Lucas - Goal Machine

On 03/02/2019 at 09:23, meggoisgod said:

Proper handful, hopefully he now blossoms under Bruce, probably the long term replacement for fletcher

Don't disagree but I think Joao is better when he's not expected to be the player competing for high balls and clearances. He's better with a big man alongside him or possibly if we can find that ever elusive forward to play off him and get balls through a defence he could be great.

2 hours ago, DuttyTeabags said:

Maybe it's a hangover from Carlos days but not overly enamoured with left footers on right wing but Reach in fairness can put a ball in with right.

I prefer Reach LW too, and whilst I’m not one for shoe-horning I would want FF in most starting line-ups, and his best role by far is LW.

That said, I would like to see Reach and FF swap mid-match from time to time.

42 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

25 years old now.

Reaching the stage where all this 'potential' has to start being realised.

He'll get a fair crack under Bruce I'm sure. It's up to the boy to start producing constant performances. 

Im 56.

Do you think it might be on the verge of being too late for me?

1 hour ago, oldishowl said:

It will be interesting to see as we move forward what system Bruce goes with.

While we should have been leading easily on Saturday it was pretty obvious as the second half progressed that we needed Joao on the pitch. Up to then we had efficient but not really creative , chances mainly coming from their mistakes.

If you looked at the starting 11 then it didn’t contain sufficient goal threat , especially from midfield. No Lee or Wallace types with goals in them. Boyd is just a workhorse.

Central midfield both sat which meant nobody linking with the front two which is what FF needs in that position.

Bruce is very experienced and patient and I can see him sticking with 442 , staying solid and then using Joao as a super sub .

It won’t be pretty and not what I would do but Bruce is a very pragmatic manager 

Good points.

Hutch and Bannan rarely score. Only Reach does.

Our defender goals are very low.

FF rarely scores as a striker. Fletcher rarely scores partnering FF.

FF Fletcher Joao is a far bigger threat. Better still, a 442 with FF wide.

But there I suspect you and I differ.

2 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Good points.

Hutch and Bannan rarely score. Only Reach does.

Our defender goals are very low.

FF rarely scores as a striker. Fletcher rarely scores partnering FF.

FF Fletcher Joao is a far bigger threat. Better still, a 442 with FF wide.

But there I suspect you and I differ.

FF should have scored a hat trick and Fletcher missed a sitter, don’t think they missed because they were playing at the side of each other.

Yep we disagree only because 442 with FF on the left isn’t actually 442.  

He won’t be back helping Fox when we are defending. Nor should he have to spend half the game on the edge of our own box.

So it’s 433 really.

I don’t expect Bruce to persevere with FF up top in a 442 unless he scores goals. 

We still have the same problems we have always had with this squad since Carlos days.

Bannan and Hutch together limit your midfield attacking in a 442 

We need to get balance into the team. We have never had it.

I think the solution is pretty obvious.

If he wants to play 442 he needs to sell Bannan and FF in the summer and replace them with players that fit the system. 

If he wants to play 4231 or 433 then he needs pace and goal scorers in the front 3/4 players.

4 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

FF should have scored a hat trick and Fletcher missed a sitter, don’t think they missed because they were playing at the side of each other.

Yep we disagree only because 442 with FF on the left isn’t actually 442.  

He won’t be back helping Fox when we are defending. Nor should he have to spend half the game on the edge of our own box.

So it’s 433 really.

I don’t expect Bruce to persevere with FF up top in a 442 unless he scores goals. 

We still have the same problems we have always had with this squad since Carlos days.

Bannan and Hutch together limit your midfield attacking in a 442 

We need to get balance into the team. We have never had it.

I think the solution is pretty obvious.

If he wants to play 442 he needs to sell Bannan and FF in the summer and replace them with players that fit the system. 

If he wants to play 4231 or 433 then he needs pace and goal scorers in the front 3/4 players.

Oh god, you’ve bitten.

Here come the FF stats for the 8millionth time

• Haha 1

Has all the attributes, needs to add consistency. I said the same in the summer, though appreciate he has had injury problems.

Despite lack of game time, still our leading scorer and interested to see what Bruce does with him. His scoring record suggests he should be given an opportunity now fit.

Joao is definitely developing in this league. His goal on Saturday showed a lot of composure in the six yard box, but what was really great to see was how he took a step back from their goal leaving 2yards of space between him and the defender and giving Reach the angle for the cut back. Reach deffo did the hard yards but just that small check gave Joao the time to have a clear finish. In his earlier days he would probably have continued running with the defender and over run the pass from Reach. It reminded me of the way Hooper plays in the box to create a bit of room for himself. Great piece of football to watch. Hope we do see him more regularly, Saturday v Reading would be a good opportunity to try him with Fletcher and Aaron’s or FF.:biggrin:

On 03/02/2019 at 11:21, Great Big Galaa said:

Yes, there were other reasons why Jos was a disastrous appointment for us and the last thing I’ll do is stick up for him but rightly or wrongly he never had the opportunity to mould a side/squad in his choosing through recruitment.

Christ imagine the disaster if had been given that opportunity. Jos massively failed on. Work with what you’ve got. He alienated senior pros, and lost the fans. There’s no excuses for him he was a car crash of a manager I’m glad we never got him to sign a boat load of players based on his eye and mannagment 

On 03/02/2019 at 10:56, SallyCinnamon said:

Jos couldn’t really sign players in the summer.

He was a poor manager but circumstance wise he did have quite a rough ride. 

Tbh I’m glad he didn’t sign anyone. The man isn’t wired up reyt, god knows who he’d have lumbered us with