Classy from Jordan Rhodes

15 minutes ago, shandypants said:

And then Rhodes faded after that. He was a great player at Huddersfield but is now a spent force. Let it go. 

My point wasn’t about Rhodes. It was about the Fletcher-Rhodes partnership.

1 minute ago, Holmowl said:

My point wasn’t about Rhodes. It was about the Fletcher-Rhodes partnership.

With the exception of the Forest game (where Rhodes hit top form for the first time in years), I would argue that it’s Fletcher that brings about the result and/or goals from a forward perspective. This Fletcher/Rhodes team goals argument is just rhubarb. 

• Like 2

Guest Grez Bez
13 minutes ago, shandypants said:

How come Nuhiu is judged on his ability to hold up the ball, win the aerial play and score goals but Rhodes isn’t? 

Nuhiu is a 6ft 3 target man, Rhodes isn't.

12 minutes ago, shandypants said:

How come Nuhiu is judged on his ability to hold up the ball, win the aerial play and score goals but Rhodes isn’t? 

Because he is a player that you would think with the height would be able to win the majority of headers, something which he is very poor at as he is with the majority of other things. Rhodes is judged on his goal scoring, something he obviously has struggled with in his time here. 

3 minutes ago, shandypants said:

With the exception of the Forest game (where Rhodes hit top form for the first time in years), I would argue that it’s Fletcher that brings about the result and/or goals from a forward perspective. This Fletcher/Rhodes team goals argument is just rhubarb. 

You can argue what ever you want.

Goals + Wins trumps any argument.

I couldn’t care less if it’s Rhodes, or Fletcher, or neither of them. When they partner, we score. Why are you trying to dissect it?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

Because he is a player that you would think with the height would be able to win the majority of headers, something which he is very poor at as he is with the majority of other things. Rhodes is judged on his goal scoring, something he obviously has struggled with in his time here. 

Look at language there. Nuhiu is poor, Rhodes is struggling. You and others give Rhodes a free pass and give Nuhiu absolutely nothing. 

2 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Goals + Wins trumps any argument.

I couldn’t care less if it’s Rhodes, or Fletcher, or neither of them. When they partner, we score. Why are you trying to dissect it?

When Fletcher plays we score - he is the person that brings the effect. 

2 minutes ago, shandypants said:

Look at language there. Nuhiu is poor, Rhodes is struggling. You and others give Rhodes a free pass and give Nuhiu absolutely nothing. 

And there are certain people on here that make excuses for Nuhiu and criticise everything about Rhodes. Neither of them are currently up to the job, I hope Nuhiu leaves at the end of the season and in an ideal world we would move Rhodes on as well. 

Edited by WalthamOwl

10 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Goals + Wins (Donald) trumps any argument.

So if Kenwyne Jones had stayed with us for the whole of the 2004/5 season he would have scored 46 goals and we'd have ended with 111 points?

Edited by DJMortimer
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

And there are certain people on here that make excuses for Nuhiu and criticise everything about Rhodes. Neither of them are currently up to the job, I hope Nuhiu leaves at the end of the season and in an ideal world we would move Rhodes on as well. 

You’re not wrong. What gets me is those that claim that Nuhiu is absolute dross (which he isn’t but on the other hand, he is by no means a world beater) and those that claim that Rhodes is better than he is and/or that he is just unlucky (the fact is that he is just not up to the required standard for today’s football). 

Just now, Holmowl said:

What are you on about?

Kenwyne Jones scored 7 in his only 7 appearances for us back in 2004/5. As there are no such things as outliers, variables or happenstance as far as you're concerned (at least on this subject) then clearly he would have kept that up indefinitely for the whole season had he been available to us for every game? 

• Like 1

Just now, DJMortimer said:

Kenwyne Jones scored 7 in his only 7 appearances for us back in 2004/5. As there are no such things as outliers, variables or happenstance as far as you're concerned (at least on this subject) then clearly he would have kept that up indefinitely for the whole season had he been available to us for every game? 

You are not getting it are you?

Lets use your point. 

Jones got 7 in 7. Had he got injured and missed a couple of games, would you have argued he shouldn’t get back into the side? Course not - it’d be nuts.

So, the Fletcher-Rhodes partnership scored 7 in 3 !!! Then it got injured. Now you argue it shouldn’t get back into the side. 

And it’s not even just those 3 games. Our record when they’ve been partnered is brilliant.

• Like 3

How patronising is that?

Lets use your point. 

Jones got 7 in 7. Had he got injured and missed a couple of games, would you have argued he shouldn’t get back into the side? Course not - it’d be nuts.

So, the Fletcher-Rhodes partnership scored 7 in 3 !!! Then it got injured. Now you argue it shouldn’t get back into the side. 

And it’s not even just those 3 games. Our record when they’ve been partnered is brilliant.

The difference is, Jones did not have 50 woeful appearances for us before that no matter the tactics, manager, league position, formation, partner, weather, opponent... Rhodes went into that Forest game with 1 goal in his previous 10+9 appearances.

I've given you endless examples of similar statistical anomalies in the past when you've picked this bone up, essentially just off the top of my head. These things happen... a lot.

Here's another one - in our 1990/1 promotion campaign, David Hirst had spells of 2 goals in 11 consecutive games and then 0 in 10. The rest of the season his record was 30 goals in 35. And it was nothing to do with partnerships either as Paul Williams started 50 games up top that campaign; almost ever present. Picking one set of data or the other would 'prove' he was either our most prolific striker for half a century or worse than David Graham. 

Guest Kagoshimaowl
22 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Lets use your point. 

You’re the one who needs to let it go. Jordan is shiite! End of story. 
Stats mean nothing. According to stats Lees has been better than Iorfa this season yet not one person n that I know agrees with that.

Rhodes has no pace, can’t head, doesn’t link play and has no confidence. Needs to leave.