#OnThis Day in 1980

We stuttered through the first half of the season,suffered two home defeats on the trot,but kept in contention.

We got some momentum around february,Curran had more freedom and we just went on a roll from there.

It was a great day down in exeter,despite the defeat,I celebrated on the pitch with a few of the players,it had been a long journey from burtenshaw to Ashurst and Big Jack completed the job,and we had Sheffield lads right through the team.Long journey by train as well,but a day to remember

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, legendaryswan said:

We stuttered through the first half of the season,suffered two home defeats on the trot,but kept in contention.

We got some momentum around february,Curran had more freedom and we just went on a roll from there.

It was a great day down in exeter,despite the defeat,I celebrated on the pitch with a few of the players,it had been a long journey from burtenshaw to Ashurst and Big Jack completed the job,and we had Sheffield lads right through the team.Long journey by train as well,but a day to remember

Didn’t we win away at reading on the Friday night before Xmas (we didn’t win away very often in them days),then after the BDM went on a run till the end of the season with just an odd defeat or two ? 

5 minutes ago, brian joicey said:

Didn’t we win away at reading on the Friday night before Xmas (we didn’t win away very often in them days),then after the BDM went on a run till the end of the season with just an odd defeat or two ? 

We didnt play in the 3rd round of the cup after boxing day,the next game was at home to plymouth and we lost,we got a hard fought point down at brentford a week later, the following week was cup week again,the we hammered colchester and bury both at home in early feb

39 minutes ago, brian joicey said:

Good website here...

http://www.adrianbullock.com/swfc/stats/lg1980.htm

Just a shame it only goes up to 1995.

7 minutes ago, Hughdowd said:

Won 1-0 at reading...Jeff Johnson scored...first away win in 30 odd matches !!!....massive away support that game too...invaded pitch at final whistle...crazy days...but we loved it !!!lol

Wasn't that 76-77, having not won away in our first season in Div 3?

I thought we won 2-0 at Reading on a Friday night just before Christmas nicely setting us up for Boxing day.......and we all know what happened then lol

14 minutes ago, Bramhall Owl said:

Wasn't that 76-77, having not won away in our first season in Div 3?

I thought we won 2-0 at Reading on a Friday night just before Christmas nicely setting us up for Boxing day.......and we all know what happened then lol

Yeah that's correct. Reading in 76-77 was my first Wednesday away win and I'd been to a fair few by then!

I think Charlie Williamson made his debut in the game before Boxing Day

We were inconsistent in the early part of the season, we always seemed to get a couple of decent results and then we'd have a bit of a mare. Remember the 4-3 win at Wimbledon was a great game and then the following week we put up an awful performance at home to Barnsley and lost. So we hovered around the top six whilst United were top nearly every week.

That was what made the BDM so important, because it was a turning point. Although, in typical fashion, we lost the next home game we then went on that long unbeaten run whilst United just fell away. I saw most of the games in that February/March period when we were just relentless. I particularly remember the win at Oxford and the way Brian Hornsby just totally controlled the game. And Terry Curran, given a free role, was just unstoppable. 

And that night at Blackburn; one of those nights that is simply unforgettable. I do remember, though, that Spider admitted his diving header was a bit of an accident; tripped over his own feet as he charged into the area. Looked great at the time though!

1 hour ago, fredmciverslovechild said:

We were inconsistent in the early part of the season, we always seemed to get a couple of decent results and then we'd have a bit of a mare. Remember the 4-3 win at Wimbledon was a great game and then the following week we put up an awful performance at home to Barnsley and lost. So we hovered around the top six whilst United were top nearly every week.

That was what made the BDM so important, because it was a turning point. Although, in typical fashion, we lost the next home game we then went on that long unbeaten run whilst United just fell away. I saw most of the games in that February/March period when we were just relentless. I particularly remember the win at Oxford and the way Brian Hornsby just totally controlled the game. And Terry Curran, given a free role, was just unstoppable. 

And that night at Blackburn; one of those nights that is simply unforgettable. I do remember, though, that Spider admitted his diving header was a bit of an accident; tripped over his own feet as he charged into the area. Looked great at the time though!

Absolutely. The first half of the season was so frustrating and it was a good job our away form was so good as we were bang average at home.

However, after the loss to Brentford (I think after BDM) we were awesome and, as you say, Curran was unstoppable given a different role. 

Regrettably, I couldn't make the Blackburn game and had to catch snippets on the radio. It's right up with games I wished I'd been to, probably even more so than Hartlepool at Cardiff as it effectively clinched promotion for us after years in the wilderness. The more I hear about that night, the more I wished I'd been there with the 50,000 who attended lol