Manager of the Decade

1 hour ago, pussface said:

Yes I mean it isn’t as if other teams at the time didn’t already prove the folly of this strategy, or indeed others achieving promotion without the need to sell the roof whilst it’s raining.. 

exactly - but our chairman wanted it in 3 years so bank rolled it.

thst was his decision not the managers.

1 hour ago, ka58 said:

Has it actually been confirmed that Carlos and his back room staff contributed nothing to the recruiting strategy?

Either way this isn’t the comeback you were hoping for.

1 hour ago, ka58 said:

You’re also conveniently avoiding point 2, that he left us in a much worse state than when he took over. Everything else is noise.

58 minutes ago, pussface said:

You’re also conveniently avoiding point 2, that he left us in a much worse state than when he took over. Everything else is noise.

The noise is the over shouting of the fact that we had our best two seasons in 20 years - finishing 6th and then 4th with a 43% win record overall - that is all being ignored on the basis of largely 3 performances against hull, Huddersfield and Sheffield United.

now - why and by what measure were we in a worse position when luhukay was appointed than when Carvalhal took over from gray?

1 hour ago, ka58 said:

now - why and by what measure were we in a worse position when luhukay was appointed than when Carvalhal took over from gray?

Are you serious? When Luhukay took over we were only 8 points outside the relegation zone on the back of 15 points from the previous 16 games. We had an enormous injury list (rumours persist that Carvalhal played his part in that too) forcing us to play loads of youths who had little or no first team experience and the coffers had been all but emptied by his outrageous profligacy for which we are still paying the price.

Is that anything remotely like what Gray left behind.

Really?

31 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

Are you serious? When Luhukay took over we were only 8 points outside the relegation zone on the back of 15 points from the previous 16 games. We had an enormous injury list (rumours persist that Carvalhal played his part in that too) forcing us to play loads of youths who had little or no first team experience and the coffers had been all but emptied by his outrageous profligacy for which we are still paying the price.

Is that anything remotely like what Gray left behind.

Really?

I wasn’t criticising gray - I was asking why Carlos left us worse off.

we weren’t doing well in the league at the time granted - jos wasn’t the reason for any improvement mind - he was beyond useless.

jos largely chose the experiment with youth also - Westwood / Hutchinson weren’t injured for example.

The chairman’s policy on moving players on also played its part.

17 hours ago, ka58 said:

I think your views are a bit clouded by a weird hate of a manager who achieved consecutive top 6 finishes.

I think your views are more than a bit clouded by a charlatan, and smoke n' mirrors salesman who had well more than a dozen jobs, none but silly wednesday lasting any length of time. 

but, hey!, whose to say YOU don't know better than all those professional football clubs.

he took you, get over it. money all gone, NOTHING won, he can't beg a job in england.

24 minutes ago, dorian gray said:

I think your views are more than a bit clouded by a charlatan, and smoke n' mirrors salesman who had well more than a dozen jobs, none but silly wednesday lasting any length of time. 

but, hey!, whose to say YOU don't know better than all those professional football clubs.

he took you, get over it. money all gone, NOTHING won, he can't beg a job in england.

I’m just stating the fact that he achieved consecutive play off finishes in the two full seasons he was at the club with a 43% win ratio.

you choose to ignore that - it’s up to you.

6 minutes ago, ka58 said:

I’m just stating the fact that he achieved consecutive play off finishes in the two full seasons he was at the club with a 43% win ratio.

The money we wasted, meant that play offs were the minimum expected, not some sort of amazing achievement.

We are still paying for that frauds failings.

18 clubs weren't wrong. Unluckily for us, he dropped on an inexperienced Chairman with full pockets.

Charlatan.

4 minutes ago, Mr Farrell said:

The money we wasted, meant that play offs were the minimum expected, not some sort of amazing achievement.

We are still paying for that frauds failings.

18 clubs weren't wrong. Unluckily for us, he dropped on an inexperienced Chairman with full pockets.

Charlatan.

Given the level of investment into the first team, we should’ve been challenging for the top 2, especially that second season where we completely bottled it in the playoffs against Huddersfield.

We have had numerous managers over the years who I’m convinced would’ve done better than Carlos had they been blessed with the level of investment he was given.

For me going to Wembley with the sole intent of defending was unforgivable, as was doing pretty much the same thing at Huddersfield 12 months later when they had there reserve goal keeper in goal and we’d just completed the double over them in the regular season. The final straw however was the complete and utter humiliation we suffered at the hands of the pigs at Hillsborough the following year.

We had a side blessed with attacking talent and far too often we set out not to lose matches rather than taking games by the scruff of the neck, we played slow, boring predictable football after that first season and we were going backwards.

There’s a reason why Carlos isn’t kept on long at clubs and with hindsight his last match should’ve been our Wembley no show.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

Given the level of investment into the first team, we should’ve been challenging for the top 2, especially that second season where we completely bottled it in the playoffs against Huddersfield.

We have had numerous managers over the years who I’m convinced would’ve done better than Carlos had they been blessed with the level of investment he was given.

For me going to Wembley with the sole intent of defending was unforgivable, as was doing pretty much the same thing at Huddersfield 12 months later when they had there reserve goal keeper in goal and we’d just completed the double over them in the regular season. The final straw however was the complete and utter humiliation we suffered at the hands of the pigs at Hillsborough the following year.

We had a side blessed with attacking talent and far too often we set out not to lose matches rather than taking games by the scruff of the neck, we played slow, boring predictable football after that first season and we were going backwards.

There’s a reason why Carlos isn’t kept on long at clubs and with hindsight his last match should’ve been our Wembley no show.

Great post.

42 minutes ago, ka58 said:

you consistently churn out the same tripe he will in his next interview (were you on the panel btw?), in the forlorn hope we won't see that time and again you fail to explain his continuous shortcomings I am putting to you.

so you see a (salvaged from oblivion) football club, bank balance spent empty, with aged cripples, unfit, only capable of one method of (by now sussed, and failing) play facing serious, even possibly unparalleled sanctions from procurements during the time of his management as being a good price to pay for a league cup quarter final defeat, and 2 play off's shambles?

in all honesty I can not only see why he had you fooled at the start, but for now. and ever more too, sorry.

A few quotes from the fraud below. He used shiite like this to mask his incompetence. He's an 18 club idiot not a great Manager.

"We put all the meat on the barbecue! We put all the meat on the fire to try and win.”

"When one Swan falls, another Swan will fly"

"I will look to the lobsters and sea bass, but if not we must buy sardines. But sometimes the sardines can win games."

"You buy good tomatoes, good potatoes, & good rice but if don't have the fish you eat more potato."

"We tried to put on different music in the second half,” 

“We put on a little bit of rock and we opened them up. We took risks and we tried to win. With that kind of rock and roll we could score goals.”

"You can't have an orchestra that is just 11 people playing piano or all playing the drums."

2 hours ago, TrickyTrev said:

i disagree.

1 hour ago, dorian gray said:

you consistently churn out the same tripe he will in his next interview (were you on the panel btw?), in the forlorn hope we won't see that time and again you fail to explain his continuous shortcomings I am putting to you.

so you see a (salvaged from oblivion) football club, bank balance spent empty, with aged cripples, unfit, only capable of one method of (by now sussed, and failing) play facing serious, even possibly unparalleled sanctions from procurements during the time of his management as being a good price to pay for a league cup quarter final defeat, and 2 play off's shambles?

in all honesty I can not only see why he had you fooled at the start, but for now. and ever more too, sorry.

I disagree.

i thought he did well to get us in the play offs at all in the first season.

and we improved in the second season.

there were plenty of other clubs spending like us who also would state their minimum expectation was to go up. Not everyone can.

37 minutes ago, ka58 said:

I disagree.

i thought he did well to get us in the play offs at all in the first season.

and we improved in the second season.

there were plenty of other clubs spending like us who also would state their minimum expectation was to go up. Not everyone can.

I know you disagree, that's the point, he had you fooled, and still does

we didn't improve the second season, but as yet it hadn't got toxic... the reason we qualified was because (as I've already stated in a previous post to you) the other teams in the play offs were sh*t.

the plenty of other clubs spending like us, when are they up before the FL?

BUT YOU'VE NOT YET BEGUN TO ANSWER THE STRING OF QUESTIONS  I HAVE PUT TO YOU. 

re;- wednesday's best chance for decades pissedup against the wall, well worth it for out of the league cup at the quarters, and two shambolic play off's according to you, explain why?

injury list a mile long, fitness at appalling levels, explain why?

why the two 'cataclysmic' failures at play off time?, explain why?

why not attack 'uddersfield in 180 minutes plus?, explain why?

why not address the obvious player shortcomings we had at the end of year one?, and instead buying more of the same,

explain why?

why think just the one tactical approach was good enough to beat opposition season in, season out?, explain why?

why didn't he last more than 5 minutes in any previous job?, explain why?

why aren't sides queueing up to sign your tactical genius?, explain why?

one thing you don't need to explain is why he came out with the bullsh*t highlighted in Mr. Farrell's post, it was to continually fool small minded, easily fooled people who'd think the 'snake oil salesman' was offering something different.

may I recommend you read 'the emperor's new clothes', when digested don't be too hard on yourself, there are others no smarter than you about.

3 minutes ago, dorian gray said:

I know you disagree, that's the point, he had you fooled, and still does

we didn't improve the second season, but as yet it hadn't got toxic... the reason we qualified was because (as I've already stated in a previous post to you) the other teams in the play offs were sh*t.

the plenty of other clubs spending like us, when are they up before the FL?

BUT YOU'VE NOT YET BEGUN TO ANSWER THE STRING OF QUESTIONS  I HAVE PUT TO YOU. 

re;- wednesday's best chance for decades pissedup against the wall, well worth it for out of the league cup at the quarters, and two shambolic play off's according to you, explain why?

injury list a mile long, fitness at appalling levels, explain why?

why the two 'cataclysmic' failures at play off time?, explain why?

why not attack 'uddersfield in 180 minutes plus?, explain why?

why not address the obvious player shortcomings we had at the end of year one?, and instead buying more of the same,

explain why?

why think just the one tactical approach was good enough to beat opposition season in, season out?, explain why?

why didn't he last more than 5 minutes in any previous job?, explain why?

why aren't sides queueing up to sign your tactical genius?, explain why?

one thing you don't need to explain is why he came out with the bullsh*t highlighted in Mr. Farrell's post, it was to continually fool small minded, easily fooled people who'd think the 'snake oil salesman' was offering something different.

may I recommend you read 'the emperor's new clothes', when digested don't be too hard on yourself, there are others no smarter than you about.

The string of questions are really just your opinions aren’t they - or asking me to justify an opinion that I have never made - like him being a tactical genius or that other clubs are queuing up to sign him. 

for example - why do you think we got beat by hull?  you obviously blame Carvalhal cos you don’t like him. I think it was because hull were a better and more experienced side than us at the time - and it showed on the day.

I’m sorry it’s really important to you that I agree with you - but I don’t.

1 hour ago, ka58 said:

The string of questions are really just your opinions aren’t they - or asking me to justify an opinion that I have never made - like him being a tactical genius or that other clubs are queuing up to sign him. 

for example - why do you think we got beat by hull?  you obviously blame Carvalhal cos you don’t like him. I think it was because hull were a better and more experienced side than us at the time - and it showed on the day.

I’m sorry it’s really important to you that I agree with you - but I don’t.

I really don't want you to agree with me, as I wouldn't want anyone as openly and often wrong as you agreeing with me.

what I want you to do, and by now have asked a number of times, is explain why your champion is so?

there'll be many who don't like carvalhal, but for every wednesday fan who thinks he was a joke, a shambles, and left the club badly damaged, they'll be a pig fan who loved him, and still does.

'ull beat us 'cos they presented what bruce (and many others by now) knew derailed arsenal's complex passing game, two tight banks, 2x4. or 4+5.

in our case dragging ourselves forward so slowly two banks of 5 as their attack had time to fall back whilst we multi passed it inside our own half, dragging ourselves towards the halfway line like next week would do.

with 3 minutes to go westwood almost laterally rolled it out to the l/b, he played it inside to the l/h/s c/b, who passed to the r/h/s c/b, who in turn played it square to the r/b, all the time this was going on we'd moved 5 yards forwards, so when the whole moved is reversed it's nor surprising we make another 5 yards headway, eventually we crossed the halfway line in around half the time that had been remaining in the game.

i'm shouting 'GET THE ****ING THING FORWARD' but it wouldn't matter as dumplinghead had no who could head a ball in the attack, he'd bought none despite nigh on refitting the attack and attacking m/f. 

now what I couldn't understand from this master tactician of yours is why (when 1-0 down in a shitorbust game) with no height in our attack didn't he throw one c/b forward into attack with 15 minutes left, and the second with 5 minutes left?

but you think 'ull won because they were better and more experienced than us, if the better team wins then why have the play off's? brighton had easily done enough to suggest they were the best side entering the play off's so according to you should have gone up, or maybe it's play off experience that counts in your world, if so how come the pigs went around 7 before winning one?

you're in danger of talking as much shyte as yer mate did.

3 hours ago, dorian gray said:

I really don't want you to agree with me, as I wouldn't want anyone as openly and often wrong as you agreeing with me.

what I want you to do, and by now have asked a number of times, is explain why your champion is so?

there'll be many who don't like carvalhal, but for every wednesday fan who thinks he was a joke, a shambles, and left the club badly damaged, they'll be a pig fan who loved him, and still does.

'ull beat us 'cos they presented what bruce (and many others by now) knew derailed arsenal's complex passing game, two tight banks, 2x4. or 4+5.

in our case dragging ourselves forward so slowly two banks of 5 as their attack had time to fall back whilst we multi passed it inside our own half, dragging ourselves towards the halfway line like next week would do.

with 3 minutes to go westwood almost laterally rolled it out to the l/b, he played it inside to the l/h/s c/b, who passed to the r/h/s c/b, who in turn played it square to the r/b, all the time this was going on we'd moved 5 yards forwards, so when the whole moved is reversed it's nor surprising we make another 5 yards headway, eventually we crossed the halfway line in around half the time that had been remaining in the game.

i'm shouting 'GET THE ****ING THING FORWARD' but it wouldn't matter as dumplinghead had no who could head a ball in the attack, he'd bought none despite nigh on refitting the attack and attacking m/f. 

now what I couldn't understand from this master tactician of yours is why (when 1-0 down in a shitorbust game) with no height in our attack didn't he throw one c/b forward into attack with 15 minutes left, and the second with 5 minutes left?

but you think 'ull won because they were better and more experienced than us, if the better team wins then why have the play off's? brighton had easily done enough to suggest they were the best side entering the play off's so according to you should have gone up, or maybe it's play off experience that counts in your world, if so how come the pigs went around 7 before winning one?

you're in danger of talking as much shyte as yer mate did.

Again - your just throwing loads of opinions around and then asking me to justify them for you.

He’s not my champion or my hero or a tactical genius - they’re all your words.

ive already explained that our league positions over two seasons were the best in the last 20 years -.

ive also explained that the win percentage during his tenure was up there with our most successful managers.

you think that doesn’t matter because we should have done better. Fine we disagree.