3 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Apologies for the opening remark. Yes, it was patronizing and wrong.

You refer to Rhodes. I don’t. I refer to Fletcher-Rhodes as a partnership. It works brilliantly. It’s is on a three match run of 7 in 3. Plain Barmy not to pick that partnership up again now they are both fit and available.

The sad thing is, apart from Fletcher, we're scrabbling around in the bin hoping to find a wad of tenners. None of them have done anything to distance themselves from the others. Based on recent games, Nuhiu has probably been least worst, but that's not saying much. After the recent interruption, maybe some unpredictability will arise almost like it's a new season. So there's a chance there for someone (please) to forget how we've been since Christmas and reinvent themselves, but I'm not optimistic.

8 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Maybe I was a bit harsh in that respect but his body language didn't exactly suggest his was enthused to be playing for us.

He had made 5 appearances for Palace in the month leading up to joining us, most were as a sub but maybe he thought and hoped that he had a part to play in the Premier League this season having scored an important goal for them in January.    

I don’t think he’d have come if that was the case.

No matter how good a player you are unfortunately you’ll always struggle when you’re thrown into a poor side. Remember when he was here last time Gray pretty much built the side to suit him aswell. For me he’s shown a few glimpses of his quality, and hopefully when they’re back we start to play abit more to the strengths of the creative players we’ve got. 

9 hours ago, shandypants said:

Wow! I’d forgotten about Wickham. Let’s hope he’s been on the same diet as Nuhiu. Wickham was fat enough to twerk before the lockdown. 

Can Wickham still play for us when the season restarts? I would have thought the load agreement would have expired.

Rhodes and Nuhiu are different in the respect that Nuhiu is best as an impact substitute while Rhodes was signed to be top striker.

This will be reflected in salary with Rhodes earning double what Nuhiu is on.

Nuhiu wants to be away anyway and Rhodes we need off the books to realign salary costs and meet FFP.

4 minutes ago, FARGATEOWL said:

Rhodes and Nuhiu are different in the respect that Nuhiu is best as an impact substitute while Rhodes was signed to be top striker.

Nuhiu wants to be away anyway and Rhodes we need off the books to realign salary costs and meet FFP.

You're well informed, where did you learn all this? 

1 hour ago, FARGATEOWL said:

1 hour ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

You're well informed, where did you learn all this? 

I think it was from that great advocate of true journalism, THE STAR.

8 hours ago, NeonLeon said:

I don’t think he’d have come if that was the case.

No matter how good a player you are unfortunately you’ll always struggle when you’re thrown into a poor side. Remember when he was here last time Gray pretty much built the side to suit him aswell. For me he’s shown a few glimpses of his quality, and hopefully when they’re back we start to play abit more to the strengths of the creative players we’ve got. 

If Palace told him he wasn't going to play for them then the move might have been his only option for this season, it was pretty much last minute when the truth was we needed a striker as of Fletcher getting injured at the start of January. 

The glimpses of quality have sadly been few and far between.