In other news, Sheffield In Lockdown

4 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I'm considering tonight posting a bullet pointed list of things that @room0035 is saying he wants or things/roads that Sheffield should have.

Then a bullet point list of things that he thinks Sheffield shouldn't have/do.

It'll be mindboggling

You are telling how great the investment is in Sheffield 

I told you all they have done is move business already here to other parts of the city and spent millions doing it.

Look tell me we are an environmental friendly city yet we cut down trees and plants and replace them with sapling in concrete boxes. We make streets no go areas for transport and the vehicle in the city have to travel further thus creating more pollution.

You talk about the regeneration of the city but other than building some modern building that now sit empty or filled with charity shops and take aways there is no actual regeneration happening, no jobs are being created, no new business are being attracted to the city

You call me out of date but 10-15 years ago there were more people living and working in the city centre than there is now.

You have answer none of the point I have raise instead attacking me and look you have your view I have mine we will leave it there.

10 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

During this Covid 19 outbreak I'm not ashamed to say that I've been heavily attached to alcohol at night to get me through it.

Around 5:30pm I'll have a few lagers whilst relaxing, sometimes more

It's a coping mechanism

Sometimes I'll have loads and have a party in my pants and dance around my living room to Youtube music videos.

So I'm speaking from a position of ultimate experience here.

I'm starting to wonder if our good friend @room0035 does a similar thing but has got his clock's all muddled up and started way way way too early

Thank you 

For someone from Sheffield born and bred who has lived and worked in the city and seem its decline over the last 30 years. 

Clearly I must have been imagining it all.

And thank you for the level of replies I would expect you have answer none of my question and now you are attacking me as a person.

Don't not worry I am done.

• Haha 1

Just now, room0035 said:

Thank you 

For someone from Sheffield born and bred who has lived and worked in the city and seem its decline over the last 30 years. 

Clearly I must have been imagining it all.

And thank you for the level of replies I would expect you have answer none of my question and now you are attacking me as a person.

Don't not worry I am done.

I was just teasing mate as I genuinely thought you were trolling the thread

lol

Sorry if I upset you - that wasn't my intention at all - I just thought you were on the windup

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, room0035 said:

Have you not seen all the photos, videos and documentary evidence I've posted in this whole entire thread though?

When I've posted them and asked you about them you've not replied to a single one so I'm unsure if you have seen then now or not.

What do you think? 

The photos I've shown all show massive improvement, buildings being built, open spaces being created, new trees being planted, road improvements and a new green walkway round the city.

What do you think of those?

Owlstalk Shop

8 minutes ago, room0035 said:

You are telling how great the investment is in Sheffield 

I told you all they have done is move business already here to other parts of the city and spent millions doing it.

Yet only a few posts back you stated this so I posted a photo of a building opposite the train station and asked if you knew what it was

You ignored that post too

But I posted that photo for a reason mate. To see if you knew what that building was, what business was inside it, why it was built etc

That was just one tiny example I could give on Sheffield regeneration attracting business here

But you totally ignored it

Owlstalk Shop

3 hours ago, soldierboyblue said:

I'll agree with some of that but it's a million miles away from being as good as Leeds and Manchester I'm afraid

I live a few miles out of Leeds and had cause to work in Manchester a few times. In my opinion Sheffield is the best out of the three.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Do you know where the Steel for the barrier came from. 

Which do you think

a) a city built on tradition of producing Steel

OR

b) Norway.lol

Pretty sure Outokumpu supplied the steel. It was manufactured by a Bristol firm but that's because no one in Sheffield wanted the job or were capable of doing it.

Edited by ruusowl

2 minutes ago, Gildowl said:

I live a few miles out of Leeds and had cause to work in Manchester a few times. In my opinion Sheffield is the best out of the three.

I work in Leeds and the city centre experience is far better than Sheffield, Manchester is better than both IMO, hence the relocation of many businesses there

I came to this thread late so have not really got the overall gist of what was being argued, but...as an older poster my take on my city is that in the centre, we seemed to tread water for many years whilst all the other major cities were having expensive redevelopment. We now seem to be catching up but to put a football analogy on it we are now at the top of the Championship pushing for promotion. However, the same can't be said for the rest of the city which in many areas is far worse now than before. Areas like the Wicker, which was once a busy thriving offshoot of the market area and a gateway to another thriving area along Attercliffe Common. These are now almost deserted because of traffic and parking restrictions that have made it very difficult for pedestrians to access and the destruction of shops and communities in the Attercliffe area which have rendered it a nothing area, populated by a few small businesses, a couple of retail parks and latterly some university buildings. The council had a monster chance to regenerate that area when it had the opportunity to build a stadium for the world student games. Wednesday or United could have been playing there today as Man City and West ham are in their new homes. But they chose the only option that would ensure it's future failure. The result is that the Wicker and the adjacent area up Spital hill towards Burngreave  and then onwards down to Pitsmoor, Firvale, and on to Firth Park have now become one long ethnic ghetto which does little for the integration of minorities into the city and doesn't encourage development in those areas. Areas like Heeley Bottom, once a thriving out of town shopping area are now little more than a slum clearance project. Further up into Woodseats where the once vibrant shopping area is now devoid of any community feeling at all and has become a slow moving traffic jam. Firth Park centre has likewise lost it's vibrancy and looks squalid. Anyone who has taken the Supertram to the match cannot have failed to notice the drab exteriors of the few remaining shops and abandoned pubs along Middlewood Road as far as Hillsborough centre, then once again, a previous vibrant shopping centre is now an row of charity shops and estate agents. I could go on.

The SCC has indeed made efforts over the past two decades to improve the city centre but has virtually ignored the outlying districts.

A simple decision to rigourously enforce litter and graffiti laws would make a huge difference to our city and make it a much nicer place to live. Enforcing laws to make owners and landlords look after empty buildings and keep them in good condition would vastly improve the environment. There are derelict buildings that to my knowledge have been like that for twenty years. The bottom of Broad Street springs to mind. Make the owners either refurbish the buildings or clear the site and put compulsory purchase orders on the land. Make extra efforts to keep street furniture and railings to a minimum and maintain them properly. Send teams out to destroy the weeds that seem to line every major road into the city. These things aren't rocket science, they just need the will to do it.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, room0035 said:

????????

Yes explain

Well if we drain the roads directly into the rivers it is very hard to calculate how much water will go in not to mention all the crap from the roads, oil, fuel etc. So they normally divert it and that way the rivers won't be overwhelmed immediately giving them the chance to take away the water without bursting their banks

2 minutes ago, Hougoumont said:

I came to this thread late so have not really got the overall gist of what was being argued, but...as an older poster my take on my city is that in the centre, we seemed to tread water for many years whilst all the other major cities were having expensive redevelopment. We now seem to be catching up but to put a football analogy on it we are now at the top of the Championship pushing for promotion. However, the same can't be said for the rest of the city which in many areas is far worse now than before. Areas like the Wicker, which was once a busy thriving offshoot of the market area and a gateway to another thriving area along Attercliffe Common.

These are now almost deserted because of traffic and parking restrictions that have made it very difficult for pedestrians to access and the destruction of shops and communities in the Attercliffe area which have rendered it a nothing area, populated by a few small businesses, a couple of retail parks and latterly some university buildings.

First of all The Wicker is the safest it's felt in absolute years. There are new apartment blocks down there housing professionals living and working in the city, and the whole area is being regenerated around it including some of the buildings I've posted above in this thread

Your other points all seem to be yearning for the years of bustling streets full of shops. 

The internet's killed that off. The high streets are dead.

If shops were up and down The Wicker and Attercliffe people (possibly including yourself) would never go in them because you can shop online

Councils aren't responsible for the death of high street shopping experiences mate. No council is. The internet's wiped it out.

Traffic and parking restrictions are there (rightly) to stop the city centre being choked with traffic which causes gridlock and creates massive environmental damage

Critiquing the city is one thing and valid, but only if it's not done simply from a point of 'shops used to be great, let's bring them back' type of unrealistic approach. 

It's 2020. The high street is DEAD

Owlstalk Shop