Manager of the Decade

4 hours ago, Mr Farrell said:

Is this the worst Manager of the decade ?

If so worst by a distance is old "Clueless, boyhood team, if your leg is falling off just run it off, youll be fine, I won't be here anyway when it actually falls off, Carlos'.

Second worst is 'Disastrous that skirt looks nice, Dave'.

Third worst is 'I told you I was retired, can I get back to my greenhouse now, Jos'.

We've paid off some right shiite.

Just answer the OPs question FFS.

Got to be Carlos for the brilliant football we played under him, although we don't know what Stuart Gray could have achieved with some money.  However, by his own admission, Gray was a coach, not a manager.

Bruce was doing a good job before he walked out on us, so we'll never know what he might have achieved.

Monk's doing OK.  6th is better than we expected when Bruce left.

Gray 

Signed players we still rely massively on today ,didn't have a pot to wee wee in and while it was dull to watch we never looked like going down 

Carlos was a fraud 

Talked a good game but spent millions on cr@p and never played them 

Bottled opportunities after opportunities

Still battling against the mess he created and for what ?

A jolly day out in Wembley 

Bruce wasn't here long enough 

Jones did a quality job in league one to get us promoted but things went t!ts up once promoted ,signing his mates 

Jos  started well ,recovering a disaster season from clueless,making joao and nuhiu look like shearer and Sutton .

Went wrong when he dropped fans favourites and tried something different .still had a better record against pur neighbours than king clueless

Bullen 

Awful,Burton game anyone? ,he'd be gone for me ,what's he actually do?

Seems just like the  players mate 

Irvine 

Worse manager out of lot 

Yeovil 9 men 

Megson 

Got the crowd onside and beat the pigs 

But some results under him were disgraceful

Exeter ? 

Not convinced he'd have got us promoted like Jones did 

Gray best out of that lot for me 

On reflection its been a rather meh decade 

Better than 2000-2010 but nothing historic 

1 minute ago, WelshOwl74 said:

Gray 

Signed players we still rely massively on today ,didn't have a pot to wee wee in and while it was dull to watch we never looked like going down 

Carlos was a fraud 

Jones did a quality job in league one to get us promoted but things went t!ts up once promoted ,signing his mates 

Jos  started well ,recovering a disaster season from clueless,making joao and nuhiu look like shearer and Sutton .

Went wrong when he dropped fans favourites and tried something different .still had a better record against pur neighbours than king clueless

Bullen 

Irvine 

Worse manager out of lot 

Yeovil 9 men 

Megson 

Exeter ? 

Nailed it.

Carlos is definitely the greatest ever in Clapperworld though. Had a lovely song too.

7 hours ago, Mr Hooper said:

Of course it is! It's his fault for everything. Ignore the fact he got us to two play offs and nearly took us up. 

It's difficult to say, because deep down I don't believe he was involved in recruitment. However, according to both DC and Carlos, he was, so we must take it at face value. 

It's not just the finances. The club's recruitment during his era was shambolic from top to bottom.

If Carlos was responsible for our recruiting, I can't bring myself to celebrate his tenure here, even if it genuinely was the most exciting time to be a Wednesdayite over the past decade.

6 hours ago, bobness said:

It's difficult to say, because deep down I don't believe he was involved in recruitment. However, according to both DC and Carlos, he was, so we must take it at face value. 

It's not just the finances. The club's recruitment during his era was shambolic from top to bottom.

If Carlos was responsible for our recruiting, I can't bring myself to celebrate his tenure here, even if it genuinely was the most exciting time to be a Wednesdayite over the past decade.

We spent an absolute shit ton of money (which less than surprisingly it turns out we couldn't afford), almost all of it on attacking players, then slowly developed into a cautious, defensive team. I'm still struggling to come to terms with the 'logic' of that, especially when our attempt to attack our way to promotion came so close to success.

The shockwaves of the mess that squad slowly became are still being felt today and if the EFL ultimately punish us heavily for the recent 'adventures' of our chairman to paper over the enormous cracks, that haphazard and giddy recruitment 'strategy' (whoever was responsible for it) will be at the root of it. What a chance we threw away; especially in that utter scandal against Huddersfield when Carvalhal absolutely sold us out.

Edited by DJMortimer
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Holmowl said:

This’ll be popular...

The best manager we have employed all decade was Bruce.

Our results, our recruitment, our planning, our care of players....streets ahead. No surprise to me that his weak Newcastle squad is mid-table in the Prem. I’ve little doubt we would be a mid-table Prem club too by say 21/22 had Bruce stayed.

Agree with this. Shame he shafted us.

In terms of actually achieving something, it's either Jones or Carlos. A nod to Megson and Gray for the jobs they did.

Guest LondonOwl313
6 hours ago, WelshOwl74 said:

Gray 

Carlos was a fraud 

Bullen 

Irvine 

Worse manager out of lot 

Yeovil 9 men 

Megson 

Exeter ? 

You’re so biased.. Carlos finished 6th and 4th, far better than anyone else managed. And yes we spent more when he was here.. yet if you look at the numbers we spent in line with being a play off team it’s not like we spent the most in the league and had a right to expect a guaranteed promotion 

Also not clear that he even bought the players.. doubt he was even aware of most of them having never worked in England before. Of course he made some mistakes.. including the tactical shambles against Huddersfield. But it was definitely more good than bad. Would imagine that even with the Rhodes signing the convo would have been ‘Carlos, we want to sign Jordan Rhodes who’s scored the most goals in the league over the last 5 years.. do you want him?’ What kind of a manager is going to say no to that.. the finances are irrelevant as not the managers remit. Blame Chansiri who tbh probably hoped we’d be up well before now

As for Jos getting off to a good start, he won 1 out of the first 11 games. People on here are calling for Monk to go after 8 wins in his first 19 games. Weird bias to have. Who cares about our results vs Utd.. they’ve gone on to show themselves to be a much better side, fair play to them. In terms of the games against them, the best was the Bruce 0-0 as it was an equal game. The two 0-0 massacres under Jos were far worse than losing 4-2 at home to them while at least trying to win the game (and playing very poorly). Was embarrassing watching us line up with 7 defenders and can take no enjoyment from that 

No doubt you’ll shout anyone down who picks Carlos as a happy clapper but he got the best results so has to be him

Jones the only one to achieve.

Megson and Gray did some solid ground work.

Carlos gave us a good time but the party hangover is still being felt even now.

Bruce was building something special and if only we had him now... Monk is doing fine, hard to judge having not had a transfer window. Will be interesting to see how this season pans out. 

19 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

You’re so biased.. Carlos finished 6th and 4th, far better than anyone else managed. And yes we spent more when he was here.. yet if you look at the numbers we spent in line with being a play off team it’s not like we spent the most in the league and had a right to expect a guaranteed promotion 

Also not clear that he even bought the players.. doubt he was even aware of most of them having never worked in England before. Of course he made some mistakes.. including the tactical shambles against Huddersfield. But it was definitely more good than bad. Would imagine that even with the Rhodes signing the convo would have been ‘Carlos, we want to sign Jordan Rhodes who’s scored the most goals in the league over the last 5 years.. do you want him?’ What kind of a manager is going to say no to that.. the finances are irrelevant as not the managers remit. Blame Chansiri who tbh probably hoped we’d be up well before now

As for Jos getting off to a good start, he won 1 out of the first 11 games. People on here are calling for Monk to go after 8 wins in his first 19 games. Weird bias to have. Who cares about our results vs Utd.. they’ve gone on to show themselves to be a much better side, fair play to them. In terms of the games against them, the best was the Bruce 0-0 as it was an equal game. The two 0-0 massacres under Jos were far worse than losing 4-2 at home to them while at least trying to win the game (and playing very poorly). Was embarrassing watching us line up with 7 defenders and can take no enjoyment from that 

No doubt you’ll shout anyone down who picks Carlos as a happy clapper but he got the best results so has to be him

That's like asking CBeebies to create a movie about the life of John Wayne Gacy.

:dry:

• Haha 1

Guest LondonOwl313
9 minutes ago, ka58 said:

Sacking Carvalhal took us back 2 years.

in hindsight he should never have gone.

Think he wanted out to go to Swansea.. season 3 was always going to be bad after failing twice. Felt like it was the right time for him to go and I was very supportive until the Huddersfield game, and gave him the benefit of the doubt in season 3

Replacing him with someone completely inappropriate was the mistake though. Could have made the play offs last season if the appointment had been right after Carlos