In other news, Sheffield In Lockdown

21 minutes ago, soldierboyblue said:

I'll agree with some of that but it's a million miles away from being as good as Leeds and Manchester I'm afraid

It's really getting there though. 

Have you seen the plans for Sheffield? They're fantastic and we should be really proud of our city for going for it.

Owlstalk Shop

11 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Which greenery has been replaced by concrete mate?

Look at all the picture in the video street after street of concrete.

Look at the work they are doing on derek Dooley way taking out all of the tree in the central reservation replacing them with a third lane than then narrows back to two (causing a bottle neck) near the Tesco, they have actually make the road worse and removed all the trees that were helping to reduce polution

They have chopped the tree on Fargate, the moor, near Debenhams,  Snig Hill, The hole in the road was filled in for the tram, the peace gardens is now concrete and fountains

See the source imageBut not just that in the surrounding areas of the city, wherever they can tarmac has replaced greener. 

And gasp shock horror get rid of all the mature trees and pollution increases.

I am not a tree hugger but I acknowledge the benefit they bring people to their health and they also look a lot nice that street after street of tarmac

Edited by room0035

1 minute ago, room0035 said:

See the source image

Look at all the picture in the video street after street of concrete.

Look at the work they are doing on derek Dooley way taking out all of the tree in the central reservation replacing them with a third lane than then narrows back to two (causing a bottle neck) near the Tesco, they have actually make the road worse and removed all the trees that were helping to reduce polution

They have chopped the tree on Fargate, the moor, near Debenhams,  Snig Hill, The hole in the road was filled in for the tram, the peace gardens is now concrete and fountains

But not just that in the surrounding areas of the city, wherever they can tarmac has replaced greener. 

And gasp shock horror get rid of all the mature trees and pollution increases.

The Hole In The Road - what was that made out of?

Owlstalk Shop

6 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

The Hole In The Road - what was that made out of?

Indeed but as a kid I went through it every time I went into town with the family, saw the fishes in the big tank, bought a star from the seller in there and I believe there were tree in there too.

Image result for sheffield hole in the road

Edited by room0035

Screenshot 2020-05-12 at 10.01.20.jpg

Screenshot 2020-05-12 at 10.01.27.jpg

Screenshot 2020-05-12 at 10.01.37.jpg

Let's talk actual facts though

All these redevelopments you mention - they all have brand new trees planted there.

It's almost impossible to take a photo of a new development in Sheffield and NOT get a tree in it

Don't listen to anyone with a political agenda on this one. Look with your own eyes and see for yourself.

Sheffield's developing into a fine fine city, much cleaner, much more environmentally friendly, and way more modern

The above is just one single example. Trees in every single photo that are newly planted.

Don't be saying there's no greenery in the city because there's loads

Owlstalk Shop

Indeed but as a kid I went through it every time I went into town with the family, saw the fishes in the big tank, bought a star from the seller in their and I believe there were tree in there too.

Image result for sheffield hole in the road

WTF

It was a huge CONCRETE construction that you just complained about

FFS

Owlstalk Shop

16 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

It's really getting there though. 

Have you seen the plans for Sheffield? They're fantastic and we should be really proud of our city for going for it.

I am in my 40's now and was in my early 20's when Severn Stone was first mentioned by the council to regenerate the city and bring the big shops and people to the city.

So far some 15-20 years late they have moved the market from Castle market to the Moor and move HBSC from Silver Head Steet to the top of the moor.

Where is the big stores, where is the regeneration, where is the jobs, the people, how is building a state of the art building for one of the world riches banks helping Sheffield.

The council talk a good game but rarely deliver and unfortunately I do believe Co-Vid will be the final nail in the coffin for our 1970's city centre. City's like Leeds, Manchester, Liverpool have had some real investment to bring them up to date. Even places like Hull have overtaken where we are.

Screenshot 2020-05-12 at 10.05.15.jpg

Screenshot 2020-05-12 at 10.05.38.jpg

Screenshot 2020-05-12 at 10.06.00.jpg

Don't be hating on my city saying there's no greenery, or labour councils don't like greenery, or that everything is being replaced by concrete when I can just flick through photos/videos I took this week around town and find it IMPOSSIBLE to take a photo in our city centre without trees/greenery in it.

I'm not having it

Your views are outdated

Our city is fine and green, and I'm proud of it

Owlstalk Shop

3 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

WTF

It was a huge CONCRETE construction that you just complained about

FFS

Correct, and that 'tree' was just plants in numerous plant pots.

I should know i worked down there in the 80s.

I am in my 40's now and was in my early 20's when Severn Stone was first mentioned by the council to regenerate the city and bring the big shops and people to the city.

So far some 15-20 years late they have moved the market from Castle market to the Moor and move HBSC from Silver Head Steet to the top of the moor.

Where is the big stores, where is the regeneration, where is the jobs, the people, how is building a state of the art building for one of the world riches banks helping Sheffield.

The council talk a good game but rarely deliver and unfortunately I do believe Co-Vid will be the final nail in the coffin for our 1970's city centre. City's like Leeds, Manchester, Liverpool have had some real investment to bring them up to date. Even places like Hull have overtaken where we are.

No offence mate but you're talking absolute nonsense.

"how is building a state of the art building for one of the world riches banks helping Sheffield" 

"where is the regeneration, where is the jobs, the people"

Bizarre that you put both of those in the same sentence too

lol

Owlstalk Shop

It seems some people are stuck in the old Sheffield folk ways of slating the city centre off, using outdated views from yesteryear when it may not have been the most attractive city centre, and when times were tough financially to do anything about it.

These days it's a totally different experience. It's fast becoming a very very cool city, with great buildings, fantastic spaces, and the plans for the next phase are really exciting to say the least.

But some folk will still try and find something to whinge about

How's about you love your city, support it's redevelopment, and most importantly of all have a walk around the city centre next time you can, experience it for yourself, open your eyes, take it all in, and realise that your views are outdated?

Sheffield City Centre is fantastic already and about to get a whole lot better

Owlstalk Shop

7 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Screenshot 2020-05-12 at 10.01.20.jpg

Screenshot 2020-05-12 at 10.01.27.jpg

Screenshot 2020-05-12 at 10.01.37.jpg

Let's talk actual facts though

All these redevelopments you mention - they all have brand new trees planted there.

It's almost impossible to take a photo of a new development in Sheffield and NOT get a tree in it

Don't listen to anyone with a political agenda on this one. Look with your own eyes and see for yourself.

Sheffield's developing into a fine fine city, much cleaner, much more environmentally friendly, and way more modern

The above is just one single example. Trees in every single photo that are newly planted.

Don't be saying there's no greenery in the city because there's loads

How is it more environmentally friendly.

A mature tree take the same amount of Carbon out of the environment as 20 saplings so how does cutting down the older trees and replacing them with concreted in sampling improve the environment, Look at you top pitch with the tree it has about 1 metre square the rest is concrete, what happens when it grows and pulls up the pavement. The council will chop it down and replace it with a smaller one.

Look some people don't like green spaces but they have a function over just looking nice and when you add into the mix all of the mainline buses pumping out their smog you can kind of see what the issue is with Sheffield and pollution.

2 minutes ago, room0035 said:

How is it more environmentally friendly.

You really need to read up on Sheffield's redevelopment if you don't understand how we're moving forward with a more environmentally friendly, carbon neutral city centre mate.

Start here in our City Centre redevelopment thread on Owlstalk in the Dressing Room section  

Owlstalk Shop

9 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

No offence mate but you're talking absolute nonsense.

"how is building a state of the art building for one of the world riches banks helping Sheffield" 

"where is the regeneration, where is the jobs, the people"

Bizarre that you put both of those in the same sentence too

lol

The HSBC employees people in Sheffield they have move from one side of the city to the other creating no jobs, no regeneration but they have got themselves a new council paid for building.

The new regeneration you talk about what has changed in the city centre, I look around there is less stores other than cheap brands. More bars, fast food, charity shops. I cannot see one areas that has added to the city.

7 minutes ago, room0035 said:

The new regeneration you talk about what has changed in the city centre

See my last post with links to the redevelopment thread mate. Go read it and you'll learn very quickly just how much Sheffield is changing and has changed for the better.

If you're passionate about this subject to attack the City, you should be passionate enough about it to read the actual facts on it :rolleyes:

Owlstalk Shop

18 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

It seems some people are stuck in the old Sheffield folk ways of slating the city centre off, using outdated views from yesteryear when it may not have been the most attractive city centre, and when times were tough financially to do anything about it.

These days it's a totally different experience. It's fast becoming a very very cool city, with great buildings, fantastic spaces, and the plans for the next phase are really exciting to say the least.

But some folk will still try and find something to whinge about

How's about you love your city, support it's redevelopment, and most importantly of all have a walk around the city centre next time you can, experience it for yourself, open your eyes, take it all in, and realise that your views are outdated?

Sheffield City Centre is fantastic already and about to get a whole lot better

Before lockdown I brought some people to Sheffield who hadn't been for years. Wandered up from station through Peace Gardens etc and up Division Street. Then out to Kelham Island. They loved it and were very impressed. . 

Just now, rickygoo said:

Before lockdown I brought some people to Sheffield who hadn't been for years. Wandered up from station through Peace Gardens etc and up Division Street. Then out to Kelham Island. They loved it and were very impressed. . 

That's ace. 

I think there's a natural tendency for anyone in any city to criticise their home towns, call out the negatives in their city centres, but a neutral visiting that city would have a really different perspective entirely, and (taking into account things like druggies on the streets, run down areas) will often have a totally different experience. That's natural.

But I really do think that Sheffield folk need to have another look at the City Centre and how it's evolving. It's the most exciting, most attractive, most innovative redevelopment of our city in our entire lifetimes.

Look up the plans - see the changes. It's all outstanding stuff. Like really really brilliant redevelopment.

Let's not listen to outdated views or people with agendas. Trust your own eyes and ears and experiences and you'll soon see how great our city centre is becoming.

Owlstalk Shop