Blast from the past - Danny Wilson

Guest Jack the Hat
21 hours ago, steelowl said:

for this reason we mustn't employ players as managers we remember with affection  it will almost always end  in tears 

Yeah imagine if we gave Hirsty the job and it went wrong. Would be terrible if our great memories of him were spoiled.

Guest Jack the Hat
6 hours ago, Blue and white said:

Sadly that's what he will be remembered for which is a real shame, it raises the point that club legends should never manage the club.

Disagree . I remember the didwell Wilson goal much more than the managerial stuff. What a player does on a pitch is what matters. Management is s poison chslace which always goes t1ts up.  Where is didwell by the way. And why is hi face so orange on the OP - looks like an umpa lumpa?

8 hours ago, Blue and white said:

Sadly that's what he will be remembered for which is a real shame, it raises the point that club legends should never manage the club.

I would have gone with this .. i fell out with Wilson for many a year after that shambolic showing in the premiership under him and how he threw Di Canio under the bus which, for me, was a major factor in our downfall and where we see ourselves now...

HOWEVER, after reading a few articles and hearing some stuff away from S6 and Owlstalk, i don't think Wilson was entirely to blame for this whole saga .. the man apparantly had his hands tied when it came to the Di Canio issue and it wasn't down to him why PDC  was hung out to dry and then jettisoned for peanuts ..

Things might have been different if we treated Di Canio like Manure treated Cantona ... similar issues with Carbone .. ffs

7 hours ago, Jack the Hat said:

Yeah imagine if we gave Hirsty the job and it went wrong. Would be terrible if our great memories of him were spoiled.

Think he's done that without managing the club lol

• Haha 1

Couple of stories about Wilson which for those too young to see him play might help you realise what kind of bloke he was.

Once saw him at a public bonfire in Chesterfield at which he leaned in to the fire to light his fag

Seond one is similar, Leicester away in our promotion season (4-2 win)...I’d got tickets for players friends and family area and access to the players longe after the game from a Leicester player....at the end of the game, I got up, stretched my legs and walked down to the players lounge. Wilson (who played 90 mins) was already in there halfway down a pint and fag

Brilliant player and his managerial reign shouldn’t detract from that 

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Hack-Abusi said:

I would have gone with this .. i fell out with Wilson for many a year after that shambolic showing in the premiership under him and how he threw Di Canio under the bus which, for me, was a major factor in our downfall and where we see ourselves now...

HOWEVER, after reading a few articles and hearing some stuff away from S6 and Owlstalk, i don't think Wilson was entirely to blame for this whole saga .. the man apparantly had his hands tied when it came to the Di Canio issue and it wasn't down to him why PDC  was hung out to dry and then jettisoned for peanuts ..

Things might have been different if we treated Di Canio like Manure treated Cantona ... similar issues with Carbone .. ffs

A thread about one of our greatest servants as a player turns into how badly di canio, the model citizen wherever he went, was treated. 

Ooooh the irony.

7 hours ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

If people like yourself want to wallow in negativity, then so be it. 

It's not negativity thou is it, he was the manager at a pivotal time in our history and was the manager who oversaw our unprecedented fall from grace, no one is saying he acted alone but when I hear the name Danny Wilson I don't remember the great player, I remember the poor manager.

Edited by Blue and white

3 hours ago, Blue and white said:

It's not negativity thou is it, he was the manager at a pivotal time in our history and was the manager who oversaw our unprecedented fall from grace, no one is saying he acted alone but when I hear the name Danny Wilson I don't remember the great player, I remember the poor manager.

You have totally missed the point of the thread and my subsequent comments. 

The thread was about a player. What he achieved as a player, pictures of him as a player. 

A great player at a great time for us, getting promoted , scoring a fantastic goal in a cup semi. 

Danny Wilson, the player.

3 hours ago, Blue and white said:

Same here, similar situation with Turner

Im glad Sheridan or Waddle never got the manager job here as they might have ended up the same 

• Thanks 1

Brilliant little player for us for a couple of seasons until his legs went.

Funny thing about his managerial career, he did so well in his first job at Barnsley playing a very distinctive style , not too dissimilar from how the blunts play at the moment , so when he got the Wednesday job i thought he would replicate this but with better players but all we ever saw from him was a rigid 4-4-2.