#OnThis Day in 1980

7 minutes ago, RockieOwl said:

Befoe my time.... but were we already pretty much guaranteed to go up because of the goal difference or did Chesterfield mess up in their game?

Think Chesterfield failed to win their game. 

Remember stood on the pitch listening to someone's radio for confirmation

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, RockieOwl said:

Befoe my time.... but were we already pretty much guaranteed to go up because of the goal difference or did Chesterfield mess up in their game?

Going into the game we were four points clear of Chesterfield; we had two games to play and they had three. If they had won that day and then beaten United in mid-week (which they did) it could have gone down to the last day.

As it was they lost at Millwall so our goal difference made promotion a certainty.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BIG D said:

I went on the train.

It was a bit of an anti-climax to be fair but Blackburn a few days before was a magnificent evening, one of the best.

Think we took two trains and for some reason our objective as soon as the final whistle went was to leg it to the station to get the first one back. 

Not sure in those pre internet days that we even knew we had definitely been promoted. Don't remember celebrating.

I went on the train with the London Owls. Saw the 1-0 defeat but then the lap of honour at the end on hearing Chesterfield had lost. knew we'd been promoted. Best defeat ever!

Jack Charlton was brilliant   I was at the match sat a few rows in front of him in the north  little did I know him climbing over the wall and walking across the pitch to take the job meant the start of the end of a really dark period 

7 hours ago, upperwinngardensowl said:

Think we took two trains and for some reason our objective as soon as the final whistle went was to leg it to the station to get the first one back. 

Not sure in those pre internet days that we even knew we had definitely been promoted. Don't remember celebrating.

I remember Inter City Owl running 2 trains, confirmation of promotion came via radio 2 in those days. We weren't mathematically up but they had to be I think a 16 goal turnaround in last fixture, we were at home to Carlisle who were struggling.

We drew 0-0, no idea what Chesterfield did.

Guest Jack the Hat
11 hours ago, torryowl said:

probably our greatest ever defeat ......

That's a bold statement. There's been so many!!!!!