In other news, Sheffield In Lockdown

I think this thread has highlighted a massive outdated perception of our city.

Maybe the council needs to find a way of getting the message out more about all these new developments happening in Sheffield so that more people can understand it

Owlstalk Shop

18 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

I wouldn't normally post non SWFC stuff in here but thought people might be reassured a little during lockdown to see that Sheffield City Centre is doing ok, looking clean and beautiful, and ready for us when we go back to it...

Stay safe everyone x

God I miss it, No matter where I am in the world I always refer to it as home :sad:

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

First of all The Wicker is the safest it's felt in absolute years. There are new apartment blocks down there housing professionals living and working in the city, and the whole area is being regenerated around it including some of the buildings I've posted above in this thread

Your other points all seem to be yearning for the years of bustling streets full of shops. 

The internet's killed that off. The high streets are dead.

If shops were up and down The Wicker and Attercliffe people (possibly including yourself) would never go in them because you can shop online

Councils aren't responsible for the death of high street shopping experiences mate. No council is. The internet's wiped it out.

Traffic and parking restrictions are there (rightly) to stop the city centre being choked with traffic which causes gridlock and creates massive environmental damage

Critiquing the city is one thing and valid, but only if it's not done simply from a point of 'shops used to be great, let's bring them back' type of unrealistic approach. 

It's 2020. The high street is DEAD

It's not just the fact that shops have disapeared though, it's what has been left in their place. Be honest, lots of areas in the city look squalid and run down. We should adopt the broken window principle to restore a bit of pride in our city.

4 hours ago, room0035 said:

There is a complete lack of any greenery though. They have replaced all the parks, trees and grass with concrete.

We portray ourselves as a green city but have no green spaces other than the peace gardens. You look at concrete city's like Leeds and Birmingham that actually have more green space than we do.

The other big worry for Sheffield is take the bars, restaurants and fast food joints out of the equation and the city centre offers nothing to get people back into the city. I believe a complete rethink is needed on their anti car policy and there anti tree policy.

Sheffield is the fourth greenest city in England. It also has more trees per person than any other city in Europe.

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/gallery/2017/jan/05/green-space-uk-largest-cities-mapped

Guest The Horse
2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

The City Centre won't BE retail apart from the retail quarter 

People need to really let go of this idea that the city centre should be shopping when the high street in every country is dying.

People shop online.

City Centres will be for living in moving forward.

Living in apartments, with streets like Fargate for bars, restaurants, cafe's

Forget shops/retailers. That's not what city centres are for anymore. It's not the 1970's

Bingo.

I copied this from what I posted on Sheff forum (apologies) ages back but it still rings true.

People can carry on the comparisons to Leeds and Manchester (who themselves want to be Mini-Londons) but it's pointless playing catch-up in that race.

We've lost. Expending energy to mimic those cities is a waste of energy.

No, we need to look forward and build on the resources and talent we already have.

Traditional retail is dying and what remains will carry on at Meadowhall.

So I say accept that, develop the east end for traditional and warehouse retailing with Meadowhall anchoring that and attracting visitors from all over the region.

As for the centre, people still want to be social and get out.

This is where we look at the resources on our doorstep.

Sheffield has real talent in the art and independent scene. I feel it a lot more here than in those other two cities. 

So, make the city centre a hub for indy bars, restaurants, cafés, shops and our incredible music scene.

Celebrate our indigenous talent and make it affordable for them to trade there and showcase their talents.

Continue to develop green spaces like we have been doing.

It's an old town/new town idea, which we kind of are already. We just don't want to accept it. But we should. East end & Meadowhall as the 'New Town' for whatever future retail will be and the city centre as the 'Old Town' for social and leisure.

As I said at the start, this isn't just a one step ahead but two.

Instead of playing catch-up with Leeds and Manchester let's not play their game and start planning for what happens when traditional retail really does die off.

We can be pioneers here and get ahead of the game when the time comes where Leeds and Manchester are fighting over the last bones.

Instead, we will have planned well in advance and used our own people and talent to do it.

35 minutes ago, owler66 said:

My wife isn't from Sheffield when her family and friends visit they think Sheffield is great,you'll find it's moaning Sheffielders that slag it off.

But if you talk to anyone in any town or city you’ll find that (on the whole) they do the exact same thing and slate the place they’re from

It’s not just us Sheffielders although I gotta say Sheffield folk really do love a good old moan

lol

Owlstalk Shop

4 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

But if you talk to anyone in any town or city you’ll find that (on the whole) they do the exact same thing and slate the place they’re from

It’s not just us Sheffielders although I gotta say Sheffield folk really do love a good old moan

lol

You got me. :tango:

But I do love Sheffield and all it has the scenery, the local pubs, the atmosphere, the people and of course the best team in the world (nearly) 

I just do not the city centre.

Give in 20 years and the city centre will be at Meadowhall anyway definitely if HS2 ever happens. lol

22 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

They should put some steps leading down to the river with some sort of decking, clean the river up and the walls, get some ducks and swans.  Would look a treat.  

Till the river rises up to the top

lol

Owlstalk Shop

I grew up in the 80’s and early 90’s in Sheffield City Centre. I moved to London (and Sydney for a bit). 

I came back two years ago after 25 years. Sheffield’s a much better place than the one I left (in my opinion). My South African wife has loved the move too.

Its got many plus points which have been covered, and it’s being developed largely in a positive manner. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Bedford Owl said:

I grew up in the 80’s and early 90’s in Sheffield City Centre. I moved to London (and Sydney for a bit). 

I came back two years ago after 25 years. Sheffield’s a much better place than the one I left (in my opinion). My South African wife has loved the move too.

Its got many plus points which have been covered, and it’s being developed largely in a positive manner. 

WOW that's good to hear.  I always remember Sheffield back in the 70s and 80s as been thriving and very busy.  In the 90's it started to going rapidly downhill as many other city centres have.   

Hope it can attract people back to the centre but fear its too late.  

2 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

WOW that's good to hear.  I always remember Sheffield back in the 70s and 80s as been thriving and very busy.  In the 90's it started to going rapidly downhill as many other city centres have.   

Hope it can attract people back to the centre but fear its too late.  

People will live in the city centre moving forward

Owlstalk Shop