Post Match Monk - Huddersfield

14 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Danny Cowley disagrees:

"Sheffield Wednesday were the significantly better team on the day."

I heard him say this but I’m genuinely curious to know what aspect of our play impressed him so I can reassess our prospects.

Dont get me wrong - well pleased with the win, but there was a period in the first half where we were as slow as molasses, couldn’t string two passes together and were  inviting pressure while up front Murphy and Reach were almost invisible.

Monk, though, has impressed me so far and I was delighted to see Winnall given a run out. Maybe 4:4:2 isn’t as prehistoric as some think - we quickly put the game to bed once he came on. 

15 hours ago, mcmigo said:

You need to get the zen mindset. Think about the journey not the destination. Just enjoy each game. We haven’t been promoted to the top flight for nearly 30 years. No point getting all tensed up and frustrated about it. 

Best post yet, if I'm seeing season on season progress and there's a plan in place on the pitch and recruitment wise I'm happy. We seem to have made good progress on both fronts since January. I think this side is capable of pushing inside the top 10 but will ultimately just lack what's needed unless we do more business in January. Wont get too up after a win or too down after a loss.

19 minutes ago, Rogerwyldesmullet said:

I heard him say this but I’m genuinely curious to know what aspect of our play impressed him so I can reassess our prospects.

Dont get me wrong - well pleased with the win, but there was a period in the first half where we were as slow as molasses, couldn’t string two passes together and were  inviting pressure while up front Murphy and Reach were almost invisible.

Monk, though, has impressed me so far and I was delighted to see Winnall given a run out. Maybe 4:4:2 isn’t as prehistoric as some think - we quickly put the game to bed once he came on. 

I don't think we were particularly impressive yesterday, but we were well-organised, disciplined, and had an effective gameplan.

Huddersfield had plenty of the ball, but not in areas where they could hurt us. For all their effort and running, they didn't create a single chance of note as far as I remember, whereas we probably should have added to our tally.

Over the 90 minutes, I think Cowley's assessment is a fair one.

14 hours ago, mcmigo said:

You can expect whatever you want.

As stated, we haven’t been promoted to the top flight since 1991. We had a net transfer spend in the summer of minus 7 million quid, and have finished midtable last two seasons with this squad.

we are nowhere near good enough to go up. And far too good to go down.

Bit hard to get promoted if you are already there 

Using that logic Arsenal couldn't expect to be promoted if they came down !