Who were our last three players to score for us in the league direct from a free kick?

10 hours ago, Emerson Thome said:

3? I can give you the last 16....

2018 - Barry Bannan vs Stoke

2018 - Fernando Forestieri vs Preston

2017 - Fernando Forestieri vs Norwich

2016 - Lewis McGugan vs Shrewsbury

2015 - Lewis McGugan vs Blackpool

2015 - Lewis McGugan vs Derby

2014 - Stevie May vs Reading (deflected)

2014 - Chris Maguire vs Millwall (deflected)

2014 - Chris Maguire vs Leeds (deflected)

2013 - Connor Wickham vs Watford

2013 - Connor Wickham vs Huddersfield

2013 - Rhys McCabe vs Rotherham

2013 - Miguel Llera vs Millwall

2013 - Danny Pugh vs Brighton

2012 - Keith Treacy vs Brentford

2012 - Miguel Llera vs Huddersfield

Hopefully Wickham can party like its 2013 if we win a freekick tomorrow.

Excellent that Mr Thome! I salute you (like McGugan saluted the kop after one of his screamers!)

I loved watching Lewis McGugan play for us. What a waste of talent that was! Apparently that was another player that fell out with the manager (Carlos), but he did score something like 9 goals in 21 starts, including 3 goals in 5 starts for Carlos. Did we ever find out what that little spat was about? I know there were lots of rumours and some very funny ones on here, but did we ever hear what caused that rift between Carlos and McGugan? 

11 hours ago, Emerson Thome said:

3? I can give you the last 16....

2018 - Barry Bannan vs Stoke

2018 - Fernando Forestieri vs Preston

2017 - Fernando Forestieri vs Norwich

2016 - Lewis McGugan vs Shrewsbury

2015 - Lewis McGugan vs Blackpool

2015 - Lewis McGugan vs Derby

2014 - Stevie May vs Reading (deflected)

2014 - Chris Maguire vs Millwall (deflected)

2014 - Chris Maguire vs Leeds (deflected)

2013 - Connor Wickham vs Watford

2013 - Connor Wickham vs Huddersfield

2013 - Rhys McCabe vs Rotherham

2013 - Miguel Llera vs Millwall

2013 - Danny Pugh vs Brighton

2012 - Keith Treacy vs Brentford

2012 - Miguel Llera vs Huddersfield

Hopefully Wickham can party like its 2013 if we win a freekick tomorrow.

16 in 8 years. Wow

26 minutes ago, Ante's Bubbly said:

I loved watching Lewis McGugan play for us. What a waste of talent that was! Apparently that was another player that fell out with the manager (Carlos), but he did score something like 9 goals in 21 starts, including 3 goals in 5 starts for Carlos. Did we ever find out what that little spat was about? I know there were lots of rumours and some very funny ones on here, but did we ever hear what caused that rift between Carlos and McGugan? 

Still only 31 but hasn't played a game for anybody since 2017. What a waste indeed.

26 minutes ago, Ante's Bubbly said:

No idea. Hes not playing a great deal now apparently

3 minutes ago, billyblack said:

No idea. Hes not playing a great deal now apparently

Including this season, so far we have only scored three direct free kicks in the last four years, yet we scored 13 direct free kicks in the five years before that! McGugan got three of those (and Connor Wickham 2!), but his demise was such a shame. I thought at the time that Carlos was unnecessarily hard on McGugan who did things that none of the players brought in under Carlos could do. I thought McGugan should have been much better managed and was hung out to dry by Carlos when players that Carlos did actually bring in, like Lopez and Matias, were nowhere near as effective or hard working. Ah well, maybe we will have another midfield wonder player in the not too distant future. 

3 minutes ago, Ante's Bubbly said:

Including this season, so far we have only scored three direct free kicks in the last four years, yet we scored 13 direct free kicks in the five years before that! McGugan got three of those (and Connor Wickham 2!), but his demise was such a shame. I thought at the time that Carlos was unnecessarily hard on McGugan who did things that none of the players brought in under Carlos could do. I thought McGugan should have been much better managed and was hung out to dry by Carlos when players that Carlos did actually bring in, like Lopez and Matias, were nowhere near as effective or hard working. Ah well, maybe we will have another midfield wonder player in the not too distant future. 

Lopez was effective and hard working..are you getting muddled up with another player?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, A12owl said:

Good idea. It might get taken into the dungeons of OT as neither have current connections to the club.

Good luck.

What's your theory?

I heard a rumour that McGugan showed up Carlos's wonder player Matias, by beating him endlessly in training on one leg, blindfolded, with Nuhiu on his back and refused to say he was sorry, but some of that may have got lost in the translation.

Just now, Costello 77 said:

Lopez was effective and hard working..are you getting muddled up with another player?

Sorry I was only messing, he was hard working and effective at stopping play and tidying up at the back, so ok as long as he did not get too far down the pitch, but I remember him missing a couple of absolute sitters and famously left the long shot to McGugan who had a much harder shot after the goalie had got further back, having to turn and lob while judging the distance so it went in under the bar. You have to have different types of players in a team and they complemented each other very well. Wonder what Lopez is doing now? I could watch this all day!

Lopez went back to Spain to go out on loan to a second tier club on loan then got sold to another second tier club before playing in Australia, then returning to a Spanish club that had just won promotion from the 4th tier, so he could have carried on doing a job for us if we had wanted him maybe?

27 minutes ago, Ante's Bubbly said:

Sorry I was only messing, he was hard working and effective at stopping play and tidying up at the back, so ok as long as he did not get too far down the pitch, but I remember him missing a couple of absolute sitters and famously left the long shot to McGugan who had a much harder shot after the goalie had got further back, having to turn and lob while judging the distance so it went in under the bar. You have to have different types of players in a team and they complemented each other very well. Wonder what Lopez is doing now? I could watch this all day!

Does the ball deflect off the defender right in front of him and loop up or not? I really can't tell and it bothers me every time I watch it.

4 hours ago, billyblack said:

16 in 8 years. Wow

It's worse than that - the list goes back to 2010, it's just that we didn't score any freekicks in 2010 or 2011.

A few other slightly odd/unusual things about the list... (other than the fact we also seem capable of scoring freekicks in the middle of a decade):

Two of McGugan's 3 goals direct from freekicks were actually crosses that evaded everyone and went in at the backpost - I guess there is a knack to curling these crosses in on target.

Treacy's free kick goal was quite clever - it was from wide of the touchline but instead of crossing he fired it into the near post and caught the keeper out.

Also you could arguably add another goal to the list - Llera vs Hull in 2013 from a corner (can you class a corner as a free kick?). It was recorded as an own goal by the league, but the corner was definitely on target and curling wickedly under the bar. The keeper gets a hand on it, but only really gets control of the ball after it has gone in. Then someone, Reda Johnson from memory, rushes in and boots the goalie in the head for good measure, injury to insult.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Emerson Thome said:

It's worse than that - the list goes back to 2010, it's just that we didn't score any freekicks in 2010 or 2011.

A few other slightly odd/unusual things about the list... (other than the fact we also seem capable of scoring freekicks in the middle of a decade):

Two of McGugan's 3 goals direct from freekicks were actually crosses that evaded everyone and went in at the backpost - I guess there is a knack to curling these crosses in on target.

Treacy's free kick goal was quite clever - it was from wide of the touchline but instead of crossing he fired it into the near post and caught the keeper out.

Also you could arguably add another goal to the list - Llera vs Hull in 2013 from a corner (can you class a corner as a free kick?). It was recorded as an own goal by the league, but the corner was definitely on target and curling wickedly under the bar. The keeper gets a hand on it, but only really gets control of the ball after it has gone in. Then someone, Reda Johnson from memory, rushes in and boots the goalie in the head for good measure, injury to insult.

I can't even remember that Llera one. Only we would have a massive CB taking corners!

Seem to remember Pugh against Brighton being a very tight angle as well.