In other news, Sheffield In Lockdown

1 minute ago, room0035 said:

I have to drive down Derek Dooley way to work every day before lockdown.

Before it existed and was the old road it took 5-10 minutes everyday now it can take anything up to 20-30 minutes to do the same trip stationary cars creating more pollutions. It does not add anything to the city just create more traffic.

One accident any where in the city centre and the roads are total grid lock. This is the network we now have.

20 years ago catch the 82 bus from Stannington to the bottom of the moor, go to the end of Pinstone Street turn right , down the back of Debenhams on to the moor.

20 years on same trip to Pinstone Street but the council have pedestrianised the top of the moor, now turn left go down the road, around the roundabout and back up the road. One example of a pointless waste of money and has actually increased traffic and pollutions. The city centre is full of countless examples of this.

What you are actually saying is that SCC's traffic department is pitiful which is a well known fact, the buses aren't down the to the council it's down to the private company that now runs them. I can remember getting on the bus for 2p as a kid but times move on. I haven't lived in Sheffield for over 20 years now but things have to change and move with the times

Screenshot 2020-05-12 at 11.02.59.jpg

Speaking of Fitzalan Square I don't know if you remember what this used to be like here, but just this little touch like opening up this approach to Fitzalan Square makes a massive difference to how it feels.

Before it was sketchy and horrible. Now it's open, safe, and pleasant

Little touches all add up

Owlstalk Shop

Screenshot 2020-05-12 at 11.04.32.jpg

Screenshot 2020-05-12 at 11.04.39.jpg

Another one for anyone who thinks plans are just plans and nothing gets built or done with them, here's what's currently being built as part of the same phase as the HSBC building next door to it etc

They're building it today. As we speak. As you read this people are building it.

Owlstalk Shop

3 minutes ago, soldierboyblue said:

The old building was not fit for purpose and the council were faced with a decision of letting the bank walk away (possibly to Leeds), taking the investment that comes from the bank when hosting events and putting people up in local hotels etc. Leeds is already recognised as the financial capital of the north and Sheffield has to try and claw ground back.

The recent investment in the High Tech park goes some way to doing this but you have to accept that we are now a services based economy and the quicker actually recognise this we may well see some movement on the urban regeneration of the old east end. This could be used to bring people back into the city on old brown field sites that will never ever see heavy industry again. These could be used for business parks and the like, interspersed with housing and trees to make it a win win.

The original Town reaeration or SevernStone was to bring business and develop the city all that has been done so far is move business already in Sheffield to other parts of Sheffield.

Yes these are new building but they are not adding anything doing it other than Debt. 

I do not know if what you say above is true but I do know that HSBC and Sheffield University between them own about 2/3 of the building in Sheffield so I would be surprised if HSBC suddenly decided to leave Sheffield for Leeds.

But Leeds have spent an absolute fortune over the last 20+ years making it one of the top city of the North and in the country with a mix of open spaces, shopping and business to attract people to the city and also others to stay.

Ask anyone not from Sheffield what they like best about Sheffield and the answer I get mostly is the people they are so friendly and welcoming, the areas of natural beauty and the green spaces. This is what we should be building on.

Screenshot 2020-05-12 at 11.06.40.jpg

This was taken on Thursday.

As we sit reading this thread people are building Sheffield. This is down in the Castle Market area looking down towards The Wicker

New roads, green walkways being built as we sit reading this thread.

People are building it. Today. Right now.

Notice the trees too @room0035

This bit is the Grey to Green scheme.

It started around West Bar a few years ago and has been extended to link West Bar to Castlegate and Victoria Quays.

If/when the plans around the train station happen, it'll be extended down to link to Sheaf Street and over to South Street park, the Cholera Monument.

Hopefully they'll go the other way too and link through to Kelham Island.

Owlstalk Shop

2 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Ask anyone not from Sheffield what they like best about Sheffield and the answer I get mostly is the people they are so friendly and welcoming, the areas of natural beauty and the green spaces. This is what we should be building on.

You were advocating The Hole In The Road earlier in the thread (a HUGE concrete cesspool)

You are still posting about stuff you obviously don't know about mate. You need to read up on the plans and things that are being built RIGHT NOW as you are posting your outdated views

lol

In the time you've spent posting outdated views you could have actually read up on it, and learnt what's being built (as you post your posts).

Ps - I've posted some photos in this thread as just a couple of small examples of what's being built RIGHT NOW as we speak

Owlstalk Shop

10 minutes ago, soldierboyblue said:

Good grief so you think that HMG still hold that against SCC?

You haven't read my post properly...I said it put us to the back of the queue and we've been playing catch up ever since.

4 minutes ago, Hougoumont said:

You haven't read my post properly...I said it put us to the back of the queue and we've been playing catch up ever since.

We had a Labour government for 13 years and there was no significant change over that period - the issue lies with the ineptness that is SCC. 

If there is a viable vision that brings returns and opportunities then private money will be invested if not then the investment will sadly not follow.

4 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Screenshot 2020-05-12 at 11.06.40.jpg

This was taken on Thursday.

As we sit reading this thread people are building Sheffield. This is down in the Castle Market area looking down towards The Wicker

New roads, green walkways being built as we sit reading this thread.

People are building it. Today. Right now.

Notice the trees too @room0035

This bit is the Grey to Green scheme.

It started around West Bar a few years ago and has been extended to link West Bar to Castlegate and Victoria Quays.

If/when the plans around the train station happen, it'll be extended down to link to Sheaf Street and over to South Street park, the Cholera Monument.

Hopefully they'll go the other way too and link through to Kelham Island.

I have to say in my opinion they are really trying to spend money on tarting the city up. I say this because the lift company i work for are putting new lifts in around the city centre in new or major refurbished buildings, only recently we fitted new ones in the old Star building on Campo Lane behind the Bankers Draft. 

I will say this though it does appear much of the money is being spent to accommodate students as many of these apartments and high rise buildings are intended for student living, which I'm not saying is a bad thing.

10 minutes ago, room0035 said:

The original Town reaeration or SevernStone was to bring business and develop the city all that has been done so far is move business already in Sheffield to other parts of Sheffield.

Yes these are new building but they are not adding anything doing it other than Debt. 

I do not know if what you say above is true but I do know that HSBC and Sheffield University between them own about 2/3 of the building in Sheffield so I would be surprised if HSBC suddenly decided to leave Sheffield for Leeds.

But Leeds have spent an absolute fortune over the last 20+ years making it one of the top city of the North and in the country with a mix of open spaces, shopping and business to attract people to the city and also others to stay.

I live in Leeds and what it is good for is shopping because it's a wealthier city. But the Heart of the City development and the position of the Town and City Halls gives Sheffield a different vibe because Leeds civic buildings are on the periphery of the city centre. Sheffield feels like a city with a civic heart, Leeds feels more like an outdoor Meadowhall. Good for bars though. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Johnny Concrete said:

I have to say in my opinion they are really trying to spend money on tarting the city up. I say this because the lift company i work for are putting new lifts in around the city centre in new or major refurbished buildings, only recently we fitted new ones in the old Star building on Campo Lane behind the Bankers Draft. 

I will say this though it does appear much of the money is being spent to accommodate students as many of these apartments and high rise buildings are intended for student living, which I'm not saying is a bad thing.

Some are. 

Sheffield City Council have a clear understanding that students don't bring a 365 day presence to the city, so all the city centre residentials like on the new Fargate will not be student led at all, and will home private Sheffield tenants to ensure that students are accomodated elsewhere.

Sheffield's students are being accommodated really well at the moment and it's superb to see so many new, safe buildings for them to live instead of having to rent some grotty house off a dodgy landlord.

We need our students big time, and there's a real risk of this Covid causing significant problems with movement of people to other cities/countries to study. That's a worry, but if student population did dwindle then we have state of the art new buildings that will end up being rented out to private tenants instead, therefore creating more supply, therefore meaning rents across the city are much reduced for everyone

Owlstalk Shop

6 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

You were advocating The Hole In The Road earlier in the thread (a HUGE concrete cesspool)

You are still posting about stuff you obviously don't know about mate. You need to read up on the plans and things that are being built RIGHT NOW as you are posting your outdated views

lol

The hole in the road is nostalgia every person in Sheffield over 20 remembers it most fondly.

Now what is there is a tram stop, I don't see many people talking on forums about the Snig hill tram stop. Maybe I am going to the wrong sites. lol

Sheffield is unfortunately a city 20 years behind everywhere else, it should be building its future on what it does well, the people the area. but unfortunately from all your pictures and plan posted it would look like it is being based on pedestrianised roads, which leads to less people in the city centre because as most know our public transport system is not fit for a city our size.

Yes there are a few sampling in your picture but look at them closely how can a tree than can grow 20-40 meter high going to grow with a 1 meter square surrounded by concrete they are not their for health but decoration and will probably get dug up every few years and replaced by smaller ones. This like it or not will have an affect on people health.

14 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Sheffield is a wonderful city, has been improved loads over the last couple of years, and is a million miles away from being called that these days

I agree in parts Sheffield is a beautiful place. Some places are very green and the hills provide some wonderful views.

Sadly the city centre is awful & scruffy.

Screenshot 2020-05-12 at 11.22.33.jpg

The new buildings on The Moor (for those who haven't seen them before) look great! They're bright, clean, modern and house shops, restaurants and a new cinema. 

People said these were just plans and would never get built.

Here they are though, looking fantastic and making the older buildings on The Moor look terrible.

Owlstalk Shop

2 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Now what is there is a tram stop, I don't see many people talking on forums about the Snig hill tram stop. Maybe I am going to the wrong sites. 

So let me get my head around this

You want open spaces, with trees, but don't like the new Castle Square tram stop area

You don't want concrete but you want the Hole In The Road back?

You're contradicting yourself over and over and over and over

Owlstalk Shop

5 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Some are. 

Sheffield City Council have a clear understanding that students don't bring a 365 day presence to the city, so all the city centre residentials like on the new Fargate will not be student led at all, and will home private Sheffield tenants to ensure that students are accomodated elsewhere.

Sheffield's students are being accommodated really well at the moment and it's superb to see so many new, safe buildings for them to live instead of having to rent some grotty house off a dodgy landlord.

We need our students big time, and there's a real risk of this Covid causing significant problems with movement of people to other cities/countries to study. That's a worry, but if student population did dwindle then we have state of the art new buildings that will end up being rented out to private tenants instead, therefore creating more supply, therefore meaning rents across the city are much reduced for everyone

So lets say the student leave which they won't what does Sheffield have to offer over Leeds, Manchester, Liverpool that would make you pick Sheffield to live in.

What in our city centre is better than the other City's of similar size to our in the North.