Blast from the past - Danny Wilson

54 minutes ago, TommyCraig said:

That goal. Roy of the rovers in real life. Them were the days. 

Smashing little player.  Good footballer. Good brain.

Another surprisingly overlooked on planet Clough. 

Just ten games and one goal at the City ground for them before being sent to Brighton in the same season he signed. Bizarre. Would have thought he'd have been right up Cloughs street. 

• Like 1

Wasn't there a famous pic of him "climbing" up above Mick Harford to head the ball?  Great little player, the glue that bound everything together and every bit the box to box midfielder.  Whether he was arriving late in the box or snapping at someone on the edge of our box, he had some very good qualities.

I think one of my favourite Wilson goals was the Villa one.

The ball came across and many would have leathered it. Took a swing. 

Wilson opened his body and side footed back across the goal.

Very intelligent footballer.

And a master roo at the clipped/dinked pass.

11 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

Danny Wilson

Danny-Wilson-Sheffield-Wednesday.jpg

Yes. There was the later management spell.

But this thread is to remember the good times.

Danny Wilson.  Top little player that.

for this reason we mustn't employ players as managers we remember with affection  it will almost always end  in tears 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Whitechapel Owl said:

WIlson.gif.9c06f407c5147cf234608d4174b324aa.gif

Strangely he could only do that stretching exercise when working with a female physio.

Very underrated player, him and Palmer what an engine that midfield had (needed I suppose to cover for Sheridan who really didn't need to run to work his magic).

1 minute ago, steelowl said:

for this reason we mustn't employ players as managers we remember with affection  it will almost always end  in tears 

I tend to agree but IF it works out, it really does give everyone a huge lift and sense of pride as witnessed at Newcastle in the 90's and currently at our neighbours.

13 minutes ago, steelowl said:

I separate. I have to.

It's why I will always love David Hirst. For some things might have soured. I don't let recent events cloud those wonderful memories.

I just remember the player. A joy to behold.

The past is a different place

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, OWL1969 said:

I tend to agree but IF it works out, it really does give everyone a huge lift and sense of pride as witnessed at Newcastle in the 90's and currently at our neighbours.

this is prob derailing the point of the OP which tbh i agree we must retain the contribution of our great players 

but replying to owl1969 it is a lovely thought but 

wilkinson left us for greener grass

Eustace was a disaster

francis had success but was rounded on at the end

wilson was a disaster

turner despite bringing in great players is now ridiculed

as for the blunts present love in  I'm certain they will turn on him  blimey he got slagged off for saturday and they are 3rd with a low budget 

let's just remember 'wilsonnnn !!! '

1 hour ago, steelowl said:

as for the blunts present love in  I'm certain they will turn on him  blimey he got slagged off for saturday and they are 3rd with a low budget 

Some were calling for his head after he lost his first four games.

Some didn't want him in the first place as it was just "Typical yooo-nited going for the cheyap option ageean"

Football fans are fickle. 

Back to Wilson. Rarely seemed to get injured either. 30 years old and we got plenty of service out of him. 

A balance we've struggled to find in recent years to sign experience and know how without the wear and tear of their careers catching up with them.

13 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

Danny Wilson could be described as 'experienced' when he joined Wednesday in the summer of 1990. The Wigan born midfield player had already had 7 clubs and got 459 games under his belt when Ron Atkinson  brought in to Hillsborough for £200,000. A not insignificant sum, especially for a 30 year old!

The Bigman had been hoping to bring in Gordon Strachan that summer to bolster the squad ,but the diminutive jock opted instead to go to Leeds and join Wilkinson. (Famously  Strachan  blagged the fact he was half blind in one eye by covering the same one when he had his eye test and merely covering it with a different hand to fool the medic.)

Wednesday turned to Wilson, a recent League Cup winner with Luton Town. Atkinson was keen to give Wednesdays midfield a bit more solidity and bite. Moving forward after relegation Atkinson decided that he wouldn't be playing with out and out wingers which he described in his own inimitable way as leaving the midfield 'a bit milky defensively'. So Dave Bennett of Coventry cup final fame and loanee Franz Carr were offed. 

It was over a year earlier that Strachan turned us down, just before the transfer deadline in March 1989 shortly after Big Ron arrived.  He'd sold Mark Proctor to raise the cash but Leeds persuaded Strachan to go there instead. We didn't get Wilson until the following summer after we sold Dalian Atkinson and brought in Wilson and Paul Williams.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Lord Snooty said:

Some were calling for his head after he lost his first four games.

Some didn't want him in the first place as it was just "Typical yooo-nited going for the cheyap option ageean"

Football fans are fickle. 

Back to Wilson. Rarely seemed to get injured either. 30 years old and we got plenty of service out of him. 

A balance we've struggled to find in recent years to sign experience and know how without the wear and tear of their careers catching up with them.

certainly his contribution then would no go amiss now