In other news, Sheffield In Lockdown

4 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Screenshot 2020-05-12 at 10.14.29.jpg

The 'Labour' (seeing as some of you want to make it political) council's redevelopment of the Castle Market area has seen that horrific concrete market building removed and flattened to be replaced by this.

@room0035 - is that ok for you or is the castle feature too concrete for you?

But They have been talking about these redevelopment for 20 years and that's all it is talk.

There has been no new regeneration in Sheffield since the 1990's when we hosted the World Student games and 30 years later we are still paying for it and will be for the next 20 too.

Look I hope you are right but when it comes to Sheffield we are the forgotten city of the North.

3 minutes ago, room0035 said:

There has been no new regeneration in Sheffield since the 1990's

I’m not sure I can keep going with this conversation with you mate as you're just ignoring everything I’m putting in front of you that is fact based. 

Have you read the Sheffield redevelopment thread?

Owlstalk Shop

50 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

It's really getting there though. 

Have you seen the plans for Sheffield? They're fantastic and we should be really proud of our city for going for it.

That is just what they are though Neil plans, SCC are inept and the city has fallen from being the number 1 city centre in Yorkshire to being nowhere near.

The proof of this is the debacle of the old Grosvenor Hotel site and the Casbah etc, years and years to sort this but failed to do so. That is just one failure.

38 minutes ago, room0035 said:

how is building a state of the art building for one of the world riches banks helping Sheffield.

That I'm afraid is a very very short sighted view and if you aren't just being argumentative show's your lack of actual vision and what investment actually brings to the city

4 minutes ago, soldierboyblue said:

That is just what they are though Neil plans, SCC are inept and the city has fallen from being the number 1 city centre in Yorkshire to being nowhere near.

The proof of this is the debacle of the old Grosvenor Hotel site and the Casbah etc, years and years to sort this but failed to do so. That is just one failure.

Screenshot 2020-05-12 at 10.47.57.jpg

Screenshot 2020-05-12 at 10.01.20.jpg

Owlstalk Shop

24 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

You really need to read up on Sheffield's redevelopment if you don't understand how we're moving forward with a more environmentally friendly, carbon neutral city centre mate.

Start here in our City Centre redevelopment thread on Owlstalk in the Dressing Room section  

Is there an article or just a link to an owls talk thread.

I have live and worked in and around Sheffield most of my life, I have seen £10's million wasted on City projects that add little or nothing to the city.

The money wasted on Woodseats to increase traffic, the millions wasted on Derek Dooley way to increase traffic, the pedestrianizing of the city centre to outlaw the car which has driven people out of the city centre. 

Shopping areas like Division Street and Chaplewalk where you got the quirky unusual shops have been driven out with the Council policies and compulsory purchases of building.

I really do hope there is a renewed vigor to redevelop and improve the city centre but business are leaving Sheffield for other areas, branded shops are leaving in their droves and being replaced with discount stores and charity shops. Everywhere you look apartment locks are being built to then stand largely empty.

Go outside of the city centre and the story is the same, Our very own Jess Ennis was the face of the 2012 Olympics how did we reward her and the city we knock down her training ground and the home of one of the sport teams.

10 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I’m not sure I can keep going with this conversation with you mate as you're just ignoring everything I’m putting in front of you that is fact based. 

Have you read the Sheffield redevelopment thread?

A 12 page thread don't have the time now sorry will try later.

1 minute ago, room0035 said:

the millions wasted on Derek Dooley way to increase traffic,

The pedestrianizing of the city centre to outlaw the car which has driven people out of the city centre. 

Just two sentences here in your reply that are total nonsense mate. Not just a wrong perception or opinion but factually WRONG. Just incorrect. Absolutely incorrect. 

Owlstalk Shop

7 minutes ago, soldierboyblue said:

That I'm afraid is a very very short sighted view and if you aren't just being argumentative show's your lack of actual vision and what investment actually brings to the city

But you are missing the point how does moving a business from one side of the city spending £millions on a building and putting them in another part of the city, creating no jobs, no more business, no new business to the area improve the city.

All we have done is move a business from one place to the other and spent millions in the process.

This may be me but where are we improving anything, creating jobs. All I can see is we have waste millions that could have been spent bring more jobs, businesses to the area.

A 12 page thread don't have the time now sorry will try later.

It's worth a read when you get the chance as it covers all the plans, all the stuff that's happened so far, what's coming, and what is currently being constructed.

Also the plans for Fargate to become a residential and leisure street given retail is on it's arse. There will be bars, cafe's and independent traders on there with residential housing above to locate more people (not students) into the Fargate area.

Owlstalk Shop

1 hour ago, soldierboyblue said:

I'll agree with some of that but it's a million miles away from being as good as Leeds and Manchester I'm afraid

Sheffield is a much nicer place than either of those. I think what you mean is that they both have had much more money spent on them regarding infrastructure and development. So has Birmingham, Liverpool and Newcastle. I think the city councils anti government stance and backing of the miners in the 70/80's put us at the back of the queue when redevelopment cash started to flow and we're still playing catch up.

Screenshot 2020-05-12 at 10.54.45.jpg

it's no exaggeration when I say this (and I've studied Fitzalan Square in great detail for projects over the years) to say that Fitzalan Square has never ever looked as good as it does today.

There's not a single moment in time when Fitzalan Square looked any better than it currently does.

Just one more example of how great the improvements are that have already been done

Owlstalk Shop

4 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Just two sentences here in your reply that are total nonsense mate. Not just a wrong perception or opinion but factually WRONG. Just incorrect. Absolutely incorrect. 

I have to drive down Derek Dooley way to work every day before lockdown.

Before it existed and was the old road it took 5-10 minutes everyday now it can take anything up to 20-30 minutes to do the same trip stationary cars creating more pollutions. It does not add anything to the city just create more traffic.

One accident any where in the city centre and the roads are total grid lock. This is the network we now have.

20 years ago catch the 82 bus from Stannington to the bottom of the moor, go to the end of Pinstone Street turn right , down the back of Debenhams on to the moor.

20 years on same trip to Pinstone Street but the council have pedestrianised the top of the moor, now turn left go down the road, around the roundabout and back up the road. One example of a pointless waste of money and has actually increased traffic and pollutions. The city centre is full of countless examples of this.

But you are missing the point how does moving a business from one side of the city spending £millions on a building and putting them in another part of the city, creating no jobs, no more business, no new business to the area improve the city.

All we have done is move a business from one place to the other and spent millions in the process.

This may be me but where are we improving anything, creating jobs. All I can see is we have waste millions that could have been spent bring more jobs, businesses to the area.

The old building was not fit for purpose and the council were faced with a decision of letting the bank walk away (possibly to Leeds), taking the investment that comes from the bank when hosting events and putting people up in local hotels etc. Leeds is already recognised as the financial capital of the north and Sheffield has to try and claw ground back.

The recent investment in the High Tech park goes some way to doing this but you have to accept that we are now a services based economy and the quicker actually recognise this we may well see some movement on the urban regeneration of the old east end. This could be used to bring people back into the city on old brown field sites that will never ever see heavy industry again. These could be used for business parks and the like, interspersed with housing and trees to make it a win win.