What a season! 92/93 Your Memories

A great watch.

My over riding memory was going through the start of the season with some good performances but struggling to get the wins. Felt like it just wasn't clicking.

I went to the States for three months after Christmas and found if difficult to find out the results. Couldn't believe it when I saw we were 4th and Warhurst had somehow become our striker! Unbelievable times. Back in time to see the semi final win at Wembley, Chris Waddle, thank you!

What do you remember from the season? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, parkfieldowl14 said:

Chris Waddle's free kick against the porcine scrubbers my overriding memory of the 1992/93 season plus the two cup finals.:tango:

Barry Davies' commentary to this match still gives me chills.

"Chris Waddle, is he gonna have a crack? OH HE DOES AND HE SCORES!"

"Bright! And in the end it was the easiest goal you could've wished for!"

"And the man coming on is the man Manchester United wanted, and who England wanted, and Sheffield Wednesday want. David Hirst."

Loved Davies.

• Like 1

Guest Garryswfcowl72

Blackburn away in semi was my favourite ever away game & semi v blunts the greatest football day of my life 

That was a brilliant season one of my favourite seasons ever, even though we never won any silverware. The football at times was the most thrilling and exciting I've ever seen us play during my lifetime. When the likes of Sheridan and Waddle were on it, we looked top class and near unstoppable, their passing and creativity was beautiful to watch. The League Cup Semi Final first leg and the FA Cup Semi Final, are among the most exciting, memorable and brilliant performances I've ever seen us play. There was also shaky times when we struggled defensively for numerous reasons, we also suffered numerous injuries it seemed and yet we got to two Finals and played some of the most exciting football of the season. The early 90s were a brilliant time to watch Wednesday and football in general.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, sheriwozgod said:

WHAT A SEASON......................then came Tricky Trevs transfer dealings summer 93 , begining of the end.

Walker was a brilliant signing. The best central defender I’ve seen at Wednesday and probably everyone else on here. Sinton at the time was seen as a brilliant signing, but it just didn’t work out. It was more the outgoings which affected us.

Edited by sexpistol

The season had so many great moments, but for me the one memory that stands out is Chris Woods monumental howler at the very end of the last game of that season. I still cannot fathom to this day, how a supposed top class goal keeper ( not in my eyes he wasn’t) could not save a straightforward header which was straight at him. Yes Bright didn’t jump with Linighan but it was a routine save any day of the week.

We deserved to win something that season, but sadly didn’t.

13 minutes ago, sexpistol said:

The season had so many great moments, but for me the one memory that stands out is Chris Woods monumental howler at the very end of the last game of that season. I still cannot fathom to this day, how a supposed top class goal keeper ( not in my eyes he wasn’t) could not save a straightforward header which was straight at him. Yes Bright didn’t jump with Linighan but it was a routine save any day of the week.

We deserved to win something that season, but sadly didn’t.

Don't know if it were a weakness that some of the better sides took advantage of around that time but re-watching highlights of that time, although we played some brilliant football at times, we did look vulnerable defensively especially with headers. Not sure if it were our goalies fault; an issue with our defensive set up, being too attacking and open or age or injuries? That said, I did prefer Pressman back in those days. Despite our defensive lapses, it was still a brilliant and exciting season and the football we played was a joy to watch.

51 minutes ago, sexpistol said:

Walker was a brilliant signing. The best central defender I’ve seen at Wednesday and probably everyone else on here. Sinton at the time was seen as a brilliant signing, but it just didn’t work out. It was more the outgoings which affected us.

Apologies ..........might be getting mixed up with the season after

That video is brilliant, loved the bit in Germany when they're on the coach having a sing along & flinging playing cards at each other.

Propa team bonding, you see players get off the coaches these days with noses in their iPhones & massive earphones on.

Probably not said a word to each other for the entire trip.

Id much rather be having a sing along & flinging playing cards at people!

Screenshot 2020-04-08 at 17.12.29.png

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Wrightyowl said:

That video is brilliant, loved the bit in Germany when they're on the coach having a sing along & flinging playing cards at each other.

Propa team bonding, you see players get off the coaches these days with noses in their iPhones & massive earphones on.

Probably not said a word to each other for the entire trip.

Id much rather be having a sing along & flinging playing cards at people!

Screenshot 2020-04-08 at 17.12.29.png

Is the full vid still on Youtube? I can’t seem to find it, could you post a link please?

9 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

At the time at the end of the season you thought losing the 2 cup finals was just a blip and we would carry on being a top 6 side and battling it out for major honours. 

Said to a mate when we was on the way home after the fa Cup final

'we will back next season' 

If anyone had told me 7 years later we'd be relegated and not been in the Premier league for 20 years, I'd have laughed in their face