New Boss

Guest domSWFC

New Boss?   

558 members have voted

1. 1. Who's should be the next SWFC Manager?

• Chris Hughton
    • Dan Cowley
    • Paul Cook
    • Aitor Karanka
    • Gary Monk
    • David Moyes
    • Zola
    • Gary Rowwet
    • Neil Lennon
    • Alan Pardrew

Hughton took Brighton from relegation candidates to promotion in a few seasons, played 4-4-2 & had the 2nd best goal difference in the year they went up. Scored the joint most goals the season they didn’t go up as well.

Promoted twice with two different clubs

Every full season he’s had in this division he’s finished in the top 6.

Got Birmingham into the group stages of the Europa League when they were in the Championship 

He also has a very good premier league record (once he gets them there, not that we have to worry about that)

Not good enough :Chansiri:

• Like 1

Fact of the matter is that there are plenty of Managers out there and as long as we are out from under the embargo we should be seen as a fairly attractive proposition so shouldn't be short of interest 

Just hope it doesn't drag on 

I'd be happy with a few of those named Paul Cook or Hughton being the preferred but Holloway could be fun 

Never liked Rowett but if we go that way he'll get my support same as any other manager 

Paul Cook is the one that appeals to me the most out of all the realistic names. I've got a good feeling about him. His teams play decent stuff; he's been making a name for himself for a while, he seems like he's on the rise in and he's got a few titles/promotions in the lower leagues to his name. I think he would be a smart forward thinking interesting appointment.

Edited by The Night-Owl

Choice number 1 - Hughton

Record at this level speaks for itself, 2 promotions out of 4 Championship seasons is excellent (even more so that the other 2 seasons ended up in the play offs and one of those was level on points with second). Also the fact he’s proven he can keep teams up as well, no relegation on his CV. 

Option number 2 - Nigel Pearson

Too young to know him playing for Wednesday so this is solely based on what he did at Leicester. He took over at Leicester after a similar situation to the one we find ourselves in, after the overspending of their owners in the Championship under Sven, he picked up bargains to win them the Championship, players like Vardy, Knockaert and Mahrez and then kept them up the following year and many of his signings went on to win them the Premier League. 

13 minutes ago, EcclesallOwl said:

Hughton took Brighton from relegation candidates to promotion in a few seasons, played 4-4-2 & had the 2nd best goal difference in the year they went up. Scored the joint most goals the season they didn’t go up as well.

Promoted twice with two different clubs

Every full season he’s had in this division he’s finished in the top 6.

Got Birmingham into the group stages of the Europa League when they were in the Championship 

He also has a very good premier league record (once he gets them there, not that we have to worry about that)

Not good enough :Chansiri:

Thanks for that, I dident realise that 

On 15/07/2019 at 19:33, Not Jon Newsome said:

You also need to factor in the squad we have, you think we have the players to play the open expansive, fast tempo football of a Jokanovic?

I take your point as well thought out.. but fortune favours the brave, I’d rather give it a go than accept the balls on my chin. I believe the manager is the most important member of the team and I think to attack is the best form of defence, to sit back is giving up for me.. I’d rather give it all we can

On 15/07/2019 at 19:24, Bannofan said:

Incredibly depressing list.

Just give it Bullen with Whelan as player coach.

Can't think of any manager from the merry go round listed above which would make me think 'Yes! Here We Go!".

I wasn't that fussed about Bruce joining us, and not that bothered he's gone to be honest.

100% agree with this

10 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

Of that list has to be Hughton. Would suit the squad.

Karanka likewise would be great, and I'd like Paul Cook too but not sure the squad is his style right now.

From what I have seen Rowett, Monk and Cowley in adition to Hughton could play system we play.

Others are different and play different style.

On 15/07/2019 at 17:33, adelphi1867 said:

For me the top 3 should be, in order,.

Houghton

Monk

Wagner.

Below that, Cook.

Wagner has a 3year contract at Schalke

No way on earth he's coming here. 

Couldn't see Bullen on the list.

I'd have voted for Hughton but don't think he'll come. I know Bullen has said he's not ready for it etc. But honestly think the way things have gone the last couple of seasons, that he'd have the backing of the of the senior players.

I think the likes of Westwood, Hutchinson etc. could control that dressing room, would run through brick walls for him and lead by example.

Also there's no question of loyalty at all, which I think may be top of the list for DC after Mrs. Doubtfire. 

Could backfire by not giving a proven manager what's left of the pre-season, but I'm sure Bullen could really do something special given the chance.