What a season! 92/93 Your Memories

1 hour ago, WelshOwl74 said:

Said to a mate when we was on the way home after the fa Cup final

'we will back next season' 

If anyone had told me 7 years later we'd be relegated and not been in the Premier league for 20 years, I'd have laughed in their face 

Exactly, it couldn't have gone more backwards without really heading forwards again! Bitter sweet video for sure.

As I have always said, we shouldn’t play actual football at hillsborough any more and instead get a big screen up on the pitch and show highlights of these glory days instead. I would much rather we watched 90 minutes of ‘ David Johnson and Nigel Jemson - flick ons 91/92’ than the cack served up by the current team. That way , I can always maintain that wonderful advantage over anyone under 25 by constantly rattling on about a golden era where we won a total of one league cup. 

• Haha 1

There are so many great memories of that season some that will live long in the memory but unfortunately for me brights miss in the final and linaghans goal come to mind more often and still haunt me. I’ve never been so heartbroken as the moment arsenal scored and it still hurts and unfortunately always will 

14 minutes ago, Kernow_Blu said:

I preferred 1991. When United were in the Premier league and we were in the championship. We had a better team than them.

We won promotion and the league Cup. 

That's a season to remember. 

Correction.Premier League was 1992/93 onwards.1991/92 season was the last season of the Football League Div 1 Top Flight.:tango:

8 hours ago, Kernow_Blu said:

I preferred 1991. When United were in the Premier league and we were in the championship. We had a better team than them.

We won promotion and the league Cup. 

That's a season to remember. 

Surely they were both seasons to remember as well as the season in-between when we finished 3rd in the last season of the old first division.

10 hours ago, mcmigo said:

A cheat. 

We were better with viv Anderson and Peter shirtliff who were sucking toffees the season before . 

cheat?

Apart from the time he went off “injured” with about 5 mins to go (when we were well up in the game) only for us to see him flying down Penistone Rd when he would have normally been in the shower, I can’t remember anything that would see him labelled that? 

what makes you say that? Just interested.

Edited by TheMagicOfWaddle
Typo

21 hours ago, sexpistol said:

The season had so many great moments, but for me the one memory that stands out is Chris Woods monumental howler at the very end of the last game of that season. I still cannot fathom to this day, how a supposed top class goal keeper ( not in my eyes he wasn’t) could not save a straightforward header which was straight at him. Yes Bright didn’t jump with Linighan but it was a routine save any day of the week.

We deserved to win something that season, but sadly didn’t.

This is where I take a different view to most on here. Yes, Woods should definitely saved the header. But Bright allowed Linighan a free header and this after missing an absolute sitter just after we'd equalised. Yet who gets castigated for us losing? Woods. If Bright had scored then I'm sure we'd have won the cup in normal time and we'd never have seen Woods mistake. 

This isn't me starting a Woods love in as he did drop some howlers (unfortunately in high profile games), but trying to bring some balance and fairness to the debate.

I still can't get my head around Paul Warhurst's transformation. He'd never been a striker yet watching this again proves how absolutely deadly he was. Unbelievable finishing and confidence. Almost played up front for England I recall! Then, out of nowhere, it all stopped and he went back to being a defender for the rest of his career. Most queer. 

I was 9 years old. It was a magical time but I remember being absolutely heartbroken after both cup finals......all three of them!! 

I could never understand why Chris Woods was Wednesday's number 1, never mind England's. He always worried me.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Danish said:

I was 9 years old. It was a magical time but I remember being absolutely heartbroken after both cup finals......all three of them!! 

I could never understand why Chris Woods was Wednesday's number 1, never mind England's. He always worried me.

A few people have reservations about Chris Woods time with us.

He did ok I thought until he spilled at Wembley that is

Owlstalk Shop