Who were our last three players to score for us in the league direct from a free kick?

On 07/02/2020 at 05:42, Jon Newsome said:

Another area we are seriously poor 

Be interesting to see what the total is for other clubs at our level  ....I can think of a few that we have conceded but it's not like they a flying in with any great regularity .

23 hours ago, Gnarwolf said:

Does the ball deflect off the defender right in front of him and loop up or not? I really can't tell and it bothers me every time I watch it.

I see what you mean, but I dont think he got there in time and McGugans foot is angled for a scooped lob, not a blasted shot, although if you look at the goalies lips very closely, he mutters something similar!

lol  

19 hours ago, Emerson Thome said:

It's worse than that - the list goes back to 2010, it's just that we didn't score any freekicks in 2010 or 2011.

A few other slightly odd/unusual things about the list... (other than the fact we also seem capable of scoring freekicks in the middle of a decade):

Two of McGugan's 3 goals direct from freekicks were actually crosses that evaded everyone and went in at the backpost - I guess there is a knack to curling these crosses in on target.

Treacy's free kick goal was quite clever - it was from wide of the touchline but instead of crossing he fired it into the near post and caught the keeper out.

Also you could arguably add another goal to the list - Llera vs Hull in 2013 from a corner (can you class a corner as a free kick?). It was recorded as an own goal by the league, but the corner was definitely on target and curling wickedly under the bar. The keeper gets a hand on it, but only really gets control of the ball after it has gone in. Then someone, Reda Johnson from memory, rushes in and boots the goalie in the head for good measure, injury to insult.

Reeeeeeeedaaaaahhhh!

Yep Treacey's was a very sneaky one, an excellent goal. I'd forgotten that.

I reckon a corner should count. I once scored two in the same half while at Poly. The wind was in my favour and I had tried to curl them in so they came down at the back post! 

11 hours ago, Ante's Bubbly said:

Reeeeeeeedaaaaahhhh!

Yep Treacey's was a very sneaky one, an excellent goal. I'd forgotten that.

I reckon a corner should count. I once scored two in the same half while at Poly. The wind was in my favour and I had tried to curl them in so they came down at the back post! 

To be honest, the few times I've had to take a corner in an 11-a-side match I just hope that I can kick the ball far enough towards the general area of the goalmouth to not humiliate myself.