New Boss

Guest domSWFC

New Boss?   

558 members have voted

1. 1. Who's should be the next SWFC Manager?

• Chris Hughton
    • Dan Cowley
    • Paul Cook
    • Aitor Karanka
    • Gary Monk
    • David Moyes
    • Zola
    • Gary Rowwet
    • Neil Lennon
    • Alan Pardrew

Well it was Hughton but if that’s a no go GVB.  Know it’s unlikely but think he would fit perfectly and build something special here. Now you’re going to what my wif3 does and say “ No” and completely ruin my day arent you?

We just seem to be focused on or assuming existing or presently out of work EFL managers/coaches will be the ones hired. I am still open to a foreign coach being found. I realise CC faded after a bright start and JL was Sh*t from day 1 but there are others that have been brought in at other clubs that we never heard of and done really well. Lets not just settle for some dull journeyman. Lets get the coach scouts out there and see if we can find  a gem?

On 15/07/2019 at 19:52, 1993swfc said:

Choice number 1 - Hughton

Record at this level speaks for itself, 2 promotions out of 4 Championship seasons is excellent (even more so that the other 2 seasons ended up in the play offs and one of those was level on points with second). Also the fact he’s proven he can keep teams up as well, no relegation on his CV. 

Option number 2 - Nigel Pearson

Too young to know him playing for Wednesday so this is solely based on what he did at Leicester. He took over at Leicester after a similar situation to the one we find ourselves in, after the overspending of their owners in the Championship under Sven, he picked up bargains to win them the Championship, players like Vardy, Knockaert and Mahrez and then kept them up the following year and many of his signings went on to win them the Premier League. 

1. As good as we could realistically expect.

2. Utterly psychotic, no.

12 hours ago, deaks1984 said:

Couldn't see Bullen on the list.

I'd have voted for Hughton but don't think he'll come. I know Bullen has said he's not ready for it etc. But honestly think the way things have gone the last couple of seasons, that he'd have the backing of the of the senior players.

I think the likes of Westwood, Hutchinson etc. could control that dressing room, would run through brick walls for him and lead by example.

Also there's no question of loyalty at all, which I think may be top of the list for DC after Mrs. Doubtfire. 

Could backfire by not giving a proven manager what's left of the pre-season, but I'm sure Bullen could really do something special given the chance.

Love him to bits and he loves us, but he's not permanent management material.

He's a brilliant wing man though.

46 minutes ago, Plonk said:

Well it was Hughton but if that’s a no go GVB.  Know it’s unlikely but think he would fit perfectly and build something special here. Now you’re going to what my wif3 does and say “ No” and completely ruin my day arent you?

Yes........91eW0PzGHBL._UL1500_.thumb.jpg.81ebd64bfe30100558e387ce04e59ef0.jpg

57 minutes ago, Mishowl said:

Which boxes?

What if the boxes include 'managed a team to promotion,  or even 'managed for any length of time (say 100 games) to prove himself'? 

True, he hasn’t done either of those things, but then neither had Lampard or Gerrard. For me, the boxes he ticks........

He’s already in place Important given the timing and financial constraints.

He knows all the players, and presumably the style of play we’ve been working on all summer.

He knows exactly what’s needed, and is best placed to move for any targets whenever that’s possible.

It will be his interest, and the interests of the club, to maintain a steady course from which we can assess the situation

Edited by gurujuan

4 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

True, he hasn’t done either of those things, but then neither had Lampard or Gerrard. For me, the boxes he ticks........

He’s already in place Important given the timing and financial constraints.

He knows all the players, and presumably the style of play we’ve been working on all summer.

He knows exactly what’s needed, and is best placed to move for any targets whenever that’s possible.

It will be his interest, and the interests of the club, to maintain a steady course from which we can assess the situation

Or he could simply tell the new manager these things who can take it all on board.

Appoint the best man for the job ASAP. 

3 minutes ago, deano said:

Or he could simply tell the new manager these things who can take it all on board.

Appoint the best man for the job ASAP. 

If that’s all it takes, why go to the expense of bringing in a new man, only so Bully can tell him what to do?

Edited by gurujuan

2 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

If that’s all it takes, why go to the expense of bringing in a new man, only so Bully can tell him what to do?

So why have other staff, why have an assistant or 14 people called Steve? 

1 minute ago, deano said:

So why have other staff, why have an assistant or 14 people called Steve? 

Yeah, I was just being flippant All I’m saying, in the absence of a stand out candidate, Bullen appears to be a safe bet to buy us time

I think we’d be daft to not make Hughton a big offer. From the names currently out of work, he’s the stand out.

He knows the league inside out, he’s had success quite recently and he’ll be well aware of our players qualities. He seems an intelligent level headed guy, so I can’t see him doing anything other than trying to build on what we already have. He’d maintain our recent defensive solidity I’m sure.

Couple of question marks of course - is he the type to get the best out of our attacking players? And at 60, would he really want to commit to uprooting and moving north?

None of the other out of work domestic names look appealing.

As for a young up and comer, I quite like the look of Stendel at Barnsley. From the Klopp school of intense high pressing attacking football. Already lives locally and would probably fancy the challenge.

Domenico Tedesco

Most definitely is from the Klopp school and in his first season and a half did amazingly well at Schalke until the wheels fell off after they lost
a lot of the better players but certainly improved what they had when he first arrived.

Recruited by the man who recruited Klopp and Tuchel to Mainz as well.

If what I have been told is right about a couple of interviews taking place in Germany whilst we are there this might not be a bad bet @33/1

4 hours ago, wattagit said:

Domenico Tedesco

Most definitely is from the Klopp school and in his first season and a half did amazingly well at Schalke until the wheels fell off after they lost
a lot of the better players but certainly improved what they had when he first arrived.

Recruited by the man who recruited Klopp and Tuchel to Mainz as well.

If what I have been told is right about a couple of interviews taking place in Germany whilst we are there this might not be a bad bet @33/1

Clutching at straws it’s not far from Holland to hamburgHamburg

I saw an article suggesting that Lee Bullen has put himself forward for the job. I don't know whether there is any truth in that at all.

If you are Lee Bullen right now the last thing you want to be is "The Manager" or "The Head Coach", and here's why.

You among all the backroom are probably the most trusted individual by DC. You have stood in the breach twice, the first time started fine but descended into absolute disaster, the second time was a wonderful success. 

Here you are standing in the breach for a third time and providing the continuity that the players and the club need. This is Lee's role and one that he is trusted to perform by DC. DC in return will support Lee and ensure that he remains around to provide that vital link.

If Lee becomes "The Manager" or "Head Coach" sooner or later DC will be faced with the prospect of firing his most trusted employee. It would be difficult to demote him back to his old position so he would have to be let go.

Staying in his current role Lee has a good job for the duration of DC's tenure at the club and a strong influence on the football side of the business. This benefits, him, DC, the players and ultimately us, the fans.