Serious Question: What would the reaction be if a current SWFC player came out?

5 minutes ago, Fuzzy logics said:

I find it incredulous that people actually give a shiit about someone else's sexuality, gender, race etc. 

My problem is with people who discriminate, and that especially includes those who espouse equality then support positive discrimination.

Just be.

The fact that some people do still negatively discriminate people for their sexuality, gender, race etc. and that people can't just be is the problem.

It shouldn't be downplayed, homophobia is still rife in football.

Guest Bulgaria
1 minute ago, markowl said:

Yes.

I was the very effeminate one....

I rest my case then.

Thanks.

1 hour ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Answer me this then dumbass.. 10% of the population are gay give or take. There are roughly 25 players per team and 44 teams in the top 2 divisions. That’s 1100 players... if the footballer population was atypical.. that’s 110 gay footballers play either Premier League or Championship football.

Now let’s assume that they’re all in stable relationships.. it would be pretty difficult for nobody to notice that any of those 110 people have boyfriends, and the press would treat it as something to be sensationalised so we’d hear about it. But reality is, gay men on average are more promiscuous, and id imagine that for celebrities in general whether gay or straight, the number of sexual partners is higher than average just because opportunity is there given they’re more athletic/wealthy on average and find it easier to attract people. And if you’re a gay footballer having casual sex.. you’re not telling me that once it’s over, the other party wouldn’t think ‘hang on, I can make some cash out of this by selling my story’. Not everyone would do that of course, but enough for there to be at least a few cases. 

So the only logical conclusion is that either we have 110 footballers suppressing their sexuality and refraining from acting on it, which in this day and age seems unlikely, or that the number of gays is significantly less than 110. If there are 10 gay footballers maybe they’re all just keeping it quiet but that’s only 1% of the population which is a mere fraction of the number in the general population.

The obvious thing is that growing up there’s likely some sort of self selection going on whereby straight people are more likely to play football at a high level. Maybe that reason is that gay people don’t feel comfortable in the macho environment and therefore don’t progress in the game to professional level as often as they otherwise would. Who knows, but there’s something going on because otherwise the numbers don’t stack up. There can’t possibly be 110 gay PL and Championship footballers and nobody know about a single one of them.

None of this is controversial.. it’s obvious to anyone with a triple digit IQ who spends more than 2 mins thinking about it.

I'm glad you argued this so well. The post that said you were talking 5h1t was clearly just after likes.

Guest Bulgaria
1 minute ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

You said all the men who were gay were effeminate but you can't know that as you can't quantify how many masculine men were gay as well.

All the gay men I worked with were very effeminate.

Why is that hard to fathom?

3 minutes ago, Minton said:

Things have definitely improved. Whether they are still improving is debatable, particularly in the last few years. Racism and homophobia in particular are definitely on the rise in general. Whether that is due to people feeling they can be more open with their privately held prejudice or because there has been an apathy due to people thinking that it has been job done is another debate. But assuming it will be gone in 20 years is not a realistic presumption unfortunately.

Not assuming, hazarding a guess. But I do share your concerns about whether we are in another transionary phase.  

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Bulgaria said:

In my line of work in London years ago we had many homosexual men working for us and they were all very effeminate.

Am I being Homophobic saying that?

It shows unconscious bias certainly. You're equating being effeminate with being gay. The people you knew were gay were effeminate, but I would guarantee that there were a lot of 'straight acting' blokes who were gay too.

That comes from the media though and is one of my huge bugbears with the industry I work in. Anyone who is gay is portrayed as a raving queen or a hyper butch man-hater, rather than just being a regular, everyday man or woman. Grinds my f*cking gears.

Guest Bulgaria
Just now, markowl said:

What case?

You're saying that every gay man you worked with was very effeminate and you expect us to believe that.

:duntmatter:

Why wouldn't you?

I didn't say all gay men, just the ones I worked with.

1 hour ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Your lack of counter points confirms you’ve lost the argument and your low IQ

Not quite. Much like the chap years ago who held your crown. Some people are just beyond help. 

Otherwise, by the same token, Jon Beswetherik turned out to be the next Roberto Carlos. 

1 minute ago, Bulgaria said:

Why wouldn't you?

I know.

You knew the sexuality of every man you worked with.

As you say, what's unbelievable about that.

• Haha 1

Guest Bulgaria
1 minute ago, Minton said:

, but I would guarantee that there were a lot of 'straight acting' blokes who were gay too.

Maybe.

Thats not my argument though.

3 minutes ago, Bulgaria said:

Why wouldn't you?

Save your breath mate. It's the age we live in. If you notice a black man's skin is black, you're racist, if you acknowledge men and women are different, you're sexist. The same thing is happening here. It's the snowflake generation.

Guest Bulgaria
1 minute ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

You can't possibly know that , there could be some men hiding their sexuality.  I knew a gay bloke who was hard as nails and worked in a scrapyard.  Wasn't in the least bit effeminate. 

I can see your point.

Of course I know that!!!

Guest Bulgaria
5 minutes ago, markowl said:

And you asked them all what their sexuality was?

Not at all, they told me.

Anyway. 

Nearly kick off.....