Championship Players to refuse and NOT play when football resumes

At this point it would be a big surprise if any first team squad member who’s out of contract at the end of this month know for certain if they are going to be retained or not?

I know Monk’s been quite vocal about change but even more so with the current climate who actually knows what the future may hold?

I’m hoping when we return we can’t be as bad as we were before the suspension in play and that there could yet be a surprise in store for us should we find some form but who knows?

I hope Monk has already made his mind up what players he wants to keep and whatever happens between now and the end of the season doesn’t change that. A good month or 2 doesn’t make up for a contract mainly made up of under performing. Fletcher keep, young lads keep, rest of them can do one, the sooner the better. I’ve backed Monk and stuck up for him every now and then but if he keeps people like Pessy and Nuhiu I will be fully behind what the majority think and want him out. 

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

Charlton's top scorer Lyle Taylor will not play when the season resumes because he does not want to risk getting injured, boss Lee Bowyer says.

Taylor, 30, is out of contract at the end of June and Bowyer said the ex-AFC Wimbledon striker did not want to scupper a "life-changing move".

The EFL has said second-tier games are set to resume on 20 June, subject to safety requirements being met.

Charlton are two points adrift of safety with nine matches to play.

"We have 15 out of contract - we've got six loans and nine of our own contracted players out," Bowyer told Talksport.

"They finish at the end of June and, unfortunately for us, three players have said that they're not going to play.

"Lyle's one of them and that's tough for us, that's tough for me as the manager.

"Lyle's a big player for us - a bit like [Troy] Deeney at Watford. You know, similar situation - when he plays, we win games.

"Lyle has said that he's not going to play because of risk of injury.

"Chris Solly the same, he said the same. Then we've got David Davis, who is on loan from Birmingham, and he says he doesn't want to come back and play games."

Bowyer said that Taylor had told him he wants to play but that worrying about an injury affecting a move would mean he would not be the same player.

Taylor joined the Addicks on a free transfer from AFC Wimbledon in July 2018 and scored 32 goals in 63 league appearances.

"He is going to get a life-changing move," added Bowyer.

"I was saying this a few months ago when this first happened, when we were talking about the contract problem. I thought this could be a problem because I know how well Lyle has done for us.

"If it wasn't for Lyle, we wouldn't even be in this division. He was outstanding last season, he had a great start this season.

"He's chose now not to come back and play to the end, so we have to move on because I've got a lot of players that are hungry."

I'm sure he had a move lined up in early March when the season was due to finish in May. Would he have played the last 9 games of the season at that point and risked injury?

Not sure if the efl would care if half the players refuse to play.

They will just tell clubs to pick others, under 18's, pie seller, turnstyle op...

Btw i'm not doing owt for a couple of months, if any club wants to take a chance, £800 per week plus exes should be okaydokey.

Prefer the inside left role but will go int' net if it's hot.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

i think players should honour their contracts but beyond 3oth of June it becomes players choice, you can't force people to take a short extension, if they know they are moving on they will want to find a new club and you can't blame them for that

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

I'm sure he had a move lined up in early March when the season was due to finish in May. Would he have played the last 9 games of the season at that point and risked injury?

Yes. Because the thought of not being able to play for your club before your contract was up was never an option before because it always ran out way after the season had finished. Now it does not.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Yes. Because the thought of not being able to play for your club before your contract was up was never an option before because it always ran out way after the season had finished. Now it does not.

Exactly - but that is not the explanation he has given for not playing is it and if Charlton have still been paying their players through the lockdown he has happily taken home a salary for doing nothing for 3 months with no intention of resuming.

1 minute ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Exactly - but that is not the explanation he has given for not playing is it and if Charlton have still been paying their players through the lockdown he has happily taken home a salary for doing nothing for 3 months with no intention of resuming.

True but that's called a contract, I doubt there was a covid,19 clause.

• Like 1

Ive been falling out of love with football for ages and this confirms it stinks.

End the season was the right thing to do, but they are  blinded by money.

What is the point of playing games to empty stadiums ?

Even if its free to watch, i dont want to watch any of it

Edited by wakefieldowl
  • Like 5

Let’s be honest the majority of out of contract players that will refuse to play will be decent players that are confident of getting a deal at another club. No bloody chance crap like Pessy will refuse to play because they have another deal lined up, no one half decent would be daft enough to take him on. 

1 hour ago, hirstyboywonder said:

He probably did have an intention of resuming, but just not past the 30th of June when he is no longer contracted to the club.

And what with the long lay of now, chances are as soon as he starts playing proper football again he will get a major muscle injury.

He will be the first of many, many players who know that they dont want to accept a contract at there current club that will refuse to come back.

Will it happen here. Probably not as all are probably hoping for the offer of a new contract.

Edited by pazowl55

3 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

He probably did have an intention of resuming, but just not past the 30th of June when he is no longer contracted to the club.

And what with the long lay of now, chances are as soon as he starts playing proper football again he will get a major muscle injury.

He will be the first of many, many players who know that they dont want to accept a contract at there current club that will refuse to come back.

Will it happen here. Probably not as all are probably hoping for the offer of a new contract.

He had recently returned from an injury lay off before the lockdown so probably had more cause to worry about an injury then.

Regardless of whether he is under contract or not, the reason he has given for not wanting to play is fear of injury - the same risk existed for the final few games of the season if it had been played without delay. 

4 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

He had recently returned from an injury lay off before the lockdown so probably had more cause to worry about an injury then.

Regardless of whether he is under contract or not, the reason he has given for not wanting to play is fear of injury - the same risk existed for the final few games of the season if it had been played without delay. 

Now he can use that excuse and get away with it.,( because his contract is up ) Before covid19 he couldn't.

If covid19 hadn't happened do you think he would have said that in March or would he have played till the end of the season.

5 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Now he can use that excuse and get away with it.,( because his contract is up ) Before covid19 he couldn't.

If covid19 hadn't happened do you think he would have said that in March or would he have played till the end of the season.

I think he would have played on so he is using this as a convenient excuse because his chance of injury is more or less the same now as it would have been then. 

19 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

I think he would have played on so he is using this as a convenient excuse because his chance of injury is more or less the same now as it would have been then. 

Chance of a major injury is more likely now because of the lack of match sharpness he wont have. Which he would have got through u23 games had he been out for the same period as this injured. I can understand why players are doing it if they want to leave. However it's a bit unfair on his club as the chances of them now going down are massive. So he is also letting them down.