Jos Luhukay vs Carlos Carvalhal

Guest Hillsborough Mole
4 minutes ago, kouki said:

I've heard Swansea have an injury crisis at the moment... coincidence?

Do you think he was also training Swansea pre season?

Guest Jack the Hat
On ‎29‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 00:04, shandypants said:

Yes but he shouldn’t have given Carvalhal a contract last summer after playing a full season of over-cautious negative possession based grim 5h1t. 

I was gutted when he was given a new contract. The big question for me was whether DC realised his mistake in time for us to salvage the season. The answer was a big no. A blind man on a galloping horse could see what was going to happen. Can't believe so many didn't.

59 minutes ago, Hillsborough Mole said:

Theres no room for sentiment, courtesy or otherwise in football.

Take Middlesborough for example. In reasonable form, just beat us away from home, Pulis came available and they sacked Monk after that in order to recruit an experienced, quality manager thats improved them no end. Pulis has taken 40 points (with a +15 GD) and got them in the play offs - in the time its taken us to get 27 points - with a -3 GD

If we are only 13 points worse off than Boro, and comparing their squad availability against ours in that time, then I would say Jos has done a comparable, at least, job to Pullis.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, upperwinngardensowl said:

If we are only 13 points worse off than Boro, and comparing their squad availability against ours in that time, then I would say Jos has done a comparable, at least, job to Pullis.

My thoughts exactly. You can compare raw points gained if you like, but to ignore the wider context in which both managers were operating is to render them almost entirely meaningless. The fact that Luhukay has won only 13 points fewer than Pulis given the situations each inherited, is actually quite impressive.

On 29/04/2018 at 11:33, Plonk said:

People going on about JLs style of football, seem to have already forgotten the 5urgid displays of the last 18 months. Watched the second half of Swansea’s game yesterday, and the groans of their fans as the b@ll went sideways and backwards was noticeable. Didn’t start attacking until the last ten minutes. TBH it made me glad he’s gone and I’ve always defended him

This 100%!!!!

Under Carlos both last season and this some of the displays were awful, I got sick to the back teeth of watching Loovens and Lees passing the ball to each other while we took an age to get anywhere near the oppositions penalty area.

Off the top of my head I can think of Preston (a), Burton (a), Birmingham (a), Bolton (a), Bristol (a), Ipswich (a), Reading (a), Wolves (h) this season.

I haven't high-lighted these because they were bad performances but because our play was soooooooo boring and negative in them, Reading away probably being one of the worst games of football I have ever seen.

You can go back further, how about last season when we played Wigan on Sky, or the matches at Hillsborough where we got outplayed by Toy Town and Blackburn (2 sides that got relegated) and amazingly won them. Or how about the biggest games of the last 2 seasons, Wembley against Hull or the 2 legged semis against Huddersfield... negative yet again!!

All of them off the top of my head, all awful to watch.

No way is the football under Jos worse than it was under Carlos, especially as Jos hasn't had chance to play Hooper, Fletcher, Lee and Winnall and only recently been able to play Bannan and Forestieri.

On 4/28/2018 at 17:39, StudentOwl said:

Pelupessy, although anonymous today, has been consistently solid. For £400k, you can't ask for much more. That, coupled with how well we've played with largely our second string, coupled with how good the likes Bannan and Forestieri have been on their return, and how good Joao and Nuhiu have largely looked, tells me he's very good at the getting the best out of players and he's good at using resources wisely. 

Carlos had many pros, but one of his many cons was that he often struggled to do much of the above consistently... and certainly by the end he could barely do it at all cause everyone at the club had lost it mentally and physically. 

Jos is the man 

He's the Dutch Mick McCarthy!

On ‎30‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 12:14, Hillsborough Mole said:

Theres no room for sentiment, courtesy or otherwise in football.

Take Middlesborough for example. In reasonable form, just beat us away from home, Pulis came available and they sacked Monk after that in order to recruit an experienced, quality manager thats improved them no end. Pulis has taken 40 points (with a +15 GD) and got them in the play offs - in the time its taken us to get 27 points - with a -3 GD

Its not about sentiment, its about a fair and rational comparison.

If you choose to compare CC's record to Jos's record and ignore the circumstances then that's up to you.

Everyone knows its not a fair comparison in terms of preparation and injuries - but keep peddling the stats.

Its a bit like judging a fight between two boxers when one has one hand tied behind his back.

Guest Jack the Hat
17 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

This 100%!!!!

Under Carlos both last season and this some of the displays were awful, I got sick to the back teeth of watching Loovens and Lees passing the ball to each other while we took an age to get anywhere near the oppositions penalty area.

Off the top of my head I can think of Preston (a), Burton (a), Birmingham (a), Bolton (a), Bristol (a), Ipswich (a), Reading (a), Wolves (h) this season.

I haven't high-lighted these because they were bad performances but because our play was soooooooo boring and negative in them, Reading away probably being one of the worst games of football I have ever seen.

You can go back further, how about last season when we played Wigan on Sky, or the matches at Hillsborough where we got outplayed by Toy Town and Blackburn (2 sides that got relegated) and amazingly won them. Or how about the biggest games of the last 2 seasons, Wembley against Hull or the 2 legged semis against Huddersfield... negative yet again!!

All of them off the top of my head, all awful to watch.

No way is the football under Jos worse than it was under Carlos, especially as Jos hasn't had chance to play Hooper, Fletcher, Lee and Winnall and only recently been able to play Bannan and Forestieri.

Spot on.And this then led to the next stage - being easy to play against!!

You can’t really compare the two, the only similarity is, they both play a slightly negative brand of football 

Carlos in his first season, probably set the bar rather too high, attacking football, and a place in the play off final Last season, not so good, at least as far as the entertainment went, but again made the play offs

This season, a season decimated by injuries, both Carlos and Jos have struggled 

With a full close season, and a bit of tweaking to the squad, Jos should be able to show what he can do He will have his work cut out to better Carlos’s first season though

7 hours ago, gurujuan said:

You can’t really compare the two, the only similarity is, they both play a slightly negative brand of football 

Carlos in his first season, probably set the bar rather too high, attacking football, and a place in the play off final Last season, not so good, at least as far as the entertainment went, but again made the play offs

This season, a season decimated by injuries, both Carlos and Jos have struggled 

With a full close season, and a bit of tweaking to the squad, Jos should be able to show what he can do He will have his work cut out to better Carlos’s first season though

CC’s first season wasn’t negative. 

Edited by AwokenGiant

On 28 April 2018 at 17:45, darra said:

Carlos knew that he wouldn't finish the season with us so his preparation was poor starting with the pre season beach party. One thing I don't miss is his constant tinkering with the side through squad rotation. Jos has managed to get players like Nuhiu and Joao to play and made us think that Rhodes might do something with him as manager. Think Carlos has been found out already by the Premiership and he's reverted to his sitting back default setting.

And many criticise CC for sticking with his favourites - just goes to show we all think we know better.

We were superb in cc first season apart from our two biggest matches. It's obvious now that cc didn't pick the teams for those games against Stoke and Hull because both games were totally out of character for our style of play and team selection that season. 

JL is a ventriloquists dummy as cc became. They have that in common. 

I remember the beautiful football we played against Cardiff at Hillsborough the season we got to Wembley. Its the best I've seen is play since big Ron had us when we got promoted.

I don't think jl knows what that kind of football is. Anyway, we haven't the players to do it any more 

4 minutes ago, Mrmason69 said:

We were superb in cc first season apart from our two biggest matches. It's obvious now that cc didn't pick the teams for those games against Stoke and Hull because both games were totally out of character for our style of play and team selection that season. 

JL is a ventriloquists dummy as cc became. They have that in common. 

I remember the beautiful football we played against Cardiff at Hillsborough the season we got to Wembley. Its the best I've seen is play since big Ron had us when we got promoted.

I don't think jl knows what that kind of football is. Anyway, we haven't the players to do it any more 

Same sh!te ,different day.

On 28/04/2018 at 17:28, @owlstalk said:

Carlos Carvalhal Sheffield Wednesday Football Club.jpg

#SWFC made the change to take Carlos Carvalhal out of the equation and replaced him with Jos Luhukay.

This isn't going to go into anything other than to ask the simple question..

Given everything that has happened since Carlos left the club was Mr Chansiri correct to make the change?

of course he was.

On 28/04/2018 at 18:21, thoß said:

Lets not forget, we brought CC in as a DoF/coach initially. He was brilliant, and we were all charmed. But, not a long term 'manager'. 

PS https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sheffield-Wednesday-sticker-Jos-Luhukay-JOS-WE-CAN/183029460828

had carlos been appointed as coach with a dof above him, we may have actually won promotion. 

although far from certain it was likely to change the wembley outcome, our 'uddersfield home game would have had him getting an arse kicking by half time.