Where is the owner?

15 minutes ago, Grandad said:

Dave Allen took us from 15th in League One to 10th in Championship. Spent nothing

Milan Mandaric took us from 15th in League One to 9th in Championship. Cost us about £30m

Chansiri has taken us from 9th in Championship to 12th in Championship. Cost us £150m, a stadium and with a points deduction incoming

It's not about money. It's about the person spending it.

While your point is valid, we need to change the person spending the money. Can't see that happening

But if you're going to be selective with peak league positions during their tenure, you could say that Chansiri took us to 4th in the Championship! 

Dave Allen took us to the second lowest finishing position in our history until he got lucky with the appointment of Sturrock who got us back up. 

2 minutes ago, HarrowbyOwl said:

He runs a small import business Chapter 2TWO. They supply branded SWFC goods for the shop. Key rings, caps and the like

Thanks, so instead of calling himself "International Importer and Merchandiser" or similar on his LinkedIn profile, he calls himself Assistant to Chairman of SWFC. Yep, sounds exactly like the type of guy that DC would be trading with.

lol

10 minutes ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

A certain amount of sympathy to the guy entering the Lions den. He was shaken by the hand in order to be grabbed by the throat a very dangerous time when there are gangsters on the periphery of the game. Lots of (A few) good people were around at the time but were shunned.  

I think the writing was on the wall for Chansiri the day he took over Nev - and nobody thought to gift him a bottle of Hendos

Why don’t the Chansiri out gang get together and do something about it ?  There’s enough of the fan base now that want him gone , get ur voices heard and make it happen ?   He threw towel in when a couple of super fans at the fans forum kicked off so he won’t put up much of a stand against an angry owlstalk mob will he 

21 minutes ago, Grandad said:

Dave Allen took us from 15th in League One to 10th in Championship. Spent nothing

Milan Mandaric took us from 15th in League One to 9th in Championship. Cost us about £30m

Chansiri has taken us from 9th in Championship to 12th in Championship. Cost us £150m, a stadium and with a points deduction incoming

It's not about money. It's about the person spending it.

While your point is valid, we need to change the person spending the money. Can't see that happening

I seem to recall one chairman walking out on us and leaving us with nobody at the helm and as a result we ended up in the courts pleading for more time to save us from going bust. Why did he walk out if we were 10th in the Championship and he hadn't spent a penny?

Milan was the one that saved us from that but admitted himself that he could not maintain our progress without significant investment. 

Chansiri chucked money at it and it very nearly worked but when it didn't work he should have looked to recoup some of the investment after year 2 and refreshed that way. Our best players in those first couple of seasons were the likes of Westwood, Loovens, Lee, Bannan, Hooper and Forestieri. The money spent on them was not excessive in terms of what they produced at that time but we should have cashed in when they had market value which is what I thought would have been the plan based on the length of their contracts. The money spent on Rhodes was ill-advised and a major part of the problem given the size of the transfer fee and the wages. He was a player we didn't need and seemingly wasn't the managers choice given that he didn't play him regularly. 

12 minutes ago, ChinaOwl said:

Thanks, so instead of calling himself "International Importer and Merchandiser" or similar on his LinkedIn profile, he calls himself Assistant to Chairman of SWFC. Yep, sounds exactly like the type of guy that DC would be trading with.

lol

There’s no doubting that we’re a well run club! It’s a game for these people - albeit an increasingly expensive game

2 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

I seem to recall one chairman walking out on us and leaving us with nobody at the helm and as a result we ended up in the courts pleading for more time to save us from going bust. Why did he walk out if we were 10th in the Championship and he hadn't spent a penny?

Dave Allen left us a full 3 years before we ended up pleading for our lives with HMRC in the High Court

Im not defending him - he was a dreadful Chairman. But if you set aside the legal action - he was nowhere near as bad as this one has been fiscally

15 minutes ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

A certain amount of sympathy to the guy entering the Lions den. He was shaken by the hand in order to be grabbed by the throat a very dangerous time when there are gangsters on the periphery of the game. Lots of (A few) good people were around at the time but were shunned.  

Think about the thousands of small business professionals up and down the country when they embark on a new venture. It doesn't matter whether it is a hot dog stall, kebab shop, clothing warehouse or whatever, some basic rules apply. For example, it will be highly recommended that you start with a business plan. Indeed, most financial institutions will not touch you unless you have.

Among all of the forecasts, profit and loss predictions etc., a key part of the plan will be a SWOT analysis. Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats. I have never been a football chairman but I reckon that I could formulate a SWOT analysis for the role. To me, the most obvious threat would be the vultures and leeches that lay in waiting ready to grasp any opportunity to tear into unprepared suckers.

At the very outset, setting up transfer committees sent shivers down my spine. It was obvious to me that the more people involved in transfer activity, the higher the risk of exploitation became. Exponentially so in fact. From my perspective, it immediately showed a lack of planning and ignorance of risk. A more traditional method would have worked far better. Appoint a strong manager and let him identify the transfer targets. The manager alone knows the type of player needed and whether they fit within his philosophy. You know, the thing that Bruce brought to the club during his short tenure and what Wilder does down at the lane. Why the feck did DC feel the need to reinvent the wheel? Perhaps it's because the people that advised him to do it were the very people that wanted to take advantage of it.

Hence that start of the mess that has now become the transfer policy. Money wasted on players that are not good enough, not fit enough or just not motivated enough to play for the club. All of the time blaming P & S or parachute payments for things a proper strategy could have gone some way to avoiding.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Grandad said:

Dave Allen left us a full 3 years before we ended up pleading for our lives with HMRC in the High Court

Im not defending him - he was a dreadful Chairman. But if you set aside the legal action - he was nowhere near as bad as this one has been fiscally

Yep ,  horrendous individual and shouldn’t have gone into Football  , but a fantastic businessman 

6 minutes ago, Grandad said:

So why did he walk then?

who did he leave in charge?

Whose fault was it that we ended up pleading for our lives? 

2 minutes ago, ChinaOwl said:

Think about the thousands of small business professionals up and down the country when they embark on a new venture. It doesn't matter whether it is a hot dog stall, kebab shop, clothing warehouse or whatever, some basic rules apply. For example, it will be highly recommended that you start with a business plan. Indeed, most financial institutions will not touch you unless you have.

Among all of the forecasts, profit and loss predictions etc., a key part of the plan will be a SWOT analysis. Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats. I have never been a football chairman but I reckon that I could formulate a SWOT analysis for the role. To me, the most obvious threat would be the vultures and leeches that lay in waiting ready to grasp any opportunity to tear into unprepared suckers.

At the very outset, setting up transfer committees sent shivers down my spine. It was obvious to me that the more people involved in transfer activity, the higher the risk of exploitation became. Exponentially so in fact. From my perspective, it immediately showed a lack of planning and ignorance of risk. A more traditional method would have worked far better. Appoint a strong manager and let him identify the transfer targets. The manager alone knows the type of player needed and whether they fit within his philosophy. You know, the thing that Bruce brought to the club during his short tenure and what Wilder does down at the lane. Why the feck did DC feel the need to reinvent the wheel? Perhaps it's because the people that advised him to do it were the very people that wanted to take advantage of it.

Hence that start of the mess that has now become the transfer policy. Money wasted on players that are not good enough, not fit enough or just not motivated enough to play for the club. All of the time blaming P & S or parachute payments for things a proper strategy could have gone some way to avoiding.

Good post. But for me the warning signs were there long before our outrageous transfer policies.

The signs of a business thats going to struggle are when good people who have worked in the organisation for years, even in very difficult circumstances, start walking away from the company they love and take great pride in working for. The club lost loads of long term staff members in the first 3 years - people who loved the club. 

3 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

So why did he walk then?

who did he leave in charge?

Whose fault was it that we ended up pleading for our lives? 

Looks like youve got a happy afternoon of googling (Im not doing it for you :-) )

Hope that night out hasnt left you with a hangover lol 

Just now, Grandad said:

Good post. But for me the warning signs were there long before our outrageous transfer policies.

The signs of a business thats going to struggle are when good people who have worked in the organisation for years, even in very difficult circumstances, start walking away from the company they love and take great pride in working for. The club lost loads of long term staff members in the first 3 years - people who loved the club. 

The transfer policies are a result of the very issue you raise. Chansiri had a golden opportunity. Mandaric for all his faults was a fantastic football strategist. Chansiri also had Aldridge and Wilkinson. He couldn't have asked for a much better base to build on. Why he thought it necessary to rip the whole foundations apart and rebuild at that stage is well beyond me. He should have used his increased financial resources to build on it then introduce evolutionary change after getting a better of understanding of the opportunities and threats within the game.

4 minutes ago, ChinaOwl said:

The transfer policies are a result of the very issue you raise. Chansiri had a golden opportunity. Mandaric for all his faults was a fantastic football strategist. Chansiri also had Aldridge and Wilkinson. He couldn't have asked for a much better base to build on. Why he thought it necessary to rip the whole foundations apart and rebuild at that stage is well beyond me. He should have used his increased financial resources to build on it then introduce evolutionary change after getting a better of understanding of the opportunities and threats within the game.

Assuming Aldridge and Wilkinson wanted to assist him ?? 

1 minute ago, Royal_D said:

Assuming Aldridge and Wilkinson wanted to assist him ?? 

Why would they have not wanted to?

As far as I am aware, Aldridge was still contracted to the club during the first year and Wilkinson has shown nothing else but the desire to help out as and when he could.