In other news, Sheffield In Lockdown

1 minute ago, matthefish2002 said:

I agree in parts Sheffield is a beautiful place. Some places are very green and the hills provide some wonderful views.

Sadly the city centre is awful & scruffy.

It really isn't

Watch the video at the start of this thread

Take a look at the photos I"m showing in this thread

It really really is not.

Owlstalk Shop

Just now, room0035 said:

So lets say the student leave which they won't what does Sheffield have to offer over Leeds, Manchester, Liverpool that would make you pick Sheffield to live in.

What in our city centre is better than the other City's of similar size to our in the North. 

I'm getting the perception that you hate our city, hate our city centre, dont' agree with any change, moan about every change, don't understand any of it, haven't read anything about what is actually getting built (buildings that I'm showing you photos of that have been built and area being built), and yet you keep posting instead of educating yourself on the actual facts

Owlstalk Shop

Screenshot 2020-05-12 at 11.28.04.jpg

Safe, clean open spaces with new trees planted

Anyone walking round Fitzalan Square over the last 20 years should go and walk round it now. Totally totally different vibe altogether. 

Before it was sketchy and run down and dark. 

Now look at it. 

Bright. Open. Safe.

Owlstalk Shop

19 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Screenshot 2020-05-12 at 11.06.40.jpg

This was taken on Thursday.

As we sit reading this thread people are building Sheffield. This is down in the Castle Market area looking down towards The Wicker

New roads, green walkways being built as we sit reading this thread.

People are building it. Today. Right now.

Notice the trees too @room0035

This bit is the Grey to Green scheme.

It started around West Bar a few years ago and has been extended to link West Bar to Castlegate and Victoria Quays.

If/when the plans around the train station happen, it'll be extended down to link to Sheaf Street and over to South Street park, the Cholera Monument.

Hopefully they'll go the other way too and link through to Kelham Island.

Is that where the old Alexander pub was.

4 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

So let me get my head around this

You want open spaces, with trees, but don't like the new Castle Square tram stop area

You don't want concrete but you want the Hole In The Road back?

You're contradicting yourself over and over and over and over

No look at what I have said what makes Sheffield unique is the people, the history, the city as it was. 

Yes redevelopment is needed but to improve the area, bring business to the region, improve the infrastructure to attract manufacturing to the area and create jobs for the people.

What is Sheffield famous for.

I will start you off

Steel

The birth place of the modern game of football

Its local Brewerys

The access to green Spaces

Just now, room0035 said:

What is Sheffield famous for.

I will start you off

Steel

The birth place of the modern game of football

Its local Brewerys

The access to green Spaces

So now you're wanting Sheffield to just stick with that and not evolve into something even better with new things to be known for?

Strange viewpoint

Ps - you should check out https://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk

Owlstalk Shop

1 hour ago, room0035 said:

Look at all the picture in the video street after street of concrete.

Look at the work they are doing on derek Dooley way taking out all of the tree in the central reservation replacing them with a third lane than then narrows back to two (causing a bottle neck) near the Tesco, they have actually make the road worse and removed all the trees that were helping to reduce polution

They have chopped the tree on Fargate, the moor, near Debenhams,  Snig Hill, The hole in the road was filled in for the tram, the peace gardens is now concrete and fountains

See the source imageBut not just that in the surrounding areas of the city, wherever they can tarmac has replaced greener. 

And gasp shock horror get rid of all the mature trees and pollution increases.

I am not a tree hugger but I acknowledge the benefit they bring people to their health and they also look a lot nice that street after street of tarmac

Plenty of space for a nice patio and some decking. Could chuck in a BBQ in as well.

Loads of scope when you think about it.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Screenshot 2020-05-12 at 11.37.01.jpg

This is opposite Sheffield Castle area across the river

New modern walkthrough with bars, restaurants and apartments coming there overlooking the river and the new Sheffield Castle gardens area

Look from someone who works with 5 minutes of this picture I would suggest you have a walk around this area. New and modern are not words I would describe it. Take a little walk from this to Nursery street two the river Don with yes greenery but the Smell when it rains tell the story of where money should be being spent to Clean up the River than runs through the heart of the city.

If they have plan to regenerate this area then great because currently it is not a place I would want to be walking on a dark night. lol

1 minute ago, room0035 said:

Look from someone who works with 5 minutes of this picture I would suggest you have a walk around this area. New and modern are not words I would describe it. Take a little walk from this to Nursery street two the river Don with yes greenery but the Smell when it rains tell the story of where money should be being spent to Clean up the River than runs through the heart of the city.

If they have plan to regenerate this area then great because currently it is not a place I would want to be walking on a dark night. lol

I walk around there at night with ZERO problems

Professionals live in housing all around there with no problems.

Owlstalk Shop

Screenshot 2020-05-12 at 11.45.47.jpg

Modern Sheffield

Bright, open spaces.

Modern and safe

New buildings, on the left a hotel, behind that the Winter Gardens, to the right bars restaurants and cafes on ground level, with offices and residential upstairs

That's the future of Sheffield City Centre.

Owlstalk Shop