Championship Players to refuse and NOT play when football resumes

23 minutes ago, Brommers said:

This 100%.

On the whole footballers have really shown what they are all about these past few months, themselves (yes there are some exceptions).

Can't say I'm that excited about football coming back, I'm sure I'll start getting the same emotions once it starts but i just hope this whole experience forces the game to reboot, doubt it will though as already rumours of £100m transfers.

Would you or anyone else be any different?  I seriously doubt it. 

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Hookowl said:

I would guess that the contract states something like............the contractual obligations were to continue paying the wages - on the proviso that the players would continue to work for the club until the end of their contract...........................this being 30th June.

Not saying I agree with this but it's a good get out clause if so.

Yep, this will undoubtedly be the case, which is why the payments should have been deferred in March to May when they weren't doing anything. 

32 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Would you or anyone else be any different?  I seriously doubt it. 

23 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Of course not - nobody would.

Anyone suggesting players should be any different are kidding themselves

So basically what you are saying is that come around Feb/March time, any player that is not likely to be offered a new contract by his clubs and is out of contract that summer is well within their rights to down tools in case they get injured in the last few weeks of the season, even though they signed a contract to work for the club until the end of the season? 

As previously said, it is a little different due to the season extending beyond June but the principal is the same.

Makes a mockery of what already is a bit of a joke as far as player power and player salaries are concerned, especially at this level.

Just now, hirstyboywonder said:

So basically what you are saying is that come around Feb/March time, any player that is not likely to be offered a new contract by his clubs and is out of contract that summer is well within their rights to down tools in case they get injured in the last few weeks of the season, even though they signed a contract to work for the club until the end of the season? 

Let me flip it round and ask you this

"Do you think players who have been told they aren't getting a new contract in Feb/March put in as much effort or as hard a tackle after being told that?"

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

2 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Yep, this will undoubtedly be the case, which is why the payments should have been deferred in March to May when they weren't doing anything. 

In retrospect that would have been ideal.

Although unless there was a specific clause in the contract, which I doubt, I would think that would be classed as a breach of contract.

1 minute ago, hirstyboywonder said:

As previously said, it is a little different due to the season extending beyond June but the principal is the same.

Makes a mockery of what already is a bit of a joke as far as player power and player salaries are concerned, especially at this level.

I never said that at all, but players like everyone else will look after their own interests first. Human nature.

• Like 1

Just now, Hookowl said:

In retrospect that would have been ideal.

Although unless there was a specific clause in the contract, which I doubt, I would think that would be classed as a breach of contract.

Probably, a few clubs did manage to get their players to agree to deferments across the board though. Would have been interesting to see if players like these 3 would have kicked up a fuss if their intention was never to kick another ball for their club.

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Let me flip it round and ask you this

"Do you think players who have been told they aren't getting a new contract in Feb/March put in as much effort or as hard a tackle after being told that?"

Which then goes back to my point that you shouldn't tell players that they are definitely not going to get a new contract until you have assessed their performance over the full course of the contract that they signed to work under.

Which then goes back to my point that you shouldn't tell players that they are definitely not going to get a new contract until you have assessed their performance over the full course of the contract that they signed to work under.

100% agree with that

If there wasn't a mad crazy pile on fight at the Christmas party then the only thing I can put the lack of effort from our players down to since then is exactly this. They must have been told their contracts weren't being renewed.

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

100% agree with that

If there wasn't a mad crazy pile on fight at the Christmas party then the only thing I can put the lack of effort from our players down to since then is exactly this. They must have been told their contracts weren't being renewed.

It certainly seems like a plausible reason, at least in part, for what they have delivered this year. Sadly it isn't just the out of contract players that have failed to deliver but it is possibly significant that the two main out of contract players that we know have had discussions about new contracts are the ones that have been among the best performers. 

It certainly seems like a plausible reason, at least in part, for what they have delivered this year. Sadly it isn't just the out of contract players that have failed to deliver but it is possibly significant that the two main out of contract players that we know have had discussions about new contracts are the ones that have been among the best performers. 

If two thirds of the team are playing like they don't care it's hard for the others to come out of a game looking any better

Owlstalk Shop

So how can anybody possibly claim "this season" has any integrity at all?

Many clubs will play the last half dozen games with significantly different squads - some clubs will have very important players in their fight for honours/survival that will not be available to them at the seasons sharp end

Then what about next season?

When is that scheduled to start?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Thing is in cases like Taylor Charlton would have loved to give him a new cotract but his eyes are set on a big move so wouldn't sign. 

2 hours ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

If an out of contract player suffers a career threatening injury, that's him finished

I don't blame players refusing to play

The season should be cancelled, just think of the benefits

Liverpool don't win the Premier, and Leeds don't get promoted

Bonus

id be all for that ,but they have already decided that it will be an average points basis home/away if it don't restart . then the problem is if premier starts 3 teams in bottom 3 get relegated playing , yet 3 teams come up from championship who didn't play last 9 games im pretty sure they will be straight off to court , Charlton are in bottom 3 so would be relegated , if I was 1 of those 3 players I wouldn't want to walk down a dark ally in Charlton knowing that the 3 have relegated the club. 

3 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Looking at the vids Forestieri has done of Hillsborough for the fans he will be playing.

I expect Monk will offer him a new deal, think he likes him so I suppose the promise of that might be enough to carry on. Same as Fletcher who we clearly were trying to keep. Not sure about Fox.

• Like 1

Just now, sMacLean said:

I expect Monk will offer him a new deal, think he likes him so I suppose the promise of that might be enough to carry on. Same as Fletcher who we clearly were trying to keep. Not sure about Fox.

Yeah of all the players we offer a contract to, I think all of them will accept apart from maybe Fox, who will be the one holding his cards closest to his chest.